19%
Dreamcast
60%
Total votes: 62

Tachikoma
lithium

Re: Best Sega console?

Post#21 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:52 am

GameOverYeah wrote:I was referring more to the PS2 and how it was marketed as some sort of Pentagon super-computer when its hardware wasn't even superior to the Dreamcast, and was inferior to X-Box and Gamecube alike. Also, how they used something completely non-game related (i.e. the fact that it also served as a DVD player) to sell more consoles, again when the X-Box and Gamecube were technically superior (especially X-Box).

Nonetheless... If you want to see a 3D game that was on both platforms, how about Dead or Alive? It looks better on the Saturn. The Saturn version is very close to the arcade version.

Indeed, there are games on the Dreamcast which are definitely more sound than their PS2 counterparts.

However, regarding the PS2's DVD marketing -- that's business dude! Sony gave buyers what they wanted. The PSX gave the best quality 3D games when 3D was the in-thing. They gave PS2 owners a DVD player in a console when everyone wanted a DVD player.

If it had been the other way round, and had Sega released a DVD player built in with the Dreamcast, whilst Sony hadn't, and had Sega triumphed as a consequence, would we be accusing Sega of dirty sales tactics? Probably not. Ultimately, it's just bitterness. But we have to take a step back and accept that Sony had an exceptional marketing team behind them during the late 90's, just like how Sega had one during the early 90's.

Speaking of which, much of Sega's successful and aggressive marketing campaign in the early 90s, which allowed them to sneer as much as 50% of the market from Nintendo has been widely documented, and it well worth looking into (check out some articles on the Sega-16 website). However, by the time the Saturn hit the scene, many of the folk responsible for the Megadrive (or Genesis') success had already abandoned ship for whatever reason.

But, yeah, it sucks that the PS2 was the final nail in Sega's coffin. But this wasn't before Sega chucked the body in there and hammered 100 of their own nails before Sony or Nintendo could get a chance.

Sega were, and always will be, the kings of true video game innovation (not your f-ing 'Nintendo gimmicks = innovation' crap), but let it be acknowledged that they were the absolute worst businessmen, particularly their Japanese division, who had absolutely no idea how to sell their products in the west, and practically had an antitrust policy with Sega of America up until the point where it was too late.
Heck, even magazines dedicated to supporting Sega's consoles, like Mean Machines, Sega Power, and Official Sega Saturn Magazine were often facepalming at Sega's absolute moronic business decisions.

In hindsight, I'm actually glad Sega went out with the Dreamcast. Why? Because the market for gaming was already changing, and many of the most talented members of Sega were already leaving to form knew companies anyway. I often speculate, had Sega somehow survived onto the next generation, the quality of their games would have nosedived anyway.

I do, however, wish that the Dreamcast had survived just a year or two longer. Had it done so, we would've possibly seen such games with an original release:

Super Monkey Ball
Half Life
Propeller Arena (maybe)
Shenmue 2
Maybe Shenmue 3
Gun Valkyrie (with the supposed light gun peripheral in use as the aim)
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Toejam & Earl 3
Jet Set Radio Future
Crazy Taxi 3 (not that I care so much for that loss)

There's probably other games, 1st or 3rd party that would've made the grade.
Don't make war! Play video games.

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post#22 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:36 pm

But the Dreamcast came out in 1998 in Japan. DVD's were a completely newfangled futuristic technology at the time. Think how many people you knew who had a DVD player in 1998, versus how many people you knew who had one in 2000 when the PS2 came out.

How can we expect the Dreamcast to have had DVD compatibility when the Gamecube or X-Box (which both came out in 2001 when DVD players were like 20 bucks a pop) didn't.

I agree, Sony did a lot of things very well. One of them was tapping into the non-gamer demographic, and the other thing was backwards compatibility.

But then again, Sony is floundering now. So maybe the non-Playstation aspects of their business needed some more attention.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#23 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:07 pm

Sorry to interject, but I just wanted to say I definitely love the Dreamcast the best !! Oh yeah, nothing has compared to how those games make me feel, the fun, the variety, the fantastic 480p ED graphics: COLOUR and CLARITY, the people I met when I went online for the first time in my life, the drama, the humour, the blood, DC Talk !, the goriness, the horror, the cheesy, the sporty.....it truly is the console for all seasons.

