PlayStation Swap Trick Works Mid-Game For No Save Before Disc 2 Swap Games Like Parasite Eve

Talk about PlayStation Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

alexfree
fire

PlayStation Swap Trick Works Mid-Game For No Save Before Disc 2 Swap Games Like Parasite Eve

Post#1 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:18 pm

Have not really seen this discussed anywhere, so maybe this might help some people out. The Swap trick does indeed work mid game. Some games don’t allow you to save on disc 1, and then boot disc 2 and continue. Parasite Eve for example, makes you insert disc 2 while playing disc 1. There is no workaround to doing this. Lots of people will tell you that you just won’t be able to play these games without a mod chip. Well, that’s not actually true.

When you get to the Insert Disc 2 screen, swap in a legit PSX game. Unblock the lid sensor so the PlayStation thinks the cover was open, and then block the lid sensor again (I use an aluminum foil rod I shaped for this). The disc will start spinning fast (2x speed). As soon as you see this happen, swap the legit PSX disc with your CD-R of Disc 2. Worked for me even on a SCPH 5501, which usually requires a double swap trick at boot. Now that I have an October 1995 SCPH 1001 and use the audio menu swap trick to boot games this is the only ‘live’ swap needed to play Parasite Eve for me.

I do have to turn the console to the left vertically for it to read CD-Rs (legit games read fine normally) but that’s just my specific console.

Hope this helps someone out!

megavolt85
Developer

Re: PlayStation Swap Trick Works Mid-Game For No Save Before Disc 2 Swap Games Like Parasite Eve

Post#2 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:34 pm

do you seriously prefer hot swapping?
modchip is so cheap that all these hot swap methods are a thing of the past

alexfree
fire

Re: PlayStation Swap Trick Works Mid-Game For No Save Before Disc 2 Swap Games Like Parasite Eve

Post#3 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:16 pm

megavolt85 wrote:do you seriously prefer hot swapping?
modchip is so cheap that all these hot swap methods are a thing of the past

I do not prefer hot swapping at all. I have a Playstation manufactured in October 1995, so I've been doing this:

METHOD ONE: The Audio Menu [Safe and very easy]
------------------------------------------------

Works on : Very early Japanese, European and American machines.
Success : 80%
Problems : Music is often corrupted. The TOC (Table of Contents)
from the boot CD is always used which is less than ideal.

o Power up your PlayStation WITHOUT a game or demo CD in it.

o Select the CD Audio menu.

o Get a local CD that matches the country of the machine you
have. (ie a Japanese game for a Japanese PlayStation etc.)

o Find some tape, Blu-Tak or something similar. Several people I know
have found the corner from a cornflake packet works well <shrug>.

o Open the lid and look at the top right of the bottom section,
near where the hinge is. See the small circle in the groove?
Good. This is the lid sensor.

o Insert your local CD.

o Put the tape, Blu-Tak or whatever over the sensor and *gently*
push it down. The CD will now spin for a few seconds.

o When the CD has finished spinning take it out and replace it
with the foreign game you wish to play.

o Now shut the lid and exit the CD Audio menu. The game should
now work fine (see above for exceptions.)

o When you have finished playing, open the lid and remove the
tape, Blu-Tak etc from the sensor. This will stop the CD.

The only time I need to hot swap is when a game forces you to swap to disc 2 mid game with no save before and boot disc 2 option, or if the audio menu trick doesn't work (not an issue yet). I also have no soldering skills at all, long term might learn how to solder.

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#4 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:47 pm

This is fairly unnecessary now thanks to an actual softmod method that works with several games. So long as you have a way to import the savefile to your memory card (a softmodded PS2 will allow you to transfer saves from a USB to a PS1 memory card, and devices like the DexDrive exists for directly transferring saves from PC), there's really not much reason to disc swap at all unless you're using the SCPH-1000 or an NTSC-J Playstation. Save your hands the stress!

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:57 pm

It's called PSXChange, and/or UniROM for parallel port cartridge, and/or tonyhax my friend!

