Why are SHMUPS so dang expensive?

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Neohound
Gold Lion

Re: Why are SHMUPS so dang expensive?

Post#11 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:16 am

Haha, there is definitely no link between the price and quality of a game on DC. Take driving games for instance, there is Taxi 2 Le Jeu for £100+ and F355 and Le Mans 24hr for less than a fiver ! what would you rather play ?

Actually, there are very few poor shmups on DC ? I think the quality of titles, even the independent ones, is very high. I can't see prices coming down anytime soon.

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post#12 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:52 pm

Tachikoma wrote:That's not the only reason. Part of it is to do with ebay seller tactics. It's been known for some ebay sellers to buy multiple copies of a game and then run a monopoly on prices.

Radiant Silvergun is probably the most famous title to do this. It's not a rare game by any stretch. I've been in shops in Osaka and seen them have no less than 7 copies of this game!

It's sellers deliberately upping the price, giving people the idea that the game is difficult to find, and highly sought after.

There are plenty of expensive games out there that don't sell (usually really crap titles). It's not just because the prices are high. It's because demand is low, and nobody wants to shell out £100+ for a game that's either crap and / or they're never going to play (here's looking at you Moho).

Man if I ever go to Japan I'm totally buying a bunch of copies of Radiant Silvergun lol

How much are they over there?

Tachikoma
lithium

Post#13 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:23 pm

GameOverYeah wrote:How much are they over there?

Not cheap enough to make much of a profit these days, I'm afraid.
Don't make war! Play video games.