3DO

Talk about PlayStation Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: 3DO

Post#21 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:49 pm

I went between Saturn Need for Speed to 3DO Need for Speed recently. Man, what a huge change in framerate and handling. 3DO version is more like a simulator and the Saturn port is more like an arcade game. While NFS1 on 3DO is a huge accomplishment and standout game for the time, I'd have to say it would be a rare day for me to pick it over the Saturn version with its smooth framerate.

Crash N Burn is really the only 3DO exclusive I find myself periodically revisiting. It made a huge impression on me as a kid in 1994. It has its drawbacks but I nostalgically love the car and track designs, in particular I can't think of too many other car games that have the super steep hills this game has. The draw distance is also outstanding due to some programming tricks the developers employed. Since the car can only move side to side and the camera angle doesn't change much, some people mistakenly think the game is an FMV game like megarace where the track is just a video. Instead, this game is more complicated. It is indeed rendering polygons, but it has pre-defined paths for the camera and pre-calculated lists of exactly what polygons to render so it doesn't have to calculate stuff on the fly. The tradeoff for that: the car has more restricted movement than other 3D racers, but the game gets an absolutely insane draw distance for the era.

Discussion from 1994 about the pre-calculated list of polygons to render
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... ojzp1BxduQ

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#22 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:50 pm

were the 3do does a lot better with 3DO has actual transparent shadows (Saturn has dithered sprites instead) backgrounds are better on 3DO
This is an original 3DO title, while the Sega Saturn is a port. Nuff said.plays better has wacky fmv and added stuff stripped from ps1 and saturn versions

framerate to me is not everything game plays like it's suposed is what counts starfighter 3000 is far better on 3do then saturn port FMV seens are not the same on the ports ether

Saturn and PS1 removed objects, effects and decreased resolution of textures to increase FPS.

I guess everybody already knows this, but naturally the 3DO version is the definitive console version of this incarnation of the game. You have the best drawing distance, the highest resolution, the best dolby surround ... and of course the worst engine sound in stereo mode ... :)

BTW: You know you are a Road Rash crack when you know where the flying tree is located in the 3DO version ... ;)

Just because a port has a higher framerate does not mean to me it's best what did they take out draw distance texture sound etc.. amazing what they did on the 3d0 with this game when you think the saturn is about 2x more powerful

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#23 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:03 pm

dark wrote:I went between Saturn Need for Speed to 3DO Need for Speed recently. Man, what a huge change in framerate and handling. 3DO version is more like a simulator and the Saturn port is more like an arcade game. While NFS1 on 3DO is a huge accomplishment and standout game for the time, I'd have to say it would be a rare day for me to pick it over the Saturn version with its smooth framerate.

Crash N Burn is really the only 3DO exclusive I find myself periodically revisiting. It made a huge impression on me as a kid in 1994. It has its drawbacks but I nostalgically love the car and track designs, in particular I can't think of too many other car games that have the super steep hills this game has. The draw distance is also outstanding due to some programming tricks the developers employed. Since the car can only move side to side and the camera angle doesn't change much, some people mistakenly think the game is an FMV game like megarace where the track is just a video. Instead, this game is more complicated. It is indeed rendering polygons, but it has pre-defined paths for the camera and pre-calculated lists of exactly what polygons to render so it doesn't have to calculate stuff on the fly. The tradeoff for that: the car has more restricted movement than other 3D racers, but the game gets an absolutely insane draw distance for the era.

Discussion from 1994 about the pre-calculated list of polygons to render
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... ojzp1BxduQ

might change your mind

There is a speed hack for the game now :) bring the framerate right up faster then ps1 or saturn version :) so 3d0 could do it baby! can download and burn this so

https://yadi.sk/public?hash=sxJOU6vcRlv ... YEV8dRA%3D proper framerate better ten saturn or ps1 there you go :)

http://forum.3doplanet.ru/viewforum.php ... 06dbc2e53a 3do best forum

this type of thing can be done to other games also unreleased games etc and a homebrew scene

Greg2600
dark night

Post#24 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:24 pm

PC had the best versions of those games back then, which is what I inevitably wound up getting. I got a Pentium 1, primarily because I was a big sim racing and fighter jet player, and picked up PC versions of that era's 3DO/PS1 games. Saturn was like the invisible system for me back then.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#25 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:36 am

It's possible to run the 3DO version on dreamcast ?
Never heard of it. Road rage is one of my favorite serie.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#26 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:45 am

fafadou wrote:It's possible to run the 3DO version on dreamcast ?
Never heard of it. Road rage is one of my favorite serie.

#3DO is the Original version

but know it's not..

Emulators for 3DO dont do it as well as hardware

Thing is lot of these games can be hacked now to up the framerate.. seems the devs made them not as fast as they new they could run

Greg2600
dark night

Post#27 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:51 am

The OG Xbox had an emulator called 3DOx which loaded games but ran at like 5 FPS, but development stopped on it. Given that most Playstation games run okay as part of CoinOps, I think that system could have emulated 3DO fine; and thus Dreamcast as well. However, there's just not a demand for 3DO emulation development on anything anymore.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#28 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:19 am

Greg2600 wrote:The OG Xbox had an emulator called 3DOx which loaded games but ran at like 5 FPS, but development stopped on it. Given that most Playstation games run okay as part of CoinOps, I think that system could have emulated 3DO fine; and thus Dreamcast as well. However, there's just not a demand for 3DO emulation development on anything anymore.

3do like the saturn is not easy to emulate no way a xbox OG could run it or a dreamcast emulator 733mhz celron pc with weak grafix card cant emulate a saturn 3do or a dreamcast..

Playstation is much easier hardware to emulate then a 3do

Dreamcast can emulated the ps1 fullspeed 640x480 with a 200mhz cpu because it's using the 3d power.. saturn and 3do dont use the power of 3d to make it work very much have custom chips grafix modes that cant transfer to how other systems work

http://www.fourdo.com/downloads/ best emulator

3DO homebrew

now there is the kit and able to sign homebrew we might see some more

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... EFCED57BF0 you need this if you want sign homebrew kit is on the net can also use this to hack retail games decompile them like need4speed framerate hack

Return to “PlayStation Consoles”