Sega Saturn screen wobble.

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Wilco
lithium

Sega Saturn screen wobble.

Post#1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:10 pm

So I wasn't sure whether to post this in the tech section or here, but I decided as it's not about my Dreamcast so I'll stick it here.

So I have a problem with a wobble/shake across the screen on my Sega Saturn. It seems like it could be a sync issue but after trying multiple cables I fear it may be something more terminal with the console.

It's most prominent when I turn the Saturn on and the laser begins to the read the cd. The sound of the laser moving and scanning seems to link up with the screen shaking which worries me. It seems less apparent when playing a game, but during a loading screen it starts back up again.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with their console? Mine is a PAL Model 2. MK-80200A-50

I've uploaded a video. Please notice the shake in the lettering. It's not my dodgy camera work ;)

https://youtu.be/NDtwX10vnCc

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Cheers guys.
Kid With The Play

Xiden
Developer

Re: Sega Saturn screen wobble.

Post#2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Are you using an RF Cable?

Wilco
lithium

Post#3 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:38 pm

Nope. RGB scart.
Kid With The Play

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:25 pm

have you tried other tvs? Also it could be the cable itself is bad, I know model twos are suppose use a different scart cable from model 1s. I cant remember if this was the reason for it. Worse case is your caps could be going out but I doubt that.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories sells really good cables. but shes on vacation right now. Make sure you dont have a RGB cable with CSYNC, that could be your problem.

Bring
dark night

Post#5 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:58 pm

Pal model 2 (at least) Saturns have to use c-sync they dont output pin1 raw sync for some reason.

Is your Saturn Modded in any way?

Kurasiu
fire

Post#6 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:21 am

My modded PAL Saturn model 2 does the exact same thing. Some said it's the c-sync issue, others that the internal AC adapter may be behaving funky - up to this day I still don't know the definitive answer. (however the Saturn itself is pretty fine, reading discs and playing games like a boss)

Wilco
lithium

Post#7 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:25 am

Bring wrote:Pal model 2 (at least) Saturns have to use c-sync they dont output pin1 raw sync for some reason.

Is your Saturn Modded in any way?

No it's completely bog standard.
Kid With The Play

Wilco
lithium

Post#8 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:27 am

Kurasiu wrote:My modded PAL Saturn model 2 does the exact same thing. Some said it's the c-sync issue, others that the internal AC adapter may be behaving funky - up to this day I still don't know the definitive answer. (however the Saturn itself is pretty fine, reading discs and playing games like a boss)

Really? I'm so glad i'm not the only one ha. Did you try using multiple cables, with and without C-Sync? did they make any difference what so ever?
Kid With The Play

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#9 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:29 am

My model 2 shows interference in the screen whenever the laser is seeking, so load screens almost always show it. I guess it could be described as wobbly. It's poor design by Sega, poor power filtering or isolation or whatever. Electrical noise from the CD block is getting into the video. I've seen similar things in laserdisc players. I've heard model 1s might be better. I just got a model 1 so I can compare and report.

Edit: I just compared my model 2 to my model 1. The model 1 has significantly less noise in the picture. If I wasn't looking for it, I wouldn't even have noticed it, it's that slight. My model 1 is board revision VA SD for reference. Not sure about the model 2. In short, if it bugs you, look out for a model 1.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast