Dreamcast-Talk outage

Website Updates and Support for Dc Talk will be posted here.
Also post your feedback and suggestions for the site.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Impulse
Admin

Dreamcast-Talk outage

Post#1 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:37 pm

Hello dudes,

First of all, I want to say that I am sorry for the multiple day outage. It was difficult reaching my web host support team to get this straightened out. My account was abruptly taken offline without warning. So apparently the forum is using too much server resources all of the sudden. I know this is an active forum but I find it hard to believe that it was causing excess load on their server. Possible situations are that someone was exploiting a script on the forum and/or spamming. And that caused excess connections. not 100% sure but they are urging me to purchase a VPS. Which is currently not in my budget as that would be $30 per month. On top of hosting the game servers that does not fit in our budget. We're looking into other cost effective options for hosting this forum and will most likely be switching hosts after the new year.

I anticipate the server to be brought offline again at some point due to "excess load". So if this happens again you'll already know what caused it. I hope everyone can be patient during this bumpy time. And soon I'll have all the bugs sorted out.

You'll also noticed the avatars are not aligned properly now. I've updated the phpbb code and something small broke. Well I'll fix that dont worry haha.

PS
The new server we're looking at won't have any timeouts or slow loading times. Will be lightning fast just like our game servers if you catch my drift ;)
-Impulse

Xiden
Developer

Re: Dreamcast-Talk outage

Post#2 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:41 pm

I noticed the other night I would get SQL errors saying max connections when I tried again later I was able to access the site

everynewday84
Nemesis

Post#3 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:17 pm

You have my support. Ill donate whatever is needed to keep this dream afloat.
This is a message to you:
Do what you love; Love what you do.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:38 pm

Glad it's back! I was starting to having withdrawals! :lol: I definitely will be making a donation to the site soon to help with costs. We need Dreamcast-Talk to stay alive and kicking! :D I actually started a Patreon recently for Dreamcast Live and plan to use some of the proceeds to help with that exact thing.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

dreamtrain
undertow

Post#5 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:32 pm

I'm glad you got the site back up again, even if it might not last long it's better than nothing :D Thanks for your work with the site I'll be sure to donate something towards the costs you face as soon as I get a chance

krssn
Metallic

Post#6 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:12 pm

The 'active topics' in the 'quick links' are still broken too.

I use the active topics as my bookmark, so I hope it gets fixed.

Good thing I tried the address without the active topics suffix, or I still would've thought the site was down.

I wonder if there's other people still think it is down because of that...

EDIT Fixed... ^^

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#7 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:18 am

You have my support... AND MY AXE. In addition to Patreon, let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#8 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:17 am

everything seems to be working except the forum page with the chat box on it...

Impulse
Admin

Post#9 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:59 am

Thanks for your support and understanding guys. Every little donation helps. 8-) I'll always keep dc talk running one way or another :ugeek:

HuntrRose wrote:everything seems to be working except the forum page with the chat box on it...

Can you private message me a screenshot of what you're seeing? Everything on the forum index page and chat box are working properly for me on Google Chrome mobile and desktop.
-Impulse

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#10 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:33 am