Original Xbox: Backwards Compatibility

Talk about Xbox Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Roareye
Rank 9

Original Xbox: Backwards Compatibility

Post#1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:17 pm

So for the last few months we've had a thin dribble of original Xbox games becoming backwards compatible with Xbox One (And a couple enhanced on Xbox One X - such as Fusion Frenzy). For those not in the know, here's the list of titles already available;
Black
Blinx: The Time Sweeper
Bloodrayne II
Breakdown
Conker: Live & Reloaded
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Dead To Rights
Destroy All Humans!
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Full Spectrum Warrior
Fusion Frenzy
Grabbed by the Ghoulies (Also available via Rare Replay)
Hunter: The Reckoning
Jade Empire
King of Fighters: NeoWave (Japan Only)
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
MX Unleashed (Does not include MX vs ATV Unleashed)
Ninja Gaiden Black (Does not include the original Ninja Gaiden)
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory (Europe Only)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Psychonauts
Red Faction II
Sid Meier's Priates!
SSX 3
Star Wars: Battlefront
Star Wars: Battlefront II
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars Jedi Starfighter
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Star Wars: Republic Commando

It's a mish-mash of different games from different companies. The only ones with an obvious correlation are the Star Wars titles. By the way, any titles that are region specific (Panzer Elite Action being a Germany-only release for example) will work in other regions. Essentially the Xbox One just reads what the game is from the disc and downloads a region free version onto the hard drive. You'll always need the disc in the drive to play it (Unless you purchase them via the Xbox Live Store) but don't panic about regions. The different versions is frustrating though, as I have Ninja Gaiden but not Ninja Gaiden Black, so no game for me. There's the same issue on the Xbox 360 list with Virtua Fighter 5 not working but Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown working fine.

Microsoft have made it known that more will be coming, but also that it won't be the entire library, they'll be cherry-picking titles to port. There are obviously shed-loads of titles missing, but some are more worthy than others. So what titles would you like to see ported to the Xbox One? If you own an Xbox original, try choosing just 5 games (not yet on that list) you would want to see ported. If not, are there any Xbox titles that have always interested you?

So for me, my five are as follows;
1 - Jet Set Radio Future: Quite possibly the most important SEGA title on the system, and still an exclusive. The game was backwards compatible on the Xbox 360, so this should be an easy game to port. Sega are interested in this service (Panzer Dragoon Orta has been released) so Jet Set Radio Future should definitely make that list.

2 - Timesplitters 2: The true spriritual successor to Goldeneye 007 (and to a certain extent the original Perfect Dark), Timesplitters 2 was hilarious, well made and a solid classic shooter with an excellent multiplayer. This may be difficult to get the rights for, since Free Radical are no longer in existence, but Timesplitters 2 deserves it's place in the current gen. Adding this game would also generate a massive amount of goodwill for Microsoft too, as I've never heard anyone with a negative opinion of this game, it's a true gamer's classic.

3 - Timesplitters 3 Future Perfect: I'm half begrudging sequels being added to this list, but with the Timesplitters games it is worth it (Note that Timesplitters 1 only ever appeared on PS2). The story for this game was more refined, the characterisation stronger, and it included a mode to build your own multiplayer maps! We don't even have that in games fifteen years later. An absolute must.

4 - Unreal Championship 2 The Liandri Conflict: By far the most unique shooter on the system. Third person, platforming deathmatch game. Incredibly stylish, Raiden (from Mortal Kombat) as a hidden character, and gameplay that is still unrivalled in it's niche genre. I was disappointed when this didn't make it to Xbox 360, and I'd be disappointed if it was left out again. My favourite non-Sega title on the system.

5 - Outrun 2: This last one was a tough call. It was between this, Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast, Toejam and Earl III, Dead or Alive Ultimate and Gun Valkyrie. Outrun 2 won out for me because 2006 Coast 2 Coast is too hard to find, and it's just a more stand out game for me personally. Any of the mentioned would work fine, but I have so many great memories of Outrun 2 that it had to make the list.

I omitted a few seemingly obvious choices, but I'll explain why;
Chrinicles of Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay: Xbox 360 remaster exists. It's not compatible with Xbox One, but I'd want the remaster out of the two versions.
Doom III: Doom 3 BFG Edition on the Xbox 360 is already available on Xbox One
Halo: The Remaster of this is already available on Xbox One
Halo 2: The Remaster of this is already available on Xbox One
Phantasy Star Online: While I'd love a modern console to play this on, the online service is unlikely to be active (unlike the DC fan community) and converting a version that will be inferior to the Dreamcast version (which is still online) seems a waste of time.
Shenmue II: The Remaster of this is coming out this year on PS4 and Xbox One.

Surprises to me were that Mortal Kombat, Dead or Alive and Project Gotham Racing (PGR - which is owned by Microsoft!) have all been left off of both the original and 360 compatibility lists. Perhaps they'll bulk release them the way they did the Star Wars titles? Just an oddly popular omission.

Anyway, let us know your thoughts guys. Look forward to seeing which games are the most wanted :D

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Re: Original Xbox: Backwards Compatibility

Post#2 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:49 pm

MS should bring back xbl for these BC games...of course I know they won't but I can fantasize.

BloodBrother
core

Post#3 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:05 am

Sudeki, Gun Valkyrie, Call of Cthulhu, JSRF, The Suffering. Ill edit as i think it over more, I've made a top 5 list in my head before, but can't remember what theyd be at the moment. These were at the top o my head tho
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#4 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:08 am

ncman071 wrote:MS should bring back xbl for these BC games...of course I know they won't but I can fantasize.

What i have really been hoping for, was that MS would announce an x-link kai type app for the xbox. Have it built into the system and allow OG xbox BC games to be tunneled online if they support LAN mode. Sony did this sort of thing with the PSP IIRC. You could use the PS3 as a host to the service and connect to the PSP to it.