Same as for softmod unleash your PS2 and the way recently I got to play with tonyhax in order to transfer the tonyhax saves, clever boot-discing minus PSXChange's brute-force hold on lid-switch. SwapMagic v3.8 disc and the payload on USB no shitswap involved really

EDIT: With UniROM you're also able of having disc-authenticate bypass with the luxury of cheats of Gameshark+PAR ala caetla! Cartridge must to be @ least 256k size @ the time of this typing

alexfree
fire

Post#6 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:47 pm

WedgeStratos wrote:This is fairly unnecessary now thanks to an actual softmod method that works with several games. So long as you have a way to import the savefile to your memory card (a softmodded PS2 will allow you to transfer saves from a USB to a PS1 memory card, and devices like the DexDrive exists for directly transferring saves from PC), there's really not much reason to disc swap at all unless you're using the SCPH-1000 or an NTSC-J Playstation. Save your hands the stress!

I know about TonyHax, but AFAIK the general consensus was for games that require you to replace disc 1 with disc 2 mid game with no save option TonyHax and things like the PS X Change could not allow you to finish the game. That's not actually true if you do the swap trick mid game (you only do this once, then save while using disc 2. Then in the future you can just boot disc 2 and then load the save. Can't load any saves on disc 2 made from disc 1 without having to insert disc 1 on load of said save) which is why I posted this. This is also a solution for TonyHax and PS X Change. The audio menu swap trick for booting games has you swap out the legit game for the burned CD-R after the legit game disc stops spinning completely in the audio menu. Then you exit out of the audio menu and it just boots.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 pm

You can just mod the playstation demo disk station downloader it had memory card saves shove them on the disk make the iso swap that disk then save to memory card for tony hax no need to have any ps2 or any bullshit

Can all be done with out any need of modding the hardware.

alexfree
fire

Post#9 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:12 pm

mistamontiel wrote:It's called PSXChange, and/or UniROM for parallel port cartridge, and/or tonyhax my friend!

Same as for softmod unleash your PS2 and the way recently I got to play with tonyhax in order to transfer the tonyhax saves, clever boot-discing minus PSXChange's brute-force hold on lid-switch. SwapMagic v3.8 disc and the payload on USB no shitswap involved really

EDIT: With UniROM you're also able of having disc-authenticate bypass with the luxury of cheats of Gameshark+PAR ala caetla! Cartridge must to be @ least 256k size @ the time of this typing

I have a PS X Change but my console hates reading it, I haven't got it to work on my SCPH 1001 at all (might work if booted with the console turned to the left vertically like it is now). The PS X Change can't be used mid game (which is the point of this post).

In the below GameFAQs on the PS X Change from 2004 ( https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/916392 ... faqs/28350 ) it says:

"Q. Do multi disk games like Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy 7 work with the
PS-X-Change.

A. Most double disk games should work. If the disk allows you to save before
swapping then yes. You simply save, switch off your Playstation and boot up
with the Boot disk. Use the disk it asked for instead of disk one and you
should be OK.

Q. But my multi disk game won't allow me to save before swapping / switching
off

A. There is nothing you can do, some games do not allow you to save the game
before requiring you switch disks. Switching disks is something the
PS-X-Change cannot handle. If you do swap them you get error incorrect disk.
This is a downer especially if your playing something that will not let you
save such as Valkyrie Profile. :¬("

Which is disproved by the "mid game swap trick".

I am interested in UniROM, I just did some research on UniROM and it might work for games that require this mid game switch without save option (I think Chrono Cross is also like this?) if you press some button combination while switching disc 1 for disc 2 but some people also say this doesn't work right so really not sure. This is really all I can find https://old.reddit.com/r/psx/comments/8 ... e/e2d2u5q/

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#10 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:18 pm

mistamontiel wrote:It's called PSXChange, and/or UniROM for parallel port cartridge, and/or tonyhax my friend!

Ian Micheal wrote:'

do it this way you dont need any thing but a ps1

Dont need a ps2 just make a demo disk swap disk that