NFL2k series roster file

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: NFL2k series roster file

Post#11 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:38 pm

Cool
Last edited by Bob Dobbs on Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#12 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:38 pm

CFL!!!!
Last edited by Bob Dobbs on Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#13 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:46 pm

I'm thinking the 2k3 roster is encrypted but we have each roster from the nfl 2k series on dc to compare. (updated first post with each roster) I did watch a few youtube videos of espn 2k5 to see all of the mods that have been made for that game in 2021. It is absolutely amazing stuff.

I'm really interested in seeing if at first we can figure out simply a name swap. Next character swap. Maybe even viewing in memory editor while using nulldc we can track down character data. Possibly custom created character data could then be swapped back into hex. Its actually much more to do.

Who knows?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#14 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:50 pm

Sounds like witchcraft, using that there hex word....lol! Actually, I will look to see if Blue Swirl has a save with a roster update. Most likely not, but it's worth the ol' college NCAA try...lol!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#15 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:58 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:One big ism with NFL2K2 is that Tom Brady was the forth string QB during the development of the game. Just before the season started, two of the QBs were no longer with the New England Patriots, so only one of the two QBs on the Dreamcast roster for the Patriots was actually a member of the New England Patriots. Brady wound up being the starter that season. From worst to first. So, no classic Brady/Manning shootout.

True, and hard to believe - the GOAT quarterback of the NFL could of easily been a pre-season cut as normally only 3 qb's are kept on the roster. In an unusual move the Patriots kept 4, and the rest is history.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#16 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:02 pm

Can we add Michael Jackson to the roster? After all he was in 'Ready 2 Rumble 2' wasn't he?
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#17 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:11 pm

Yes, he was.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#18 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:17 am

I remember when I was trying to blank the player names etc.

I was thinking perhaps we just use the NCAA Roster File in it's place and just roll with NUMBERED NAMED Players , So this way a roster being current or not doesn't matter.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#19 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:28 am

The names listed in roster are also in order with the character data as well.
We could swap around character data as well as roster names.
Maybe eventually figure out custom player character data?
There is much more to do, but this means its possible.

If you look at the 2k2 roster the first player listed is Mike Gruttadauria.

Here is Mike Gruttadauria's character data in hex editor. (in order 1st listed character data)

Here is Mike Gruttadauria after I changed values of the character data in memory editor LOL!

Here is Corey Chavous after memory edit (2nd listed in roster, 2nd listed in character data)

fraggle200
chill

Post#20 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:07 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

at least you know you're on the right track.

I had another shot in Ghidra with the R2000.IFF file when I had a few minutes and I'm still not turning much up, code wise. Which leads me to 1 of 2 thoughts. either I've not found the correct decompiler for it yet or it is just a roster/stadium file that lists players and stadiums and nothing more and there's a binary somewhere else that references it and does something with that data. there's an awful lot of wasted space in the file if that was the case though so I'm sure there must be more to it. another issue is that *.IFF is a catch all file type so it could be used for any thing with any means under any circs so it's harder to pin it down to what exactly it's trying to do rather than just list players/stadium.

where did you get the char data? another file?