Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online
Quake 3 Arena

Re: 32x opinions/suggestions

Post by DCUltrapro »

yeah it does look lovely but apparently its a strange game to play, I got Star Wars, Doom and VR deluxe, tempted to get metal head and virtua fighter. I'm having issues with sound at the moment though, apparently the connector cable I have is for the mark 2 mega drive and as a result it doesnt work properly with the md1's sound so I have to send the sound via the headphone socket. Nevermind though after a few struggles I got it working and now I can capture from all 3, quite chuffed! have there been any 3rd party games released for it? Is the fighting game Cosmic Carnage really shit? I saw bits of it and it looked ok
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

DCUltrapro wrote:Is the fighting game Cosmic Carnage really shit? I saw bits of it and it looked ok
Mark from Classic Game Room loves Cosmic Carnage! He mentions the game in half his reviews.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNxkLBAmedI[/youtube]
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

hey guys good news, I can now send the picture from the Mega Drive, 32x, Mega CD AND now that I just won a master system-Mega Drive converter I'll also be able to capture from my master system!! as the connector cables for the 32x split you can just plug it straight together and get sound through the lot of them. I will do a video soon to show how it all finally works together, can't wait!

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

I've been investigating the 32x some more and seems that there have been a handful of games released for it that are CD version of previously cartridge only or mega cd only games.

What I mean by this is explained by looking at the 2 examples below:

WWF RAW, originally cartridge only, now available as a Sega 32x CD game
Supreme Warrior, originally already released on cd for the Mega CD, now available as a Sega 32x CD game

What gives? is there a difference? Should I bother buying Supreme Warrior on 32x cd or is it just as good/bad as the Mega CD version? If there is an improvement I would be tempted to buy that version... I'm just interested to hear what the difference is

Did anyone ever do any home brew on the mega cd/32x? as its a cd drive I would've thought it were possible?

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

heres my video about connecting the 32x up and how it should work, enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxZfTAIFHqc[/youtube]

EDIT:

Ok slight problem, I'm a bit miffed by this and maybe you guys can assist, I tried to capture from the Master System (My Master System Converter arrived today) but the picture comes through distorted on my computer, same when I tried Mega Drive, Mega CD and 32x games, so I'm guessing the only solution maybe that I have the wrong cable? The connector cable that I got for the system doesn't send sound to the tv, someone online has discussed this and they said that this is because I'm using an MD1 and the cable I have is for the MD2, not sure if this is 100% accurate but it would explain a lot. Anyway basically i can't capture any of the 4 console I mention about just yet.

Anyway so to make myself feel a little better i decided to do a new video from something special, check out my youtube soon

MrSega

Post by MrSega »

The Sega 32X is an abomination of a machine. Sega of America's bastard creation. It was supposed to have been Skunkwork's greatest achievement.

In my opinion, it deserved to fail.

The playable decent games for it are few and far between. Most of them are lousy,piss poor watered down Genesis ports. Knuckles Chaotix, Mortal Kombat II and Doom 32X are in my opinion the best games for the machine.

This thing is known to have severe mechanical problems especially with your old 1989-1992 Genesis Model 1 models. The Sega Mars itself can't fit into the Model 1 cartridge slot correctly, so special metal prongs are mandatory for the mushroom shaped piece of trash to work properly.

32X can also wear out the cartridge pins and connectors on both Genesis and 32X carts if they're not connected properly. Also if you play certain 3rd generations Genesis games on it. It can ruin the sound chips.( I had a friend of mine who's sound chips in his Sonic & Knuckles cart were damaged by his 32X.)

Here's a url that should help solve ALL your 32X repair problems, if your machine isn't working. Because most of the time, they don't.

http://www.sonic-cult.org/articles/32x/

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

well I appreciate your opinion mate, certainly I can't argue with most points! I guess what can I say? I have an odd fascination with old consoles like this, think of it as a challenge I set myself to get them to work.

you mention the metal clips, I don't use them yet I have a Mega Drive mark 1, I do have problems with the 32x working but they seem to mostly stem from the 32x as it was not stored well and seems to be a little worse for wares but please, if you have experience in this share with me as I really want to get it working better with my MDmk1, how do I use the metal clips? I've read that article a lot and it doesn't mention anything about the clips being useful, just that they are useless.

I personally am not expecting much from the 32x, if I can get my mega drive, mega cd, 32x and master system adapter all working via rca/scart I'll be very happy because it will mean I can capture from all of them, and some of my favourite games are on the master system/mega drive.

anyway if you have any tips yourself about saving the 32x please let me know.

I've currently got the following games:

Star Wars Arcade
Doom
Virtua Racing Deluxe

All work fine once you get the thing running! sometimes it takes me 2 seconds, others can take 30 minutes!!

I also have Metal Head on the way and am considering buying Cosmic Carnage. Also the guy who gave me the 32x thinks he might have knuckles chaotix and other games in his loft, however he wont go looking for me until he moves out next month :(

MrSega

Post by MrSega »

@DCUltraPro. Its a nice hobby. As a dedicated SEGA fan myself, I tend to enjoy collecting import Saturn titles. I use a PAR 5 in 1 cart so my old 1997 US NTSC Saturn works just fine. Except XMEN VS SF I plan on getting a Japanese Saturn for that. I also still play alot of NES.

Getting to your Mega Drive Model 1 I have two solutions:

#1. Try following the URL's advice. Search for the Expansion Module cartridge. This is designed to get 32X to run properly on ALL MD/Genesis all regions both.Model 1 & 2. Then again, the 32X EM cart is a little hard to come by which brings us to the 2nd solution:

#2. Buy a MD Model 2. The reason why 32X doesn't work on Model 1 units is because it was mainly designed to align itself with Model 2's oval shaped cartridge slot. The lumpy design of Model 1's slot is too bulky & doesn't fit the unit properly. This is a cheaper solution.

#3. The 3rd and final solution. This will get your 32X to work on any model & EVEN if its broken, this will fix it!!!!

Step #1. Unhook the A/V jacks from the 32X.

Step # 2. Remove the unit from the MD.

Step #3. Use a screwdriver to carefully dissasemble the 32X. Focus mainly on the top and remove its casing. Remove the static plate you should see 32X CPU Plate.

Step #4. You'll see 2 flat white wires. THIS IS THE REASON THE SYSTEM FAILED. Because SOA did little R&D, lots of these units weren't properly manufactured. The white wires are known as VDP(Video Processors) these are ehat helps ALL SEGA hardware run on a TV. Using pliers, slowly & carefully remove them and plug them back in tightly.

Your 32X should finally work!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

MrSega wrote: Step #4. You'll see 2 flat white wires. THIS IS THE REASON THE SYSTEM FAILED. ... Using pliers, slowly & carefully remove them and plug them back in tightly.
Are you sure it's the white wire? It could be the red wire. What happens if you remove the wrong one?! :shock:

Ultrapro carefully removes the white wire...
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

elmagicochrisg
Metallic
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None for the moment I'm afraid... lol

Post by elmagicochrisg »

MEDIC !!!

By the way, that explosion looks so Mega CD... :lol:
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)