My latest purchase...

Talk about any Nintendo Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Re: My latest purchase...

Post#11 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:23 pm

Xiden wrote:
mkandersson1082 wrote:I recently ordered this sexy beast from Japan along with an Everdrive clone; just waiting on a third party, Australian power supply. I can't wait to start playing some games on it :D

Be careful using a clone ED. The voltages I hear are wildly unstable on those devices and will eventually kill your N64.

Based on my research the general consensus is that they are perfectly fine. It seems to be an absolute minority that claim to have any issues with them.

Xiden
Developer

Post#12 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:48 pm

mkandersson1082 wrote:
Xiden wrote:
mkandersson1082 wrote:I recently ordered this sexy beast from Japan along with an Everdrive clone; just waiting on a third party, Australian power supply. I can't wait to start playing some games on it :D

Be careful using a clone ED. The voltages I hear are wildly unstable on those devices and will eventually kill your N64.

Based on my research the general consensus is that they are perfectly fine. It seems to be an absolute minority that claim to have any issues with them.

Hopefully that is the case :) just wanted to give you a heads up.

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#13 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:53 pm

Xiden wrote:
mkandersson1082 wrote:
Xiden wrote:

Hopefully that is the case :) just wanted to give you a heads up.

Cheers :)

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#14 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:14 am

This thing is pretty good as far as cheap flash carts go, it's not like something like SNES where tons of games won't work unless you get the fanciest most expensive flash carts. Pokemon Stadium 2 is pretty much the only game that has major issues that can't be worked around.

Xiden wrote:Be careful using a clone ED. The voltages I hear are wildly unstable on those devices and will eventually kill your N64.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. From what I understand that's a misconception started by some crappy (now deleted) db electronics article trying to get people to buy their own products instead of anyone else's. It said the same thing about official everdrives too, not just the clones. It's been disproven by people who actually know what they're talking about.

Video discussing the topic by BennVenn, someone who has years of experience creating mods and accessories for old consoles

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#15 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:49 pm

Ragfish wrote:This thing is pretty good as far as cheap flash carts go, it's not like something like SNES where tons of games won't work unless you get the fanciest most expensive flash carts. Pokemon Stadium 2 is pretty much the only game that has major issues that can't be worked around.

Xiden wrote:Be careful using a clone ED. The voltages I hear are wildly unstable on those devices and will eventually kill your N64.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. From what I understand that's a misconception started by some crappy (now deleted) db electronics article trying to get people to buy their own products instead of anyone else's. It said the same thing about official everdrives too, not just the clones. It's been disproven by people who actually know what they're talking about.

Video discussing the topic by BennVenn, someone who has years of experience creating mods and accessories for old consoles

There is a more up to date firmware that works with this cart that will fix the Pokemon Stadium 2 issue...but I don't care for Pokemon so I probably won't bother :lol:
I read and watched a lot of reviews regarding this particular clone and it seems that the most common issue, if any, is lack of knowledge of how the cart actually works. In saying that though, it comes with a subpar SD card inserted which includes a somewhat broken romset. Personally I dumped a verified NTSC set onto a spare micro SD I had lying around, and I've had no issues thus far. In fact I've been able to load supposedly troublesome ROMs since taking this step.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#16 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:16 pm

mkandersson1082 wrote:There is a more up to date firmware that works with this cart that will fix the Pokemon Stadium 2 issue...but I don't care for Pokemon so I probably won't bother :lol:

Unless I'm completely out of the loop on some new development, you can get the game to semi function, but problems relating to the save file are inevitable due to hardware issues that apparently can't be fixed by any firmware update. Apparently the issue has to do with the flash cart using parts of the game rom as save data, which will slowly cause issues in 64MB roms that also use flash memory.

But either way, if you don't care about pokemon, then you're golden, outside of random stuff like the modem built into the cartridge for morita shogi 64 not working for obvious reasons :lol:

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#17 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:57 pm

Update: I've been playing my N64 pretty extensively; I even left games running on attract mode for several hours to see if I encounter any issues with overheating...and...nothing. So far it seems the negative spin regarding the ED clones are false.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#18 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:53 pm

Donkey Kong 64 to reproduce the oh so infamous bug that the xpack requirement was only in place just to delay it.. oh for fucking out loud!!!

One time on my 64drive (don't bother Marshall he's trash I got lucky he not damn anyone in 2012) I decided leave DK sit in the hub world for.. 25 hours? Nothing, no such bug no lock-up occurred to me

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#19 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:46 pm

mistamontiel wrote:Donkey Kong 64 to reproduce the oh so infamous bug that the xpack requirement was only in place just to delay it.. oh for fucking out loud!!!

One time on my 64drive (don't bother Marshall he's trash I got lucky he not damn anyone in 2012) I decided leave DK sit in the hub world for.. 25 hours? Nothing, no such bug no lock-up occurred to me

Just another myth that still gets spread around. According to a recent dev interview, the game was planned to use the expansion pak from the very beginning, and while there was a game breaking bug encountered late in development, the expansion pak wasn't the solution.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... the_dk_rap

As for the game supposedly crashing if you play for too long, that's just complete bogus too. :lol: There have been plenty of speedrunners going for 101% completion playing for 10+ hours at a time with no issues.