Monster Hunter PS2: Online Revival Possible

Talk about PlayStation Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Re: Monster Hunter PS2: Online Revival Possible

Post#11 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:24 pm

BananaXX wrote:Any updates ReaderRagfish? I only ask because you mentioned in the Area 51 thread "... we've been testing/debugging a Monster Hunter server and it's a ton of fun". So it works to some degree?

Yeah, it's mostly working with just a few issues. I've put in about 20 hours so far across the last week or so. I'm not supposed to share the DNS address and stuff yet because we're not ready to make it public (a few minor bugs to work out, not to mention setting up guides on how to connect and all that fun stuff), but here's a screenshot to tide you over ;)

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#12 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:40 pm

I wonder, does this mean reviving other old MH games is also possible, or did the protocol completely change with each release? The PS2 alone has several MH games, IIRC...
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#13 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:I wonder, does this mean reviving other old MH games is also possible, or did the protocol completely change with each release? The PS2 alone has several MH games, IIRC...

From what I gather, MH1 is the key focus right now but they briefly tested the others using similar servers. 2 Dos functions in some areas but needs a lot of work and currently multiplayer doesn't work. G was also tried but out of the box didn't work at all. All 3 use KDDI so they're not impossible, but we're taking it one step at a time.

The western versions used a completely different protocol, and unfortunately due to this will likely never be revived. It's not a huge deal though, as a translation patch is being worked on and the most important stuff (items, menus, etc) is already completed.

BananaXX
undertow

Post#14 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:10 pm

ReaderRagfish wrote:
BananaXX wrote:Any updates ReaderRagfish? I only ask because you mentioned in the Area 51 thread "... we've been testing/debugging a Monster Hunter server and it's a ton of fun". So it works to some degree?

Yeah, it's mostly working with just a few issues. I've put in about 20 hours so far across the last week or so. I'm not supposed to share the DNS address and stuff yet because we're not ready to make it public (a few minor bugs to work out, not to mention setting up guides on how to connect and all that fun stuff), but here's a screenshot to tide you over ;)

This is fantastic, thanks for the update! Quick question though: would we be able to play online with an emulator or real hardware only?

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#15 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:25 pm

Emulators will work, it's how a few of us are playing. But due to the nature of emulation and differing hardware, it's less reliable. They've reported stuff like more frequent disconnects/crashes, sometimes other players are invisible in the lobby, and for the most part these bugs aren't fixable on the server side.

So basically, emulators will work, but playing on original hardware instead is recommended. I personally boot the game from my PS2's hard drive using OPL.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#16 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:34 am

PCSX2 seems too hard but sure some xlink it and play the other DNS-revived titles and such

Got me MaxDIYPower's SATA board for the net adapter =} And if I can do the swap who can't (thank fuck it came with new ribbon already attached) So no IDE HDD crap and yeh WinHIIP and OPL are golden

You could even shove 2TB in your PS2

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#17 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:33 am

I thought about doing the SATA mod, but it would have taken at least 2 weeks to arrive when I wanted to play as soon as possible, and I still would have had to buy a new hard drive and usb cable to write stuff onto it. So I just bought an IDE drive, it works fine.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#18 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:25 am

I got the cheapo generic the infamous ALL IN 1 HDD Docking docker. Works like a charm

I'd even got used WD Blue 500gig used from CeX AKA webuy.com (not dealing in the US anymore unfortunate), and I thought WD were garbage I know the green ones are from new thing din't last me a year and was slave only

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#19 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Mine's a Seagate with 160 GB. Might not be enough storage for people looking to put tons of games on there but for my purpose of running patched versions of a few different Monster Hunter games, it's more than enough.

Dixdros
noob

Post#20 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:45 pm

ReaderRagfish wrote:

hey thanks for your work to make a mh1 private server! i have a question have your team any forum or discord for new news to this project? and how long for a open beta or something ?