Netlink Roll Call

Talk about Sega's other Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Re: Netlink Roll Call

Post#41 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:44 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:After a little digging I'm pretty sure freenode uses encryption, which explains why the DC browsers fail to connect (same reason they can't use modern email servers). Didn't dreampipe take down its IRC?

edit: port 6697 uses encryption

pwchat://irc.freenode.net:6667/#dctalk

might work

Do you mean port 6697 on router?

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#42 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:15 pm

No, connecting to the irc server over port 6697 assumes an encrypted connection. 6667 assumes unencrypted.

I was able to get on the dctalk IRC with planetweb 3.0 saturn browser. I entered pwchat://irc.freenode.net:6667 then the command /join #dctalk
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#43 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:25 pm

Does anyone know how to extract and compile saturn games? used the rocking b pack and successfully extracted and compiled a custom planet web browser however i tried to extract sega rally so i could replace the url with the new irc but to no avail. The main issue i think is that the audio is compiled in a way to be like a music cd

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#44 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:50 pm

I've used a combo of poweriso and a hex editor. Poweriso can rebuild the disc with the audio tracks and then you need the hex editor to copy the boot sectors over from the original image.

Xiden
Developer

Post#45 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:36 pm

netlinkzone.png
netlinkzone.png (47.68 KiB) Viewed 10227 times

Netlink Revival Ideas

(Original site)
netlinkpage.png

- Saturn Browser Friendly BB (Maybe dreampipe could make us a Saturn BB?)
- Netlink Chat (Via IRC)
- Integrate with Dreamcast Now Service. When a user dials in with Dreampi and goes to one of the Netlink Zone sites it would also show what game they are playing in Dreamcast Now, Maybe we could do for example (Saturn)Sega Rally Championship. Putting Saturn in brackets to let players on DC now know the game is for Saturn and who is waiting to be matched up with someone

I believe these are the main things we'd need. Some of the other features from the original site aren't needed.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#46 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:18 pm

after giving up on recompiling saturn images I made an edited version of the bookmark save so you can simply load up the bookmarks and go to the irc that way however after a hour of trying it seems the saturn can send files all day but cannot download them. just says attachment views as text

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#47 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:15 pm

Are you trying to email? What do you mean by sending files?

Xiden
Developer

Post#48 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:37 pm

After more tweaking of settings me and hawk were able to sucessfully play a couple of virtual on matches with no crashing. Hiccups have been reduced to a brief second or two which helped a lot. Lag has been reduced quite a bit too. Hopefully we can find a few more things to adjust to make it even better! But this is another step foward in getting all games to as close to lag free as possible

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#49 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:21 am

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:Are you trying to email? What do you mean by sending files?

By using the cmail setup for the Dreamcast for the Saturn you can use email and can even send any save files from the saturn!

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#50 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:39 am

itsthinkingstill wrote:
SEGA RPG FAN wrote:Are you trying to email? What do you mean by sending files?

By using the cmail setup for the Dreamcast for the Saturn you can use email and can even send any save files from the saturn!

I know, I wrote the original guide ;)

The Saturn only likes attachments attached from the PW browser. If you download a save sent from the Saturn in a PC web browser, reattach it and send it back it won't work. It's something related to the mimetype that gets changed. If you forward the original email it works fine. So if you forwarded a save to someone else using the cmail method, their Saturn will be able to download it just fine.