Layout Width

Website Updates and Support for Dc Talk will be posted here.
Also post your feedback and suggestions for the site.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Impulse
Admin

Layout Width

Post#1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Vasiliy wrote:My only wish for whole dc-talk forum is fullwidth layout .

Regarding Vasiliy's request, I expanded the width to 80% screen size. I don't think it looks best at 100% but I will continue to do some experiments. You will see the width change often within the next few days.
-Impulse

VasiliyRS
Uber

Re: Layout Width

Post#2 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Thank you for paying attention on my wish .

lazyhoboguy
fire

Post#3 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Personally I cannot stand forum layouts that stretch to completely fill up a widescreen monitor horrizontaly. At least on my 19inch lcd moniter it looks horrible when that happnes. Because you see text on the far left and far right, but in the middle of the page then there is nothing. So you constantly have to scan your eyes from the left to right to see everything when before it was all closer together and easier to read.

At 80% this doesn't look too bad, but I personally like having everything in the center more.
my youtube channel
my game collection
ps2onlinegaming.com [plan ps2 online and lan tunneling matches (xlink kai)]

lazyhoboguy
fire

Post#4 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Found some examples.

I think this (in the center) looks much better: http://www.styleswarehouse.com/phpbb2_demo/acidtech.html

than this (full widescreen):http://www.awesomestyles.com/phpbb3-styles/demo/acidtech
my youtube channel
my game collection
ps2onlinegaming.com [plan ps2 online and lan tunneling matches (xlink kai)]

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#5 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:02 pm

the problem that i am having is with my higher resolution settings. i use 1280 x 960 and it breaks the banner. i get two black bars, one on each side of the banner. when i put it on 1024 x 768 the banner fits perfectly. before the layout changes i didn't have nay problems with the banner.

Impulse
Admin

Post#6 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:18 am

Gary_b wrote:the problem that i am having is with my higher resolution settings. i use 1280 x 960 and it breaks the banner. i get two black bars, one on each side of the banner. when i put it on 1024 x 768 the banner fits perfectly. before the layout changes i didn't have nay problems with the banner.

After some testing, I prefer the width being fixed at 800 pixels wide becuase the banner was designed for it. I also agree with your comment, lazyhoboguy.

I plan on changing it back to 800px wide but I also understand that some users like it full screen. I will be working on another full screen style that should include all the features and pages of the default style. Users will then have a choice between fixed width and full screen versions.
-Impulse

Impulse
Admin

Post#7 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:16 am

I finished customizing the new full screen style for dc talk. It's an Ubuntu based style. I think it is unique and just so happens to be full screen. Style designed by http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org/

Follow this link ucp.php?i=165 and under "My board style:" choose the "fullscreen_ubuntu"

Enjoy.
-Impulse

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post#8 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:43 pm

Impulse wrote:I finished customizing the new full screen style for dc talk. It's an Ubuntu based style. I think it is unique and just so happens to be full screen. Style designed by http://ishimaru-design.servhome.org/

Follow this link ucp.php?i=165 and under "My board style:" choose the "fullscreen_ubuntu"

Enjoy.

I love the stretching forum width! Now I can zoom in without getting the bottom scrollbar, finally text is readable from where I'm supposed to sit!

Thank you!

Return to “Website Feedback, Updates and Support”