New Wii Owner with Questions

Talk about any Nintendo Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

New Wii Owner with Questions

Post#1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:04 am

Yo guys

I recently got a Wii. I'm not really satisfied with it in and of itself, so far. But I got it for a decent price and I figure it won't be bad for emulating games of Nintendo consoles I don't have (everything except SNES) and for playing Gamecube games.

I have a couple questions for those of you who know:

1) Are the Gamecube and Wii controllers region-free? I am guessing yes but I want to make sure before I buy anything.

2) I searched on the internet but could not find a comprehensive list of Sega games made for the GC. I mean I know all the big ones: Sonic Heroes, F-Zero, Monkey Balls, all the sports games, etc.... but I wanted to look at a more thorough list.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: New Wii Owner with Questions

Post#2 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:55 pm

1. The controllers are universal.
2. You can go to the link (below) and then sort by publisher. There are quite a bit of Sega games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games
Last edited by Bob Dobbs on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post#3 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:33 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:1. The controllers are universal.
2. You can go to the link (below) and then sort by publisher. There are quite a bit of Sega games.

1) Thanks! That will save me some money. There are one dollar auctions for the Japanese ones all over ebay (not including shipping of course)

2) I can't see the link.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#4 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:57 am

I fixed it...sorry.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post#5 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:35 am

Thanks!

So this is a complete list?

And the Wikipedia list of Gamecube games is also complete?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#6 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:31 pm

I would believe so. BTW, the last official game for the Wii is "Rodea the Sky Soldier". It has just been released in Japan on April 2, 2015, so it ends there. For North America, September 22, 2015 is the slated date.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#7 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:18 pm

Just to be sure, you did get a Wii with GC accessory ports, right? Later models removed the GC controller and memory card ports and no longer work with GC games. Be sure you got the right one before your return window closes!

Note: You can't go online with PSO GC normally using a Wii, but you can go online if you install homebrew onto your Wii and use Devolution. This gives you the significant benefit of being able to connect a normal USB keyboard to your Wii to type, instead of trying to find one of the obscure GC keyboard adapters.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#8 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Good point, Ives. My son has the Family Edition, which is black and has no GC support. It is also slightly slimmer, thus making it the smallest game console in history.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post#9 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:57 am

^ Absolutely I made sure to get the one with GC controller ports and backward compatibility.

I got the Wii for a few reasons:

1) Easy to soft mod and run emulators on (my poor computer overheats up after running an NES game for 10 minutes, I swear)

2) Gamecube backwards compatibility but with cheaper component cables and can even run GC rom files

3) Nights sequel, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

And that's pretty much it. Its library of games really does not seem impressive. How are the Sonic games? The newest Sonic game I played was Sonic Adventure 2. I consider myself a Sonic fan and I don't want to be exposed to crap with Sonic's name so I'm only gonna play the newer games that yall recommend.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#10 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:05 pm

I consider Sonic Heroes to be much better than Sonic Adventure, although I still haven't gotten around to SA2.
"Fear the HUnewearl."