Nintendo 64!!!

Talk about any Nintendo Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Fox702
shadow

Re: Nintendo 64!!!

Post#21 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:31 am

retro wrote:
Ragfish wrote:N64 definitely has its flaws and it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I wonder how many of its detractors might see it in a new light if they actually played with a period accurate setup. Unlike most other old consoles, I've never really been satisfied playing N64 unless it was on real hardware, on a CRT, using an original controller in good shape. Playing Mario 64 and F Zero X on my Wii was just painful with how messed up the analog controls were, and if that was my first exposure to this console, I'd probably not be interested in playing much more of it.

Absolutely agree with you on this point!

N64 emulation was such a pain in the butt, I even went as far to buy a USB N64-style controller, but I just wasn't satisfied with the outcome.

I have tried injecting N64 ROMs using the UWUVCI AIO tool for the Wii U, and the N64 VC emulator is very poor. Outside of the small handful of games that were officially released, not many games were playable. The only ones I could get working were Beetle Adventure Racing and Wonder Project J 2.

It's only with the availability of the N64Digital kit did I decide to finally get the real console.

I'm currently using a Brawler64 wireless controller with it, and do not have problems with the few games I tested (Mario Kart 64, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Mace: The Dark Age, Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Cruis'n USA, Killer Instinct Gold, DOOM 64)

I'm the type that leave every single console I have permanently hooked up, and it's on my shelf now next to my GameCube, and below my Wii and Wii U.

did you check out this list? some games need an ini file as well. Beetle Race and Wave Race are both marked compatible. i tried the injector recently myself, but i'm having an issue with it. lately on the injector i cand select some files but for the base i can only select a folder.
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiU_VC_N ... ility_list

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#22 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:06 am

Hombrew wii n64 emulator plays some of these better then the hacked official thing btw

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#23 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:11 pm

I tried a bunch of N64 games on my hacked wii using the not64 emulator, and the results were not very good. Tons of slowdown, messed up audio, major graphical glitches, seizure inducing flickering, many games not booting at all, it was just a mess. Sometimes the issues can be fixed by messing with the settings, but if you're not already familiar with how the game works on real hardware, how do you even know what's caused by emulation and what's normal?

Also, the compatibility lists on gbatemp are terrible. For example, it lists San Francisco Rush 2049 as running great on not64 when the menus are broken and the gameplay is constantly stuttering. Virtual console injects are sometimes better, but usually they're worse, and they're just a pain to deal with in general.

retro wrote:N64 emulation was such a pain in the butt, I even went as far to buy a USB N64-style controller, but I just wasn't satisfied with the outcome.

I even tried using an OEM N64 controller using a raphnet USB adapter on an emulator with the stick sensitivity set to original N64 ranges/values, and the controls still didn't feel right compared to a real console.

It's just so frustrating that N64 emulation is still so much of a pain when even notoriously difficult consoles like Sega Saturn are starting to get pretty respectable emulators. N64 was not one of the best selling Nintendo systems, so for many people, emulation will be the only way they experience these games, but when it's hard to even find an emulator that displays the HUD sprites in Mario 64 properly, I have a hard time thinking they'll be very impressed by the experience.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#24 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:13 pm

Strange are you sure you have the new builds for wii when trying these ? N64 emulator on og xbox is very very good for example

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#25 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:23 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Strange are you sure you have the new builds for wii when trying these ? N64 emulator on og xbox is very very good for example

It does seem to have gotten a few more updates since I last tried it, but it wasn't that long ago that I tried it, using the most recent build at the time. For reference, I tried a little over 20 games, and there were only 2 games where I didn't notice any major issues within 5-10 minutes of playing, and about 5 of them either didn't boot at all or crashed within minutes.

From what I understand, surreal 64 on Xbox is considered to be better than any N64 emulator on Wii, but I've never personally tried it.

retro
lithium

Post#26 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:58 pm

Fox702 wrote:did you check out this list? some games need an ini file as well. Beetle Race and Wave Race are both marked compatible. i tried the injector recently myself, but i'm having an issue with it. lately on the injector i cand select some files but for the base i can only select a folder.
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiU_VC_N ... ility_list

It's been at least a year, so I cannot remember the specifics. I know Beetle Adventure Racing worked perfectly on the Wii U. Not sure about Wave Race.

Not gonna bother testing anymore since I have real N64 hardware now :)