Saturn Xtreme HDMI and MCable

Discuss anything not covered in the sections above here.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Windows9X
photon blast

Saturn Xtreme HDMI and MCable

Post#1 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:11 am

Hi,

As the title is written, has any body tried this combination? I tried it today but i'm looking to know others opinions.

Item Ref#: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G3 ... UTF8&psc=1

Alright, so firstly i want to mention that i used version 2 of this cable; Version 1 had some issues so i waited to buy one until the issues were resolved. TL;DR, they issues have been patched and 2.0 was released; purchased it and received it.

Personally, i really like this cable. Games look really sharp and awesome however when playing through Duke Nukem, i noticed it was a tiny bit darker; Barely noticeable. I didn't see this with any other games except Duke, Hexen, Powerslave, and Sonic 3D Blast. The other games I've tested looked the same, just much sharper.

So since this cable is HDMI, naturally i try it with the MCable. --- Oof.

The MCable has always been pretty sweet; I use it for pretty much everything. -- Looks like Sega Saturn is an exception.

In my testing, the MCable offers no improvement and actually makes the image look a little less appealing.

In every game i've tested, the only 'benefit' is towards static images like title logos... they're smooth and look more """ modern """, i guess. But for actual gameplay, nothing is different. If you squint, you can see a little aliasing going on but it does not round jaggies at all. It's a very minniscule difference.

A bit of a let down, even thought i prefer the Saturn pixelated, though i still wanted to share my results with everyone here.

Yes, i know this a Dreamcast forum, that is why i posted in the off topic section. I don't feel like signing up for other forums or communities and whatnot.. I don't have a huge internet presence.

Anyways, that concludes my post. Let me know if you've tested this method or if you have any thoughts. Ciao.

Edit: This thread got off topic fast; waste.
Last edited by Windows9X on Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Author of original DreamPi Companion..

Sega RPG

Re: Saturn Xtreme HDMI and MCable

Post#2 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:59 am

Well i assume it's better than scart anyway?cause tried the saturn with t\e scart cable on a led tv and was horrible...

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#3 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:53 am

247 wrote:Well i assume it's better than scart anyway?cause tried the saturn with t\e scart cable on a led tv and was horrible...

Anything is better than SCART, in my opinion. These HDMI cords really make the saturn look very clean but the MCable in this case absolutely adds nothing to the table which is shocking. It's actually a hindrance in this case.

It's probably the way Saturn is designed, in terms of graphics chip; I bet these results would also be the same for the Playstation 1.

The MCable, i guess, is pretty much only useful for era(s) 1996-2009. Anything above supports HD and does not benefit and anything below just isn't a 'upgrade-able' image.

Roel
Developer

Post#4 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:47 am

Windows9X wrote:Anything is better than SCART, in my opinion.

I guess you've never experienced RF then. :roll:

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#5 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:10 am

Roel wrote:
Windows9X wrote:Anything is better than SCART, in my opinion.

I guess you've never experienced RF then. :roll:

Implying RF is even an option. :P You pretty much have to go out of your way to get an RF modulator; never of my consoles shipped with one, ever.

Sega RPG

Post#6 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am

My dreamcast shipped with an original sega rf cable xD

Xiden
Developer

Post#7 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:06 am

Those cables are actually notoriously bad. They add many frames of lag and other visual issues. If you want a cable designed correctly go with https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SEG ... 480P-CABLE. They may be for preorder at the moment.

As for scart, if you are experiencing poor quality you likely have a shitty scart cable and/or scart to hdmi converter.

A scart cable from retro console accessories or retro gaming cables + OSSC or Framemister will give you the best picture you can get :) just make sure you are buying euroscart and not jp21

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:30 am

247 wrote:My dreamcast shipped with an original sega rf cable xD

Yes so did my saturn and dreamcast.. did not have to go out of my way lol they came with it.. Was use to RF anyways

Sega RPG

Post#9 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:52 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
247 wrote:My dreamcast shipped with an original sega rf cable xD

Yes so did my saturn and dreamcast.. did not have to go out of my way lol they came with it.. Was use to RF anyways

Can't remember my first playstation but i guess it was with scart, my first dreamcast bought in (about) 2007 came with scart but it was unboxed so can't know if it was originally in the box or not (cable i don't know where it is unfortunately), my second one bought last christmas came almost new in box and rf was still sealed. Actually surprised to see an rf cable since i remember they are more from the 94/95/96 era. Left that sealed anyway as i play via vga. My saturn instead was bought boxed 3 or 4 years ago and came with a scart. Seller told me it was completely original apart from the pad wich was replaced by a cool pad since the original was broken (it's a shame cause i prefer the original although the cool pad should be more rare)

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#10 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:05 am

Xiden wrote:Those cables are actually notoriously bad. They add many frames of lag and other visual issues. If you want a cable designed correctly go with https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SEG ... 480P-CABLE. They may be for preorder at the moment.

As for scart, if you are experiencing poor quality you likely have a shitty scart cable and/or scart to hdmi converter.

A scart cable from retro console accessories or retro gaming cables + OSSC or Framemister will give you the best picture you can get :) just make sure you are buying euroscart and not jp21

I haven't experienced any issues with the cables directly to my television. Played through Powerslave and Quake without any issue.

I imported a PAL television since they're usually Multisystem; Really hard to get a multisystem NTSC television as we have no need for PAL. Yes, i've used SCART on the television, proper european scart. I'm not crazy about them.. big bulky, not to mention ugly, cable that's really no better looking than S-Video. Colors, maybe but sharpness no.. not in my opinion, anyways. The colors are a bit too much for me, as well. Red is just too red etc.

None of my American consoles came with RF; None at all. I've only ever seen adapters sold alone.

But yes, i don't have any complaints about this cable and the switch for 1:3 and 16:9 is great for my HD CRT. I recommend these cables.