Sonic's GameCube Adventure

Talk about any Nintendo Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Tenente D.
shadow

Sonic's GameCube Adventure

Post#1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:07 pm

Hello everyone!
Since this place is mainly focused on the beautiful Dreamcast, I wanted to know what you think about the two Sonic Adventure games ports on the GameCube!

I've personally played them a lot.
SA DC holds more nostalgic value and I love the dreamcast graphics, while I gotta admit I played SA2 Battle more than the original Dreamcast release.

What are your personal thoughts about SA DX and SA2 Battle, Dreamcast fans?
Attachments
20190808_015913-1.jpg
Tenente D.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Re: Sonic's GameCube Adventure

Post#2 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:17 pm

Only played the PC ports and the original DC releases, not the GC ports, but from memory and from watching vidoes, the GC ports were pretty botched. Tons of glitches and technical errors.

Also, they fixed the Knuckles/Rouge spin attack exploit, which made their later stages so much easier. So jsut for that, I prefer the original DC release, lol.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 pm

I bought SA2 DC when it first came out and played it a ton. Honestly I felt a little gipped when my friend got it on GC later. There was substantial content that was only available in the GC version, which it seemed like could have easily been in the DC version - stuff like being able to do 2 player mode on more of the levels that were in the 1P mode of the game, or being able to play as more of the sonic characters in the 2p mode. The framerate was better on GC as well, but I guess that's just the more powerful tech of that system.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#4 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:37 pm

I played SA2 on the gamecube. It plays really nice, and the two player mode is alot of fun too.
But I will admit, the gamecube version was a bit buggy though. But still, it was alot of fun.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:41 pm

dark wrote:I bought SA2 DC when it first came out and played it a ton. Honestly I felt a little gipped when my friend got it on GC later. There was substantial content that was only available in the GC version, which it seemed like could have easily been in the DC version - stuff like being able to do 2 player mode on more of the levels that were in the 1P mode of the game, or being able to play as more of the sonic characters in the 2p mode. The framerate was better on GC as well, but I guess that's just the more powerful tech of that system.

Dreamcast version runs at 60fps

The Dreamcast is much better for three primary reasons:

1) There is more unlockables, you have to collect emblems to unlock 2-player characters, adding more incentive to play. The gamecube version would have you collect 180 emblems for the secret level, but Dreamcast isn't so bad since you are collecting emblems for different unlockables, one step at a time. Much more replayability.

2) I hate chao's. Chao's are boring. I hate grinding and going through Radical Highway 10 times in a row just to get my Chao to run faster than the opposition. If you hate Chao, there will be more to hate about it in the Gamecube version.

3) It's the freaking Sega Dreamcast. Play Sonic on a Sega system, the way it is meant to be played.

Framerate is not better on the gamecube at all the things they added i never liked the models have added crap to them

Lighting is better on the dreamcast version since it's not a port it's the real game

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#6 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:52 pm

Tarnish wrote:Only played the PC ports and the original DC releases, not the GC ports, but from memory and from watching vidoes, the GC ports were pretty botched. Tons of glitches and technical errors.

Also, they fixed the Knuckles/Rouge spin attack exploit, which made their later stages so much easier. So jsut for that, I prefer the original DC release, lol.

I agree with that as well

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:53 pm

Tenente D. wrote:Hello everyone!
Since this place is mainly focused on the beautiful Dreamcast, I wanted to know what you think about the two Sonic Adventure games ports on the GameCube!

I've personally played them a lot.
SA DC holds more nostalgic value and I love the dreamcast graphics, while I gotta admit I played SA2 Battle more than the original Dreamcast release.

What are your personal thoughts about SA DX and SA2 Battle, Dreamcast fans?

Main thing you said there is the main point there ports Dreamcast version runs at 60fps and has the vmu screen and the mini games does the gc version?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:01 am

also on the dreamcast version you could have better res vga output that the gamecube cant

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#9 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:05 am

So how better the grafix are in cutscenes and lighting on the dreamcast compared to the botched port on the gamecube

there other parts were the dreamcast is better lighting stage size list goes on
https://youtu.be/yMauzPcOorQ?t=376

Im sorry you grew up playing a port or think it's better

Now on the gc there are some fixes and things still a great sega game

ChristinaDreamcustDC
blackout!

Post#10 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:48 am

I was playing Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast a couple weeks ago.

I like the Chao Garden's camera angles. I used to play the game a lot for the GameCube and the gardens even looked different too. I liked the GameCube's gardens, but I remember that the Sega Dreamcast had bigger gardens, if I'm not mistaken.

I think the GameCube even had a fuller 2-player, if I remember correctly.

One advantage, or course, to the Sega Dreamcast in general, is the ease of getting modded CDIs to work. Burning the Limited Edition (my edition) of Sonic Adventure, a prototype, et cetera, is pretty simple stuff. The GameCube supports mods too, but usually a mod chip or boot disc is requried for homebrew.

Honestly, they're both pretty good, but there's a lot of comparisions of small differences like loading, save file VMU/GBA, and a lot of other things.

Check out The Cutting Room Floor for some comparisons:
https://tcrf.net/Sonic_Adventure_DX:_Director%27s_Cut_(GameCube)/Changes_from_the_Dreamcast_Version