Dreamcast Beta Confirm / Debunk List

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Dreamcast Beta Confirm / Debunk List

Post#11 » Thu May 19, 2022 9:30 am

Got some more info about Picassio. Sadly it seems the "gameplay" footage on YouTube is actually just a scripted in-engine demo and there's no actual gameplay. This is as far as it got. It apparently used the same engine as Renegade Racers.

Picassio never got beyond an in-engine scripted sequence. There was never a game, just the paper design and an art generated sequence.

I wrote the PC part of the engine for what was original Powerboat Racing 2, this get canned and replaced with Renegade Racer. It was in many ways over the top, as we had worked with (and been paid by) Intel on the tech which would become Pentium 3 (SSE etc.). So we did a bunch of demos for them, as part that we have tools to do quite complex scripted scenes. So Picassio was a pitch that used that tech to show in-game footage.

The Dreamcast engine was based on the PC (tho with a new custom transform engine rather than the SSE based pc one), I can't remember if we actually ran Picassio on Dreamcast, though we could have. The GC/PS2 was purely 'intention' from our boss Russell try to get a deal.
NVIDIA once said that we had the fastest engine at that time (we could push more polygons than there latest card could handle, over 1.2 Millions tris with lighting a second! Hilariously low compared to now :D), so it was great for doing demos, as we could throw unoptimized assets and it would still run well. We did a few car driving demos, in a similar way. Dropped in high poly car assets (over 10K per car :O) using the Renegade Racer driving engine.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#12 » Thu May 19, 2022 9:43 am

I've listened about <Woody Woodpecker Racing in assembler games forum.
Seems to be the closest prototype to a release.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#13 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:17 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:Got some more info about Picassio. Sadly it seems the "gameplay" footage on YouTube is actually just a scripted in-engine demo and there's no actual gameplay. This is as far as it got. It apparently used the same engine as Renegade Racers.

Picassio never got beyond an in-engine scripted sequence. There was never a game, just the paper design and an art generated sequence.

I wrote the PC part of the engine for what was original Powerboat Racing 2, this get canned and replaced with Renegade Racer. It was in many ways over the top, as we had worked with (and been paid by) Intel on the tech which would become Pentium 3 (SSE etc.). So we did a bunch of demos for them, as part that we have tools to do quite complex scripted scenes. So Picassio was a pitch that used that tech to show in-game footage.

The Dreamcast engine was based on the PC (tho with a new custom transform engine rather than the SSE based pc one), I can't remember if we actually ran Picassio on Dreamcast, though we could have. The GC/PS2 was purely 'intention' from our boss Russell try to get a deal.
NVIDIA once said that we had the fastest engine at that time (we could push more polygons than there latest card could handle, over 1.2 Millions tris with lighting a second! Hilariously low compared to now :D), so it was great for doing demos, as we could throw unoptimized assets and it would still run well. We did a few car driving demos, in a similar way. Dropped in high poly car assets (over 10K per car :O) using the Renegade Racer driving engine.

Do you plan to add quotes from devs you didnt talk to but had mentioned they had it running on dc? For example grand theft auto 3 with rockstar directly mentioned dc prototypes. Ssx with lead boss mentioning it was also on dreamcast. Or zone of the enders with lead programmer admiting first versions of prototypes were on dreamcast?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#14 » Thu May 19, 2022 10:45 am

cloofoofoo wrote:Do you plan to add quotes from devs you didnt talk to but had mentioned they had it running on dc? For example grand theft auto 3 with rockstar directly mentioned dc prototypes. Ssx with lead boss mentioning it was also on dreamcast. Or zone of the enders with lead programmer admiting first versions of prototypes were on dreamcast?

No, this is really just my own personal list. I'm only adding info for games that I've personally confirmed.
PSO Characters:

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#15 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:22 am

this is a very valuable resource that you have given to us.
thanks pc.

colgate
Doom

Post#16 » Thu May 19, 2022 4:03 pm

3d motion controls for Skies?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#17 » Thu May 19, 2022 4:40 pm

Update: Added new info on Renegade Racers! I'm told the game was 100% completed but the publisher didn't think it was worth the cost of releasing it on a platform that was on its way out. I actually might be able to get ahold of the completed build but it might be a while. No guarantees but I'm pretty confident. :)

colgate wrote:3d motion controls for Skies?

As in moving a character around in 3D space. Not motion controls. lol
PSO Characters:

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#18 » Sat May 21, 2022 10:49 pm

Well I'm sure this is going to disappoint a few people but I'm now able to confirm that SSX was never playable on Dreamcast. While Dreamcast was the original target console very early on, prototyping was only done on PC. Console development didn't start until the switch to PS2.

From the executive producer:
I don't have that much to share on the topic other than very early on in the development of what became SSX we were prototyping in a PC environment initially thinking that it might make sense for the Dreamcast. However, when EA leadership was unable to make a deal with Sega that made sense for EA, we were told that we (as a company) would not be focusing on Dreamcast as a platform. At that point, we began to move our focus to the PS2, which I believe ended up being a better fit for what we were trying to do title.
PSO Characters:

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#19 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:40 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Well I'm sure this is going to disappoint a few people but I'm now able to confirm that SSX was never playable on Dreamcast. While Dreamcast was the original target console very early on, prototyping was only done on PC. Console development didn't start until the switch to PS2.

From the executive producer:
I don't have that much to share on the topic other than very early on in the development of what became SSX we were prototyping in a PC environment initially thinking that it might make sense for the Dreamcast. However, when EA leadership was unable to make a deal with Sega that made sense for EA, we were told that we (as a company) would not be focusing on Dreamcast as a platform. At that point, we began to move our focus to the PS2, which I believe ended up being a better fit for what we were trying to do title.

EA didn't publish any games for the system so not surprising.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#20 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:51 pm

dubcity wrote:EA didn't publish any games for the system so not surprising.

It seems as though they weren't 100% against it but nothing ever actually happened obviously. There's a rumor that Urbz: Sims in the City started out as game for PC and Dreamcast but websites that state this don't cite any sources. I'm trying to see if I can confirm this. I managed to contact the producer who said he didn't recall anything about a Dreamcast version but admitted his memory is a bit fuzzy. I'm waiting to hear from others.
PSO Characters: