Sega CD game recommendations?

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Sega CD game recommendations?

Post#1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:51 pm

So, I'm finally considering getting a Sega CD. I used to think it was kind of crappy thanks to the Internet, but something in me wanted to have one ever since I got my Genesis a few years ago. Now that I look at the library at a glance, it seems like a console I would like. Any recommendations for games on the system?

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Re: Sega CD game recommendations?

Post#2 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:57 pm

The Lunar games! and silpheed, ecco tides of time, Snatcher, Vay, and nothing beats playing sonic cd on the original hardware, even if it has been ported to everything under the sun. Shining force cd is pretty good too!
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#3 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:24 pm

I have the Steam version of Sonic CD by Christian Whitehead, and I have played the original on emulators. I think Christian's version is a great port that fixes some bugs and issues with the original, like the low framerate in special stages. Silpheed also came to mind for me. :D

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#4 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:54 pm

I'll second the suggestions of both Lunar games, Vay, and Shining Force CD. I'll also add to the list Popful Mail.

krssn
Metallic

Post#5 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 pm

Keio Flying Squadron, Lords of Thunder, The Space Adventure, Final Fight, Earthworm Jim Special Edition...

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#6 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:37 pm

snatcher
snatcher
and snatcher
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

MrTamkis
rebel

Post#7 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:59 pm

Racing Aces, Soul Star, Battlecorps, BC Racers, and Batman Returns. Most of these push the SCD hardware with hardware sprite rotations and scaling (especially Mode 7-esque graphics), and Racing Aces even does some rudimentary 3D graphics for the landscape!
DreamPi DX NOOBS-Compatible Image:
Forum thread
Project page

XBandPi NOOBS-Compatible Image:
Project page

"Industrial-Strength" LVI (DIY)
Forum thread
Blog article

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#8 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:27 am

These are some good recommendations. Unfortunately the Sega CD I was going to get for $50 had been sold the previous day, but the ad was still up. Guess I'll have to find another decent price, since every other listing I see is $150, $200 and above.

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#9 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:08 pm

i want a sega cd bad too...been trying to find em but they are expensive

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#10 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:24 pm

The port maybe good of sonic cd but emulators do not work as well as real hardware since all games you can just burn and play get them all .. play sonic cd on real hardware once might change your mind :)