Saturn Xtreme HDMI and MCable

Discuss anything not covered in the sections above here.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

jenco420
noob

Re: Saturn Xtreme HDMI and MCable

Post#11 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:40 pm

My Dreamcast came with a composite cable fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#12 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:44 am

Windows9X wrote:
Anything is better than SCART, in my opinion.

Clearly you never played scart on a crt. :lol:

I even went back to playing scart on a crt for everything I own, including the entire 6th gen of consoles, coming from “better” solutions on a modern tv, there’s really nothing that comes close to that quality & response time imo. Even my OG Xbox which was hooked up to a modern tv through component, actually looks better on a crt via scart, and that’s saying something :lol:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#13 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:43 am

mazonemayu wrote:
Windows9X wrote:
Anything is better than SCART, in my opinion.

Clearly you never played scart on a crt. :lol:

I even went back to playing scart on a crt for everything I own, including the entire 6th gen of consoles, coming from “better” solutions on a modern tv, there’s really nothing that comes close to that quality & response time imo. Even my OG Xbox which was hooked up to a modern tv through component, actually looks better on a crt via scart, and that’s saying something :lol:

Scart on XBOX :P :P Oh please.
Author of original DreamPi Companion..

Roel
Developer

Post#14 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:35 am

mazonemayu wrote:I even went back to playing scart on a crt for everything I own, including the entire 6th gen of consoles, coming from “better” solutions on a modern tv, there’s really nothing that comes close to that quality & response time imo.

Amen to that. I've got RGB* SCART cables for several consoles, and even fashioned my own for my Mega Drive and Neo Geo. There's just no substitute. I dread to think that my CRT will give the ghost one day and I will be forced to switch to a modern TV.

* For those who might not be aware of this, standard SCART cables are usually only wired for component composite video, which is compatible with all TVs. RGB has a much higher image quality, but not all CRT TVs supported it.
Last edited by Roel on Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#15 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:46 am

Windows9X wrote:Scart on XBOX :P :P Oh please.

You know that the xbox stock cable it came with, is in fact a composite cable with a scart plug on it, don’t you? That cable has nothing to do with an RGB scart cable, which may look similar on the outside, but is something completely different on the inside...

Roel wrote:
* For those who might not be aware of this, standard SCART cables are usually only wired for component video, which is compatible with all TVs. RGB has a much higher image quality, but not all CRT TVs supported it.

This, so hard, most folks don’t even know Or understand what RGB is, they simply see a scart plug & think “what’s all the fuss about, this is just as bad as my composite plug”, which I’ll admit it is, when you don’t know what you’re doing, and feed composite through a scart plug (like the ps1 standard did in Europe), but nothing beats true RGB scart on a crt imo :mrgreen:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Xiden
Developer

Post#16 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:35 pm

Something to point out here too. Its possible to have a non RGB scart cable. Some scart cables may only carry a composite signal or chroma/luma for svideo. That maybe OPs case if hes seeing worse or equal quality to standard svideo or composite cables.

Roel
Developer

Post#17 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:39 am

mazonemayu wrote:composite

Woops, your quote of my post made me realise that I accidentally wrote component instead of composite. Fixed it. Thanks.

Xiden
Developer

Post#18 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:25 pm

Windows9X wrote:Hi,

As the title is written, has any body tried this combination? I tried it today but i'm looking to know others opinions.

Item Ref#: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G3 ... UTF8&psc=1

Alright, so firstly i want to mention that i used version 2 of this cable; Version 1 had some issues so i waited to buy one until the issues were resolved. TL;DR, they issues have been patched and 2.0 was released; purchased it and received it.

Personally, i really like this cable. Games look really sharp and awesome however when playing through Duke Nukem, i noticed it was a tiny bit darker; Barely noticeable. I didn't see this with any other games except Duke, Hexen, Powerslave, and Sonic 3D Blast. The other games I've tested looked the same, just much sharper.

So since this cable is HDMI, naturally i try it with the MCable. --- Oof.

The MCable has always been pretty sweet; I use it for pretty much everything. -- Looks like Sega Saturn is an exception.

In my testing, the MCable offers no improvement and actually makes the image look a little less appealing.

In every game i've tested, the only 'benefit' is towards static images like title logos... they're smooth and look more """ modern """, i guess. But for actual gameplay, nothing is different. If you squint, you can see a little aliasing going on but it does not round jaggies at all. It's a very minniscule difference.

A bit of a let down, even thought i prefer the Saturn pixelated, though i still wanted to share my results with everyone here.

Yes, i know this a Dreamcast forum, that is why i posted in the off topic section. I don't feel like signing up for other forums or communities and whatnot.. I don't have a huge internet presence.

Anyways, that concludes my post. Let me know if you've tested this method or if you have any thoughts. Ciao.

Edit: This thread got off topic fast; waste.

This is why that cable you have is no bueno. Check this video out.
https://youtu.be/ZUrqWN4AcJc

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#19 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:32 pm

The lil tin metal box *L0L*. Shocking how Koralik approved it in w/e vid it popped up on

I got that as the only way to try RGB, got RGC's sync-on-luma for my PS1 and.. fuck all that nonsense

CRT+S-VID MASTER RACE