Sega Game Gear Recommendations?

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Sega Game Gear Recommendations?

Post#21 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:11 pm

DCUltrapro wrote:lol cool, any other platormy games that you can reccomend? I liked the yak game but it was pretty basic and frustrating... Ristar did that get a game gear port?

Out of the ones I own, I'd say Vampire Master of Darkness is my favorite platformer (It's pretty hard though. I had to beat it with my Game Genie. It's pretty similar to Castlevania.). Lion King is pretty good as well. I just recently got Castle of Illusion so I haven't played much of it yet. Deep Duck Trouble is good. Zool is ok, never really got into it.

Yes, Ristar did get a GG port.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#22 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:24 pm

by Vampire, Master Of Darkness I assume that is just plain old Master Of Darkness from the PAL region? In which case I actually already have that on Master System, I'd be interested to see how it looks on the GG though and may also be tempted to pick up ZOOL and Ristar for it. Heck I might even try Lion King!
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#23 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:52 pm

DCUltrapro wrote:by Vampire, Master Of Darkness I assume that is just plain old Master Of Darkness from the PAL region?

Yes, I'm sure it's the same game.
PSO Characters:

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#24 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:28 pm

just had a look at my Game Gears, still have 2. Unfortunately both are pretty much knackered!! They strangely both seem to have different power inputs... one is quite a bit smaller and I only have 1 plug that fits it, the other has a larger plug and its able to take the older mega drive and master system power supplies.... has anyone noticed this? Anyway the picture is gone on one but the sound seems ok, and the other the picture comes on alright but the sound is non existent lol.

I've seen one on Ebay for £25 that is listed as having replaced capacitors so I may see if I can afford this.

Does anyone have Fantastic Dizzy on the Game Gear at all?? I am seriously confused as to whether I had it on GG before or not, I just can't find it anywhere!!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#25 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:37 pm

DCUltrapro wrote:They strangely both seem to have different power inputs... one is quite a bit smaller and I only have 1 plug that fits it, the other has a larger plug and its able to take the older mega drive and master system power supplies.... has anyone noticed this?

Yeah, the Game Gear has the same exact power supply as the Genesis model 2. I have no clue about the one with the smaller input, I thought they all had the same power supply. I know Majesco came out with a GG model later, it had a purple start button instead of blue and a black power button instead of orange. Maybe that's what it is?
PSO Characters:

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#26 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:56 am

doesn't seem to be, its exactly the same except that where the piece of plastic that has the power in, it seems to be the opposite way around, theres like a rectangular piece of plastic that has obviously been fitted through a hole in the case and it has the power port in it and its slightly off centre, and it looks like mine is the other way around and smaller lol. odd! Anyway I've put a game gear with new capacitors on watch on ebay, might get that and see how we go. I'm so used to the picture being dull and the sound being bad that it will be wonderful to see it back to its former glory!

So other than Ristar, Shiobi and games like that are there any other platforming GG games you can think of to reccomend? I'd love to find fantastic dizzy but I think it will be far too expensive

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#27 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:13 am

DCUltrapro wrote:doesn't seem to be, its exactly the same except that where the piece of plastic that has the power in, it seems to be the opposite way around, theres like a rectangular piece of plastic that has obviously been fitted through a hole in the case and it has the power port in it and its slightly off centre, and it looks like mine is the other way around and smaller lol. odd!

Hmmm, sounds like some type of modded GG.

DCUltrapro wrote:So other than Ristar, Shiobi and games like that are there any other platforming GG games you can think of to reccomend? I'd love to find fantastic dizzy but I think it will be far too expensive

Not really, the ones I mentioned above and in the first post are the only ones I own. I should be getting Speedtrap soon so I'll let you know how that is.
PSO Characters:

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#28 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:16 pm

I got the Desert Speedtrap game. It's a sidescroller. You have to get the the end of the level within a certain time limit. You can add time to the clock by eating bird seed and collecting stars. It's not a bad game. You can pick up a copy cheap so if you like sidecrollers then it might be worth a try.
PSO Characters:

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#29 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:54 pm

Well I just finished Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya. Thanks for recommending it Gary! It was a ton of fun! A bit off topic but can you (or anyone else) recommend another Shining Force game? I'd like to get one for the Sega Genesis, CD, or Saturn.
PSO Characters: