Dreamcast VS Cable Questions

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Grey Fox
lithium

Re: Dreamcast VS Cable Questions

Post#11 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:34 pm

I got one back in the day.

Ferrari F355 uses it

Virtual On and I think a couple of the AeroWings games

Hell Gate also has it as an option as well I believe

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Heckgate can syslink ? WTF !

I tried countless times to clear first level .. but once you go down between canyons and have to go to key locations I just got destroyed dozens of times right there .. to destroy like three shits

Fuck I wanted to see more of it so bad .. but it's so hardcore tonsa damage taking even that you're never still always strafe n full throttle I still get wrecked in that shit ..

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#13 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:58 pm

Got this in the other day.

I tried system linking 2 copies of Hellgate. It sort of works but one player cannot damage the other player, the sounds are messed up and keep looping, and sometimes one players weapon will mirror the other one's. If they finished this game it would have been pretty neat.

Has anyone experienced connection loss when linking VOOT? One copy is original and the other is burned. Could that be the problem? I'd appreceate any pointers.
Attachments
IMG_3879[1].JPG

Kerry
noob

Post#14 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:33 am

Does anyone have the link to the assembler games walk through to show how the cabling goes? I've got a number of correct sized connectors for the serial port however need to know how to route the cables in the correct order and whether I need any extra parts. If someone knows the direct link then we should be able to load the website using wayback machine

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#15 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:16 pm

These are the games that support the VS Cable =)

F355 Challenge (US and EU version by button combination, JP by default)
Virtual On Oratorio Tangram (US version by button combination, JP by default)
SEGA Tetris (JP exclusive)
Aero Dancing F, I and

Padre
photon blast

Post#16 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:26 am

OGDCFAN99 wrote:Got this in the other day.

I tried system linking 2 copies of Hellgate. It sort of works but one player cannot damage the other player, the sounds are messed up and keep looping, and sometimes one players weapon will mirror the other one's. If they finished this game it would have been pretty neat.

Has anyone experienced connection loss when linking VOOT? One copy is original and the other is burned. Could that be the problem? I'd appreceate any pointers.

Yes, both games need to be originals for VOOT, it took me a long time to figure that out, I had the same problem you're having... it'll connect and then disconnect...

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#17 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:01 pm

Didn't Sega Rally 2 also have a hidden VS feature in the JP release?

Kurasiu
fire

Post#18 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:16 am

Apparently only four game officially supported the cable.
http://segaretro.org/Dreamcast_Taisen_Cable

However I heard some rumours that Daytona USA 2001 (Jap. version) also supports it?

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#19 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:53 am

The rumor of Daytona USA 2001 Japanese originated from a pirated version by one release group that mentioned cable play / VS being a feature in it's NFO. This proved to be false, personally I also looked for years and eventually found that particular image and looked into it, but it's just not there.

@Raen, I think you might be mistaken with it's online play function. None of the versions out there support cable play unfortunately.

MagicBalloon
shadow

Post#20 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:39 pm

Padre wrote:
OGDCFAN99 wrote:Got this in the other day.

Yes, both games need to be originals for VOOT, it took me a long time to figure that out, I had the same problem you're having... it'll connect and then disconnect...

I hate to necropost, but just wanted to comment on this:

TLDR: Though you do not necessarily require two original copies of VOOT for a Vs. Cable match to work, both copies of the game must be the same. You can even mix GD-ROM and GDEMU if you want to.

I recently received a repro Vs. Cable from RetroOnyx and was pretty excited to try it out. I used a GDEMU Dreamcast I've had for ages and another I grabbed off FB marketplace for cheap recently with its GD-ROM drive intact and a burned copy of VOOT. At first it kept bugging out and knocking me back to the main menu instantly: turns out one player HAS to select DNA and the other HAS to select RNA. It doesn't matter who picks which, but if you both pick the same thing, it won't work.
After I figured that out, I ran into another problem: I could select the Virtualoids and the stage, but after the loading screen, the game would appear for half a second, then the error "The Dreamcast Vs. Cable has been disconnected" would appear and the game would again dump back to the main menu. My first thought was "Shit, it must be because one is a CD-R and one is a GDEMU and the load times don't match up perfectly or something." I tried messing with the GDEMU settings to change this, but the same thing happened.
Then I got smart and realized that the rippers who created the CDI file I'm using on the CD-R probably changed enough of the image so that a GDI copy of the game can't handshake with the crunched-down CDI copy (I just grabbed one off the net quickly: it's the same old one with the cracktro that's probably been around since the early 2000s lol). Once I put the CDI image on the GDEMU, everything worked perfectly.

I know you can get VOOT on the Xbox 360/Xbone, but that (1) wouldn't have splitscreen capability, (2) require a switch since I don't think you can just plug two Xboxes together and make them network, and (3) necessitates buying 2 used 360s/Xbones, controllers, etc, which is probably more expensive. Plus I can also play F355 and try out those Aero Dancing games.