Xbox Live Original Resurrection: Insignia

Talk about Xbox Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Impulse
Admin

Xbox Live Original Resurrection: Insignia

Post#1 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:26 am

Hey dudes, some of you may already heard that the original Xbox live is coming back thanks to the Insignia project. You'll be able to play on original xbox consoles or with an emulator (details here).

The closed beta starts Nov. 15. you can sign up on their website: https://insignia.live/

Here is the day 1 game list: https://twitter.com/Insignia_Live/statu ... sWjuEOqmsw
Call of Duty: Finest Hour
Conker: Live and Reloaded
Counter-Strike
Crimson Skies (and it's online demo)
Dance Dance Revolution: Ultramix
Dead or Alive Ultimate
MechAssault (and it's online demo)
Midtown Madness 3
MotoGP: Online Demo
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
Star Wars: Jedi Academy
Street Fither Anniversary Collection
Tetris Worlds Online
Unreal Championship
Whacked (And it's online demo)
Xbox Live Arcade
XIII

I'm pretty excited for this because in my eyes the xbox and it's online functionally was basically the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast. Xbox live carried the torch when Sega net shutdown. I have fantastic memories playing Halo 2, PGR 2, Crimson Skies, Unreal Championship, Counter Strike online and many more. I was still playing my dc online at the same time though ;) Official servers were still up for quite a few games.

Let me know if you get into the beta and post your gamertags here!
-Impulse

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Re: Xbox Live Original Resurrection: Insignia

Post#2 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:01 am

I am really stoked to see this finally happening. I really felt like MS could have done this themselves and had backwards compatible OG xbox games running insolation on modern consoles (or at least an official tunneling service).

I really want to play Mechassault, Conker, and Crimsom Skies online again.

But what is absolutely awesome is that PSOX will FINALLY be playable online again. That game was destroyed by hackers day 1 and then SEGA just plain stopped updating the game. I've always been curious what things could be done with PSOX that were not possible with other versions of the game.

I don't have an OG xbox anymore, but might actually pick one up depending on how active the community is.

CrashMidnick
blackout!

Post#3 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:03 am

This is awesome !!! Thanks for the info. So much time spent on Halo 2 and UT Championship :)

Retro-45
letterbomb

Post#4 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:07 pm

Preety cool to see the og xbox back online like this.

I need to get a og xbox I am sick of playing on the one and its not up to par emulation. Is it worth to get one at this point through? Or better to emulate?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:34 pm

Impulse wrote:You'll be able to play on original xbox consoles or with an emulator.

I believe original hardware is required. Modern Vintage Gamer did a video on this recently and specifically stated that emulators would not work.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#6 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:17 pm

And, in case people weren't aware... With PSO on Insignia, you'll be able to play either on Sylverant or Schtserv -- both already have supported PSO for Xbox (at least to a good degree) for a while now. :)

Johne
fragger

Post#7 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:15 pm

According to Borman and Insignia with the XEMU emulator will be possible to play when a XBOX SERIAL NUMBER, a XBOX ONLINE KEY and a XBOX HDD KEY could be generated. Would be great that more people can play through emulators.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:22 pm

I can confirm I played with Gen6 and others a lot from GameCube and him on Insignia alpha and no troubles anywhere

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#9 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:43 am

Damn. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my original Xbox wireless adapter. I assume that will work with this? I have no way of having a wired connection where my gaming setup is.

I wonder what this means for DLC; if these servers can host the original DLC and you'd be able to download them in-game like originally.

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#10 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:07 am

Insignia has stated that they will not be hosting any DLC, as they cannot legally do so (and they're trying not to get C&Ded from MSFT).

Of course, you can use whatever DLC you already have on your console just fine still.