PlayStation Swap Trick Works Mid-Game For No Save Before Disc 2 Swap Games Like Parasite Eve

Talk about PlayStation Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

alexfree
fire

Re: PlayStation Swap Trick Works Mid-Game For No Save Before Disc 2 Swap Games Like Parasite Eve

Post#21 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:05 am

ShadowGeist wrote:
alexfree wrote:In that case this is only useful for the traditional swap trick or PS X Change.

Yes, the information you've provided isn't completely useless, just outdated.

FreePSXBoot memory card exploit is also in development, but it's still in it's early stages with risk factors involved.

Woah, never saw this. This is unfortunate: "Once Unirom is loaded, you can insert a CD, close the lid, and press R1 to load the game.
Don't forget to remove your memory card, as its exploit will trigger into games as well. This isn't an issue when using the Memcard Pro, as it will automatically change the virtual card to the game you're booting.".

I think the best solution is burning a TonyHAX game, booting it with the safe audio menu swap trick (the disc is stopped when you swap, no risk but original TOC is used unlike the 'unsafe' swap methods so not every game works.). Then using TonyHAX. Then swap in a multi CD game burned CD-R with the no save before previous disc issue, or a burned CD-R that doesn't work right with the audio menu swap method. Thanks!

ShadowGeist
undertow

Re: PlayStation Swap Trick Works Mid-Game For No Save Before Disc 2 Swap Games Like Parasite Eve

Post#22 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:46 am

Be aware of the possibility that SCPH-1001 [Initial batch] may not be compatible with No$Cash Unlock, it may only pertain to SCPH-1001 [S/N 592xxx or higher].

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#23 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:53 am

alexfree wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:You can just mod the playstation demo disk station downloader it had memory card saves shove them on the disk make the iso swap that disk then save to memory card for tony hax no need to have any ps2 or any bullshit

Can all be done with out any need of modding the hardware.

I realize what you mean now! Download demo disk station, burn it with that save. Use the safe audio menu swap trick to boot said burned disc and copy it to the memory card. Burn a TonyHAX game, boot it with the safe audio menu swap trick. Do TonyHAX, then any game will work without having to do this.

Yes :)

alexfree
fire

Post#24 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:57 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
alexfree wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:You can just mod the playstation demo disk station downloader it had memory card saves shove them on the disk make the iso swap that disk then save to memory card for tony hax no need to have any ps2 or any bullshit

Can all be done with out any need of modding the hardware.

I realize what you mean now! Download demo disk station, burn it with that save. Use the safe audio menu swap trick to boot said burned disc and copy it to the memory card. Burn a TonyHAX game, boot it with the safe audio menu swap trick. Do TonyHAX, then any game will work without having to do this.

Yes :)

I just realized something. If it is known how to unlock the drive like this, shouldn't it be possible to just create a CD-R image that does only this? Skipping the need for a TonyHAX game and memory card file? Only useful on early SCPH-1001 though...

ShadowGeist
undertow

Post#25 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:45 am

alexfree wrote:I just realized something. If it is known how to unlock the drive like this, shouldn't it be possible to just create a CD-R image that does only this? Skipping the need for a TonyHAX game and memory card file? Only useful on early SCPH-1001 though...

I assume that the information listed on TonyHax Compatibility is a misprint.

"Every NTSC-U PlayStation 1 console except the very early SCPH-1000."
"NTSC-U PlayStation 1 SCPH-1000 consoles (BIOS predates the introduction of the CD unlock command)."

SCPH-1000 = NTSC-J

I believe it's actually referring to NTSC-U SCPH-1001 [Initial batch].

PAL SCPH-1002 [Initial batch] would then also be incompatible.

alexfree
fire

Post#26 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:00 am

ShadowGeist wrote:
alexfree wrote:I just realized something. If it is known how to unlock the drive like this, shouldn't it be possible to just create a CD-R image that does only this? Skipping the need for a TonyHAX game and memory card file? Only useful on early SCPH-1001 though...

I assume that the information listed on TonyHax Compatibility is a misprint.

"Every NTSC-U PlayStation 1 console except the very early SCPH-1000."
"NTSC-U PlayStation 1 SCPH-1000 consoles (BIOS predates the introduction of the CD unlock command)."

SCPH-1000 = NTSC-J

I believe it's actually referring to NTSC-U SCPH-1001 [Initial batch].

