Just got my Dreamcast in HD!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Smokey
lithium

Just got my Dreamcast in HD!

Post#1 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:52 pm

So after wanting to do this for years, I finally got this done!

Spent hours researching VGA boxes, VGA cables, upscalers and such. I finally settled on the retro-bit VGA cable, The Orei VGA to HDMI upscaler and now my Dreamcast is in glorious HD and looks beautiful and all for just over $50!

Stuff I purchased:
Retrobit VGA Cable for Dreamcast

OREI XD-600 VGA PC/Laptop to HDMI Video Converter -Upscaler Up to 720P/1080P Converter with Audio Jack

and for the audio for VGA I got This $5 adapter.

And it looks epic in glorious 720P! (Don't mind the messy cables still sorting things a bit)

So, how'd I do for $50? :D

Strik3r91
letterbomb

Re: Just got my Dreamcast in HD!

Post#2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:13 am

U still have to work with colors on the tv display :-) or is it camera?
From love, with Russia :)

natelegz
minority

Post#3 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:50 am

thanks for posting the links where you purchased I'm going to invest in this soon

colgate
Doom

Post#4 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:13 am

How about lag?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Smokey
lithium

Post#5 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:31 am

colgate wrote:How about lag?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I haven't noticed any lag. I haven't played too many games on the setup yet but I haven't noticed any lag. if there is any, it's minor, so minor I can't notice it. Now that you said it, I will play something soon and look for any input lag, but as far as I know as of this post, there is none!

And you're welcome for the links! The colors might be the camera, it looks decent on my TV. Although I did adjust the brightness because the upscaler does make it a little too dark for my tastes, so it could be either the camera or the brightness setting of my tv, either way, it doesn't bother me and doesn't effect the experience. :)

Farmhouse
lithium

Post#6 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:26 am

Nice. Switching to HD is like playing a whole different console! You can use a Codebreaker disc or the swap cable method for the few games that don't support VGA.

Smokey
lithium

Post#7 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Farmhouse wrote:Nice. Switching to HD is like playing a whole different console! You can use a Codebreaker disc or the swap cable method for the few games that don't support VGA.

I know :D I have a codebreaker. :) I used to be a code hacker back in the day. :)

For those who are interested in purchasing the stuff I used and want a tutorial on how to set it all up, I've posted one in the resources section of my website

*shameless plug* - How to get your Dreamcast in HD - cost efficiently/on a budget

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:38 pm

Smokey , "You do not have permission to view the full content of this resource." wee

People hafta have they HDMI .. 0.o Nice gear

Smokey
lithium

Post#9 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:50 pm

mistamontiel wrote:Smokey , "You do not have permission to view the full content of this resource." wee

People hafta have they HDMI .. 0.o Nice gear

D'oh! Not sure why it's doing that. I'll look into fixing that, alternatively, registration takes a matter of seconds to complete.

Will try to fix that issue. :D

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post#10 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:25 pm

Devils fan?

I'm fricking depressed. Red wings suck monkey butt this year; missing the playoffs for the first time since 25 years ago.

Pistons are crap too.

But nice setup.