Saturn is very loud when reading CDRs.

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Cory
lithium

Saturn is very loud when reading CDRs.

Post#1 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:50 pm

Hey, my Saturn has a phantom chip installed and I've noticed that it's considerably louder when playing CDRs.

https://www.youtube.com/w/tX84INGot_0

Sounds like this occur when the disc is seeking, such as right before a new audio track. I haven't noticed noises like this when using original discs.

Does anyone know the cause of this, and if I should be worried? Could it just be that my CDRs just aren't high quality enough?
PRODUCED BY OR UNDER LICENSE FROM SEGA ENTERPRISES LTD.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Saturn is very loud when reading CDRs.

Post#2 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:26 am

Mine is not loud loading cdrs at all so ether there bad or burned bad or something else.. but that's not normal maybe the cdr disks have a warp to them or something.

What brand of cdr's are you using i just use img burn and older burner that does slow burns it matters for saturn.. For audio and fmv

Cory
lithium

Post#3 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:01 am

Verbatim discs with x1 burn speed.

I ordered some better cdrs off amazon, I guess I'll see if that fixes it.

Cory
lithium

Post#4 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:55 am

I think I found my issue, the disc drive in my PC only writes at a minimum of 16x for CD-Rs!

I used an old laptop and burned at 3.5x and the new disc works fine. No more weird seeking noises.

I guess my desktop just has a crummy disc burner. Now I have a real reason to keep this old XP laptop around. Lol!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:34 pm

Cory wrote:I think I found my issue, the disc drive in my PC only writes at a minimum of 16x for CD-Rs!

I used an old laptop and burned at 3.5x and the new disc works fine. No more weird seeking noises.

I guess my desktop just has a crummy disc burner. Now I have a real reason to keep this old XP laptop around. Lol!

Yes that was the problem most times is these new dvd burners lol effects dreamcast as well on bleemcast

Cory
lithium

Post#6 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:42 pm

I think I'll look for an external cd burner that is able to burn at low speeds. I don't want to have to rely on a 15+ year old laptop.