I've liked other consoles, namely the Acorn Electron and Acorn Archimedes, the Atari ST and Commodore Amiga plus Sega Megadrive, ps1, Ps2, GameCube, ps3, Xbox 360 but not the love affair I've had with the DC. Maybe the Nintendo DS would be second.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#24 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Dreamcast.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Tachikoma
lithium

Post#25 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:51 pm

GameOverYeah wrote:But the Dreamcast came out in 1998 in Japan. DVD's were a completely newfangled futuristic technology at the time. Think how many people you knew who had a DVD player in 1998, versus how many people you knew who had one in 2000 when the PS2 came out.

How can we expect the Dreamcast to have had DVD compatibility when the Gamecube or X-Box (which both came out in 2001 when DVD players were like 20 bucks a pop) didn't.

I agree, Sony did a lot of things very well. One of them was tapping into the non-gamer demographic, and the other thing was backwards compatibility.

There's no doubt the DC would've sold better had it been coupled with a DVD player, but despite aggressive marketing, the DC never reached mass appeal the way the Playstation brand did, and people still had little faith in Sega as a company after the Mega CD, 32x, and Saturn disasters, and rightfully so.

Sony, at the time, were also noted as a company for quality; not gaming, but televisions, music equipment, etc. The had the success, the marketing, the image, and the money to push the PS2 in ways that would've been impossible with the DC.

Furthermore, considering how temperamental Dreamcasts are anyways (I've had at least 6 die on me over the years), adding a DVD player would've likely made the machine even more unreliable.

Yes, I too have dreamed of a DVD Dreamcast, but I seriously doubt it would've reversed Sega's fortunes in the long run. If anything, uping the cost to lord knows how much more could have put them in even worse financial instability. Ala, all we can do is speculate.

But then again, Sony is floundering now. So maybe the non-Playstation aspects of their business needed some more attention.

Yeah, it's pretty ironic really. The Playstation brand is what's keeping Sony alive right now, it seems. What gets me is how they're not using the success of their gaming divisions to help promote the other sectors of the business which are ailing.
Don't make war! Play video games.

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#26 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:35 pm

Raen wrote:I'm a fan of the Master System and the Dreamcast, but on an impartial note, I voted for Mega Drive/Genesis.

:shock: I am stunned that you're the only one that said Genesis.
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN

FinedrivE
dirty sailor

Post#27 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Genesis.
I wouldn't even still be into games it wasn't for that thing. I've started back up my Genesis collection after loosing all 150 plus games I had. (The number is unknown I had a great many doubles and I used to not count it unless it was complete) I find that folks selling Genesis games are usually easier to negotiate with and you can still find complete rare games for around 15 bucks. In the six months Ive been hunting again I have scooped up Complete copies of Nobunaga's Ambition, Samurai Shodown, Sonic 2, Jurassic Park and Road Rash 2 for between 7 and 17 dollars each. Everybody brought their A game on this system. You don't have to try hard to find good games for it. There are a few games people are proud of and try to put their kids through college on but for the most part you can nab a substantial collection of amazing games for under a hundred bucks. they have with stood the test of time as well. If you get bored with the old shit weird ass Russians are porting Mario Bros and other roms to it as well.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

hudsthinking1999
Feet of Fury

Post#28 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:44 pm

Wait…where's Game Gear?

Oh, right. It's a handheld. Still, I'll briefly talk about it.

There are times in my life where I want a GG so bad, but other times, I'm okay without it. When I'm bored and my bros are using everything, that's went I want to play some Sonic 2. On Game Gear.
"Sonic was never good, and if you disagree, you can call the cops."

-Some plebs at IGN

Omnibot2000
MegaDeath

Post#29 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Saturn, because of GunGriffon II with TwinSticks, Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, Souky, Batsugun, Guardian Force, Cotton Boomerang, Quake, Street Fighter Zero 3, Dead or Alive, Saturn Bomberman, Shining Force III, Iron Storm, Bulk Slash, Guardian Heroes, Winter Heat, Die Hard Arcade and countless other either exclusive games or superior ports of games.

DreamcastHaven
undertow

Post#30 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Omnibot2000 wrote:Saturn, because of GunGriffon II with TwinSticks, Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, Souky, Batsugun, Guardian Force, Cotton Boomerang, Quake, Street Fighter Zero 3, Dead or Alive, Saturn Bomberman, Shining Force III, Iron Storm, Bulk Slash, Guardian Heroes, Winter Heat, Die Hard Arcade and countless other either exclusive games or superior ports of games.

Yeah but most of those are pretty $$$$ :lol: :lol: :cry:
I would vote Dreamcast but I haven't played Saturn(one is coming but shipping is taking forever!) or Master System, the megadrive I play at a friends house from time to time....