Sega Saturn buying guides?

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Sega Saturn buying guides?

Post#1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Well, this was a long time coming.

I'm planning on getting a Sega Saturn very soon. As I explained before in some other posts, the console's really captured my interest, and I want to see what games it has in store, especially since it has a noteworthy history in terms of Sega consoles.

It also helps that the person I went to when buying my Dreamcast 3 years ago was also selling lots of other systems, including the Saturn for $100. Since I had no interest in it and was in the mindset of getting a DC, I skipped on it. Now that I've played the Dreamcast (and loved it), I now want to see what the Saturn has to offer. :)

Anyways, are there any tips or guidelines I should know? Ex.: good price, condition, what model I should get, best games, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: Sega Saturn buying guides?

Post#2 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:05 pm

dunno about buying guide.. but there are many informative threads here.. http://segasaturngroup.proboards.com/

pastelshoal
rebel

Post#3 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:46 pm

Just some loose thoughts:
The model really doesn't matter, but IMO you're probably going to be playing mostly Japanese imports, so you should get a Japanese Saturn. PAL and NTSC games are off the charts price wise right now. You will definitely want an action replay to play imports, and for the extra memory. I would also consider getting a cart flashed with Pseudo Saturn. It will let you play burned games, basically a neccesity if you want to play some of the best games on the system (Panzer Dragoon Saga isn't exactly cheap.) I also recommend the 3D control pad for games with analogue support.

As for best games, here's my favourites:
All the Panzer Dragoon games, especially Saga: These are some of the best games ever made, the first two being rail shooters, and Saga being an action RPG. Don't get turned off by it being an RPG, it's really different than most RPGs. One of the best ever made in my opinion. To play it, unless you know japanese, you'll want Pseudo Saturn. If you go the route of buying a Japanese Saturn for it, you don't want the grey one; it won't play PDS via Pseudo Saturn.

NiGHTS: An amazing, surreal game by Sonic Team. Absolutely beautiful, a must have. (It's cheap too).

Some good (cheap) SHMUPs include: Layer Section and Gunbird.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#4 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:37 am

I'm going to add to that: if you live in Europe and want to want to buy PDS, you will also need a PAL Saturn, as the game is region protected and will NOT work on u Jap or US Saturn even with an action replay, there's codes out there on the web that supposedly will make it work, I tried em all and could not get it going, so it is the one game I kept my PAL Saturn for. I have read this is also the case if you want to play the legit US version on a Jap Saturn, but haven't tried this myself so am not sure about that.

You really want to stay away from PAL & US games, as 1) they are so expensive, it has become ridiculous, 2) bot regions have shit boxes that break easily & 3) (most importantly) you can find most of the Jap counterparts for a fraction of the price, the only PAL games I own (and buy) are text or audio driven ones like rpg's & Burning Rangers.

I also prefer the 3D pad over the regular Saturn pad, because it just feels way better, the build in ten times better compared to the regular one. I also suggest (providing you tv has this), you get an rgb scart cable, as it really unlocks the Saturn colour palette http://www.consolegoods.co.uk

As for games...it's a bit of a mixed bag depending on what you like, it has a ton of shmups, not nearly as much as the PCE, but as far as shmups is concerned, the Saturn is the second best thing out there,
it is a bit thin on 2D platformers however, but the ones it has are great (Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchau No Fukubukuro is a must have imo) also has a ton of weird Japanese exclusives and puzzle games, and a lot of old arcade compilations (I like the Saturn version of Capcom Generations best, as it has the arcade version of Ghouls 'n Ghosts running at the correct speed, plus the Snes Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts without the horrible Snes slowdown). If you got games like the original playstation in mind, you should stay away from the Saturn, as you will be dissapointed, it's a 32 bit console, but a completely different machine altogether.

as for games...depending on your budget :D :

Panzer series
Burning Rangers
Mystaria (Blazing Heroes in the US)
Dark Savior (unique action rpg, unlike anything else with a great story)
Capcom Generation 2
Wonder 3 (compilation that has both Midnight Wanderers & Chariot)
Magical Drop 3 (skip the other 2, this is the best version)
Puyo Puyo Sun
Shining Force 3
Astal
Thunderforce Gold Pack (has all 3 Mega Drive Thunder Force games plus the arcade version)
Thunder Force 5
Darius series
Layer Section series
Nights Into Dreams & Christmas Nights
Guardian Heroes
Kyukyoku Tiger II 2 Plus
Ninpen Manmaru
Ninja JaJaMaru-kun
Dungeons & Dragons collection
etc
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Kurasiu
fire

Post#5 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:04 am

Hey, I'm into collecting Japanese Saturn games (although I'm not aiming for some complete collection, just the ones I want to play), glad to see another gamer being interested in the good ol' Saturn. :D

Just like the others said - go with a Japanese Saturn, preferably a model 2 one. A whole bunch of amazing Saturn titles were never released outside Japan, plus I like the standard CD jewel cases a lot more than those overgrown NTSC-U/PAL boxes.

