Trouble with burned games on the Saturn (SOLVED)

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

krssn
Metallic

Re: Trouble with burned games on the Saturn

Post#11 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:51 am

Xiden wrote:
krssn wrote:Yes, there's a lot of lemmings out there.

Please enlighten me how you can stress a brushless motor with magnets that don't even touch the coils.

Why dont you just use google and you could learn all about how they burn out. ;)

That's one way not to answer my question.

Answer my question and explain to me how disc swapping puts stress on the motor if you please.

Xiden
Developer

Post#12 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:19 am

krssn wrote:
Xiden wrote:
krssn wrote:Yes, there's a lot of lemmings out there.

Please enlighten me how you can stress a brushless motor with magnets that don't even touch the coils.

Why dont you just use google and you could learn all about how they burn out. ;)

That's one way not to answer my question.

Answer my question and explain to me how disc swapping puts stress on the motor if you please.

Not my problem if you don't like my solution friend. I linked you a site backing what I said up. Ive yet to see you provide any evidence or proof that says otherwise for the saturns motor. Like I said its your cdrom so obviously do with it as you wish. I just don't like to see misinformation spread around. Just because you choose not to accept the site I linked doesn't make it any less true.

Xiden
Developer

Post#13 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:29 am

Went ahead and used that pesky google for ya...

depending on how the electrical motor is made, blocking it could cause an increase in the current in it, burning it if you hold long enough

So there is one way.

Bring
dark night

Post#14 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:44 am

First law of thermodynamics

Heat instead of Kinetic

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#15 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:05 pm

You can also use this http://ppcenter.webou.net/pskai/

Regardless if the Saturn uses magnets, any motor that is forcefully stopped contently will wear it out lots

krssn
Metallic

Post#16 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:07 pm

1. Brushless motors produce much less heat than brushed motors due to not having touching parts to close the circuit -the brushes- which mean less friction. So in any case heat is much less a problem. Same with wear on the parts. Less touching parts, less wear.

2. There is a protection - Hall effect sensor? - in these drives that resets the motor after just a few seconds when stalled. It does this twice before shutting down completely. After that the only way to bring it back to life is opening and closing the lid circuit. There is no way of stalling the motor for more than a few seconds. The momentary spike in current -and thus heat- is too short to do any damage whatsoever.

Listen, you guys can circle-herp-a-derp as much as you want and believe what you want. I'm out. This isn't a contest, and I'm not about to make it one.

Xiden
Developer

Post#17 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:56 pm

deleted post
Last edited by Xiden on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#18 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:05 pm

wow everyone lets calm down, where talking about a cd drive here :) The point is that is for the best interest in your Saturn its probably not a good idea to do the swap trick. And even then Presudo Saturn is you best bet anyway

mr_everdread
undertow

Post#19 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:46 pm

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#20 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Wow, this thread got out of control. I hope krssn realizes that arguing about the swap trick not doing any amount of damage to the motor isn't helping me in the slightest.

mr_everdread wrote:Y'all seen this?

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=5088666

Oh yeah, I've heard about him. Maybe his breakthroughs in the Saturn community will help the console become more accessible to newcomers.

@itsstillthinking1999: I just need to do the swap trick until I get an Action Replay cart. I'm pretty careful not to damage the spindle, laser or motor (whatever part gets hurt in the process) when doing it, and the particular method I use is the easiest and probably damages it the least, since you only swap once and don't have to have pin-point timing and precision.