cooling mod recommendations

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dreamcast459
dark night

cooling mod recommendations

Post#1 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:59 am

ok so i have a VA-1 dreamcast that im going to be installing a GDEMU in and i figured since im taking it apart i might as well do some cooling mods to prolong the life? no idea if the DC uses thermal pads or thermal paste or even heatsinks what mods do you recommend to help with cooling? please dont tell me the mods are worthless

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Re: cooling mod recommendations

Post#2 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:30 pm

Have you already upgraded the fan? a noctua fan and 3d printed adapters are pretty common parts off ebay now-a-days.

I know people have added custom heatsink for overclocked boards but idk if that was needed for the gdemu. Mine does run a little hot but it hasn't been a problem.
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

dreamcast459
dark night

Post#3 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:55 am

nope no fan mod yet still using the stock fan but i deff wanna prolong the life of my system

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:07 am

The dreamcast uses 1.5mm thermal pads

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:52 pm

The VA0 consoles actually have heatpipes and they are super over engineered but that is not a bad thing and those consoles are sought after due to better cooling..

But still just adding a noctua fan mod upgrade to your VA1 would be sufficient.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#6 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:17 pm

Noctua fan moves less air than the original fan, not increasing but lowering the cooling capacity.

The only advantage is that it's quieter.

Stump909
shadow

Post#7 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:45 pm

OGDCFAN99 wrote:Noctua fan moves less air than the original fan, not increasing but lowering the cooling capacity.

Do you have CFM measurements for comparison?

Pastel
shadow

Post#8 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:14 am

I've heard of one or two people replacing the thermal pads with appropriately-sized copper shims with thermal compound on both sides of the shim. It seems overkill, but they overclocked their system so it made sense. It works very well for other things that have thermal pads (GPUs, namely) so I assume it'd work equally well for the DC.

I'm going to try this with my DC in the future so I will let you know about that.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#9 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:11 pm

OGDCFAN99 wrote:Noctua fan moves less air than the original fan, not increasing but lowering the cooling capacity.

This is a myth. The original fan has an airflow rating of 5.9m³/h, whereas the Noctua that most people use is at 8.2m³/h. Both use the same voltage too. I think this paranoia about the silent fan not pushing as much air might come from PS2 modders, where the Noctua fans being used for those consoles have a similar airflow rating to the originals but are being used at a lower voltage than they're designed for, thus there's concern that they might not be as effective.

If anything, the Dreamcast PSU just gets very hot. If you're extra concerned about prolonging the life of the console against heat, look for a good quality Pico PSU to use as a cooler replacement.
Last edited by OlivusPrime on Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#10 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:45 pm

I run Dream PSU's and thermal pad replacements on all m DC's and they all run as cool as can be with their stock fans (single drop of mineral oil in the motor shaft makes them run like new)

You are correct the Noctua fan does have a higher airflow rating but the Dreamcast either doesn't seem to supply it with enough amps to achieve it even if the voltage ratings would suggest so... or the 3D printed fan shroud isn't as air tight (thus not as effective at getting all the hot air out of the vent as the original fan's shroud).

Either way just hold your hand next to the exhaust vent and feel the difference for yourself. Put ear plugs in if you have to so the noise output doesn't subconsciously skew your opinion. You don't need any fancy tools or advanced knowledge on electronics to see what I mean.

Its been commented on in this forum quite a bit but no one's made an actual thread about it. And also it has nothing to do with the PS2 modding scene..I don't even have a PS2 :lol:

Return to “Lounge”