PAL SCPH-1002 [Initial batch] would then also be incompatible.

I assume that as well, it is mentioned many times. Also seems that UNIROM doesn’t support it either so swaps only...

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#27 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:46 pm

Oh back when I mentioned MGS1 Japanese and Integral, I'm pretty certain it was PSXChange.. er..

..I also do remember you have to keep the spring/tab jammed on the lid sensor, you undo it ingame to close lid for keep dust away and then would not continue jus decides to know better then

UniROM+caetla combo is greatest just does have its faults like Heaven's Gate used to try and some mismatched gfx but just hangs current version won't boot. I would keep a tonyhax around too

What is odd is I couldn't get UniROM update burn to run, tonyhax had to run it for me lol

EDIT: Man! UniROM has had a 60>50hz feature for some reason, and now he's done with opposite and it is dead spot-on! I tried Crisis Beat PAL that I used to GS for 60 and Y-Fix, so this time no cheats and rock solid

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#28 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:00 am

I tried tonyhax a couple weeks ago since I already had a compatible game as well as a modded ps2 with the ability to put the needed files onto a ps1 memory card.

It works, but in terms of compatibility it's still got a ways to go, it triggers anti piracy measures in many games and these seem to need to be patched out on a game by game basis. It's also annoying having to wait for a game to load up before you can run the exploit, since ps1 games tend to have pretty slow loading times. It's nice that it works with games with CD audio though, as a lot of these methods don't.

alexfree
fire

Post#29 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:25 am

mistamontiel wrote:Oh back when I mentioned MGS1 Japanese and Integral, I'm pretty certain it was PSXChange.. er..

..I also do remember you have to keep the spring/tab jammed on the lid sensor, you undo it ingame to close lid for keep dust away and then would not continue jus decides to know better then

UniROM+caetla combo is greatest just does have its faults like Heaven's Gate used to try and some mismatched gfx but just hangs current version won't boot. I would keep a tonyhax around too

What is odd is I couldn't get UniROM update burn to run, tonyhax had to run it for me lol

EDIT: Man! UniROM has had a 60>50hz feature for some reason, and now he's done with opposite and it is dead spot-on! I tried Crisis Beat PAL that I used to GS for 60 and Y-Fix, so this time no cheats and rock solid

That’s the beauty of the mid game swap method. When using a PSX Change to boot a game, and in that game you have to “open” the lid and change disc 1 to disc 2 then “close” the lid (MGS is not like this, Parasite Eve and Chrono Cross are).

I am gonna try TonyHAX, but if my PlayStation is too old to have the unlock commands in the bios then PS X Change + mid game swap trick for the few games that require it is the way.

My legit PS X Change I bought on Amazon has never worked in this SCPH 1001 PlayStation. So I just ripped it to bin+cue with cdrdao and burned the image on a CD-R. So now what I do to play games:

Boot up with lid sensor pressed down and no game in.

Go to the CD audio menu.

Put in literally any legit game.

Stop pressing down lid sensor for a second, then press it down again. The legit game spins for a few seconds and stops. Then swap in my burned PS X Change CD-R. Exit the audio menu.

PS X Change boots. Swap out the burned PS X Change with the desired burned backup game I want to play. Press start.

Oh, and just for my console, I have to prop it up literally like the angle of this slash: \ each time I need to boot a burned CD-R so that’s fun.

The only problem with the audio menu swap trick is that the TOC from the legit game is always used. The TOC for PS X Change is so small though that it can always use the TOC from the legit game. Then by using PS X Change which resets the TOC with a bios command (I know such a command exists, and honestly how else would this work? The TOC of PS X Change itself definitely isn’t used. This is just a guess though) to the current burned CD-R, every game can work! No modifications, no hot swaps (except the mid game ones), stock console.

If my bios doesn’t have the unlock commands, this is the best I’ll get with the reset TOC command in PS X Change.

https://github.com/brad-lin/FreePSXBoot says my bios is not compatible since it’s not in the compatibility chart.

https://orca.pet/tonyhax/ Says my early US console isn’t supported (though misprinted as SCPH 1000 U for some reason).

I believe all the game shark flash solutions use the same unsupported unlock commands as well.

Fine by me.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#30 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:07 am

Not to be funny but you could buy a supported ps1 on the list for next to nothing i got 3 of them a year ago for $5 each.. no real why to stick with an unsupported early console on the way out you have to put on it's side??