New Dreamcast HDMI Box!!!!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Xiden
Developer

New Dreamcast HDMI Box!!!!

Post#1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:53 am

Finally a proper way to get HDMI out of a Dreamcast is coming this month from guys who brought you the toro box!

This is freaking epic!

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/aku ... box.64520/

K0rN b4LL
fire

Re: New Dreamcast HDMI Box!!!!

Post#2 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:30 pm

It seems its a straight 1:1 480p over the hdmi cable. This might be a problem on games that only run in 480i since a lot of tvs can't take 480i signals through the hdmi port.

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:43 pm

K0rN b4LL wrote:It seems its a straight 1:1 480p over the hdmi cable. This might be a problem on games that only run in 480i since a lot of tvs can't take 480i signals through the hdmi port.

The box doesn't output in 480i, only does 480p. I asked about how it will handle 480i games. I assume it just requires using a codebreakers disc.

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:10 pm

480i games will work with codebreakers swap, so same as vga boxes do now.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#5 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:27 pm

I would really consider one! I have a spare hdmi port on my TV not in use. And. No via port. So everything I play Is just rca.

SirNyan
dark night

Post#6 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:28 am

Very cool! Bought a Kuro from them back in the Spring of last year. They do some very legit work. Looking forward to see how this turns out.
Looking for awesome Independent Dreamcast games? Visit The Bit Station at www.thebitstationgames.com!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#7 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:00 am

I just bought a converter that works here in North America for $4.90. Converts and does not distort the image, 480p (no scan converting). My HDTV has a VGA but did not like the VGA signal but converting it to HDMI and using the HDMI port on the HDTV works great.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:24 am

They've got some competition! ;-) It's not quite as fancy as the Akura but it's got a nice minimal design. I used off-the-shelf parts to build it so it will probably be about half the price. This current version, like the Akura, doesn't do upconversion so it's not going to work with capture devices like the Elgato that don't support 640x480 over HDMI. I am looking into making a version that does do upconversion however.

C2I9OI7XAAIo-Vc.jpg large.jpg

C2JA5BcXcAAa8E1.jpg large.jpg
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#9 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:41 am

Me like!

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#10 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:11 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:They've got some competition! ;-) It's not quite as fancy as the Akura but it's got a nice minimal design. I used off-the-shelf parts to build it so it will probably be about half the price. This current version, like the Akura, doesn't do upconversion so it's not going to work with capture devices like the Elgato that don't support 640x480 over HDMI. I am looking into making a version that does do upconversion however.

C2I9OI7XAAIo-Vc.jpg large.jpg

C2JA5BcXcAAa8E1.jpg large.jpg

if you could make on that properly upscales I'm all in!