Japanese titles are dirt cheap compared to their American/European releases (especially the ones released late in the Saturn's lifespan, like Burning Rangers or Panzer Dragoon Saga). Sure, there are several good games, that will rip your wallet apart (several shmups, Sonic 3D Blast, Ninpen Manmaru or Super Tempo, which currently is around 400$), but the vast majority of them of totally affordable and reasonably priced.

The games I'd recommend getting:
* obligatory fighters including Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Fighter Remix, Street FIghter Zero games, Fighters Megamix and a lot more...
* obligatory shmups - Radiant Silvergun, Batsugun, Gunbird and several others
* light gun games! House of the Dead and both Viruta Cops
* Grandia
* Bulk Slash
* Saturn Bomberman & Bomberman Wars
* Dark Savior
* Virtual On
* Shining the Holy Ark
* Shining Force III (preferably with the two other scenarios)
* Sonic Jam
* Phantasy Star Collection
* Nights Into Dreams & Christmas Nights
* Daytona USA CE
* Thunder Force 5
* Albert's Odyssey
* all Panzer Dragoon games
* Astal
* Puyo Puyo Sun
* Clockwork Knight 1 & 2
* Guardian Heroes
* Burning Rangers
* if you have some more money to burn, you can also go with several good Saturn ports like Rayman, Earthworm Jim 2 or Gex... or even get the mentioned rare Japanese releases (Super Tempo, Ninpen Manmaru, Dungeons & Dragons Collection).

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#6 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 am

SomeGuyWithASega wrote:Well, this was a long time coming.

I'm planning on getting a Sega Saturn very soon. As I explained before in some other posts, the console's really captured my interest, and I want to see what games it has in store, especially since it has a noteworthy history in terms of Sega consoles.

It also helps that the person I went to when buying my Dreamcast 3 years ago was also selling lots of other systems, including the Saturn for $100. Since I had no interest in it and was in the mindset of getting a DC, I skipped on it. Now that I've played the Dreamcast (and loved it), I now want to see what the Saturn has to offer. :)

Anyways, are there any tips or guidelines I should know? Ex.: good price, condition, what model I should get, best games, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

as a general rule: go to the sega saturn uk forums

also what genres do you like and in what region do you live?

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#7 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:33 pm

@gjb1985 I like mostly platformers, racing and general action games, and I'm currently in the North American region.

As for the rest of you, thanks for the help! I'll be sure to take your info in consideration. ;)

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#8 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:11 am

SomeGuyWithASega wrote:@gjb1985 I like mostly platformers, racing and general action games, and I'm currently in the North American region.

As for the rest of you, thanks for the help! I'll be sure to take your info in consideration. ;)

sega rally
daytona usa
daytona usa cce (japan version!)

sonic jam
rayman
(christmas) nights

are worth getting imo.

what are your favorite dreamcast games?

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#9 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:27 am

Sonic Adventure is a personal fave of mine, but I know there isn't much of an equivalent on Saturn (except for Sonic World in Jam, I guess). Some other faves would be arcade-ported Sega arcade games like Crazy Taxi, 2D platformers and shumps (which I know the Saturn excels in), as well as Sega Sports games like NBA 2K and 2K1, which is very odd seeing that I'm not a big fan of sports games. :/

Seaman is also something I'd want to try out, but my Dreamcast's clock battery, like many others, doesn't work properly anymore, so I couldn't keep the time without resetting the date every time I went to play it.

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#10 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:10 pm

try burning rangers on saturn if you liked sonic adventure, is somewhat similar.

also try saturn arcade classics like the racing games I mentioned and manx tt superbike, virtua cop (2), if you have a crt. saturn is riddled with arcade classics in general.

also make sure you get a 3d controller a 100% must with games like manx tt, burning rangers, nights, deep fear and many more.