Everything Wrong With the Nintendo 64

Talk about any Nintendo Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Re: Everything Wrong With the Nintendo 64

Post#21 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:35 am

3rd party software on the thing sucked for sure, but Magical Tetris Challenge and Shadowgate 64 were really awesome and I enjoyed the hell outta those.

But I hated the controller, and at the time was upset that they chose to live in the past with the cartridge format. That alone truly held the system back from it's full potential and also is probably why 3rd party support sucked so much. Plus without some modding it looks AWFUL on modern TV's, not that I can fault them for that but it does make it quite difficult today to enjoy it without it looking like crap.

Also, the brawler 64 controller is quite nice, and I enjoy that more than the Nintendo controller it came with

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#22 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:33 am

mazonemayu wrote:
azel wrote:I'm just going to say that if you think Croc was anywhere near as revolutionary as Mario 64 you're out of your mind. That game was never particularly great while Mario 64, other than the camera has aged amazingly.

The controls are so good to this day, even Mario Odyssey is just a refined version of it. Looking at any other 3d games of the time Mario is just a step ahead, even from games I still adore like Tomb Raider 1. Mario was a true leap ahead for gaming.

You're missing the point here: had Croc come out on the n64, it would've been a completely different beast, thanks to the better hardware. I'm just talking about the fact that Nintendo (as usual) picked up on the idea & used it for themselves with the obvious improvements...had Croc been an n64 launch title, next to Mario 64, then Mario 64 wouldn't have been so "innovation"...by playing it the way they did, Nintendo got all the credit for the first "truel" 3D platformer.

I loved croc and croc 2 for me i enjoyed them more then mario 64.. I love all the sound effects croc makes lol i sometimes still saying them out loud walking to the store lol

Krootox1986
letterbomb

Post#23 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:39 am

i sometimes still saying them out loud walking to the store lol

I still use ker-splat a lot :lol:

azel
fire

Post#24 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:31 am

mazonemayu wrote:
azel wrote:I'm just going to say that if you think Croc was anywhere near as revolutionary as Mario 64 you're out of your mind. That game was never particularly great while Mario 64, other than the camera has aged amazingly.

The controls are so good to this day, even Mario Odyssey is just a refined version of it. Looking at any other 3d games of the time Mario is just a step ahead, even from games I still adore like Tomb Raider 1. Mario was a true leap ahead for gaming.

You're missing the point here: had Croc come out on the n64, it would've been a completely different beast, thanks to the better hardware. I'm just talking about the fact that Nintendo (as usual) picked up on the idea & used it for themselves with the obvious improvements...had Croc been an n64 launch title, next to Mario 64, then Mario 64 wouldn't have been so "innovation"...by playing it the way they did, Nintendo got all the credit for the first "truel" 3D platformer.

See the issue here is that your argument is base off a false premise. Jumping Flash is actually credited as being the first true 3d platformer anyways although all the big ones that came out in 1996 including Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider were all being developed at the same time and very different although boundary pushing in their own ways.

The guys that made Croc just sound bitter that Nintendo didn't want to hire them. It is an interesting little story about how they had a demo up and running but the 3d platformer was coming no matter what by that time, the industry was moving towards 3d. As I said before Mario 64 isn't revolutionary because it was a first, it is just on another level control wise from any 3rd person 3d game released around that time, regardless of hardware.

Either way even taking Mario 64 out of the picture Croc wasn't released until 1997 and, if what you are saying is correct they had a head start on the Mario devs. Besides that Crash Bandicoot and Tomb Raider are still much more highly regarded.

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#25 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:47 pm

The 64 had plenty of flaws, but I've been playing and enjoying the heck out of mine recently with PVM

Maybe nostalgia, maybe game design simplicity, maybe something about the jank of Nintendo's first foray into 3d console gaming.. but its sweet

It looks pretty good over s-video too to PVM, way better than it did hooked up to my HDTV

beanboy
Wazza

Post#26 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:43 pm

That Jet Force Gemini game aka Star Twins. Wow! :D