Fixing a discolored part on Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dastroyer
noob

Fixing a discolored part on Dreamcast

Post#1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum thing, hoping someone could help me out. I've come into ownership of a Dreamcast that looks like this. The shell is fine everywhere except the spot that you see in the picture below. It's bugging me a lot that its a dried out white and not the grey its supposed to be. I'm considering spraypainting the part grey just to get it close to its original color. I'm wondering if anyone who has experience painting their Dreamcasts would have any suggestions?

Would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: I'm referring to the trapezoid plastic piece near the triangle where the LED light comes on. It's like a sun damaged white color, not painted.
Attachments
IMG_2524.JPG
Last edited by dastroyer on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Re: Fixing a discolored part on Dreamcast

Post#2 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:04 am

Hi there, im offshore and can only see lo-res picture so can't make out where the discolouration is. If it is discolouration rather than a stain; it can be fixed through a procedure known as 'retrobrite'. I have used that on a Dreamcast before and a BBA I bought with excellent results. I used a 10% cream peroxide mixture. google 'retrobrite'.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#3 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:34 am

If you mean that separate trapezoid plastic piece right above the power LED, I never seen one becoming white from discoloration. To me it looks like somone painted it white on purpose to match the rest of the disc lid. Maybe try some kind of paint remover? Tho dunno how that would affect the plastic.

dastroyer
noob

Post#4 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:39 pm

Yea I am referring to the trapezoid part. It's not painted over, it aoppers to be faded from sun damage. The rest of the casing is fairly white looking, so not sure what happened.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#5 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Well that's super weird because sun exposure turns these plastics yellow, not white. If it's not painted, then your options are to either try to retrobrite it (dunno if that would do anything in this case tho) or paint it.

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#6 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:59 pm

It's why I bought the Black Sports one :)