(Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival

This section contains Dreamcast related news articles and topics.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Poll: Do you like the look of Dan the hero of Shadow Gangs

Yes, keep him as he is
66%
He look better in long Jeans (like Cody in final fight)
34%
Total votes: 29

DCGX
Vagabond

Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival

Post#111 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:38 am

Great tune indeed.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#112 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:44 pm

@shadowgangs I have a request: can you make this game 2 player co-op? pretty please??
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#113 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:54 pm

:), happy you enjoyed the music.

There will be at least 6 more tracks. With one long track of around 10 minutes.

There will be a huge level to accomodate this track. (I asked the muscisian to make something in the vein of Guns n' Roses November Rain, Estranged, and Dream Theater Metropolis, and some Pink Floyd influences). :)

There will also be a Queen type of music track used in one level of the Freddy mission.

All new tracks will not be made public, to keep the surprise effect of hearing in it game.

mazonemayu wrote:@shadowgangs I have a request: can you make this game 2 player co-op? pretty please??

This something I was thinking about. It will make the game appealing for a category of players who enjoy COOP, like in Bad Dudes or Double Dragon.

The problem is that to get it right it's not easy, if it is local on the same machine, it's easier to code but balancing will need more time.

For a network COOP, it will be difficult and add some more long months of developpement.

For the first public version of Shadow Gangs, it will not be COOP, as I want to make sure that the single player experience is as good as possible.

This will be the case for the Dreamcast and PC version.

If the game is successful, I promise that the next phase will be adding COOP multiplayer, local and networked.

The plan is like this:

By the end of 2018: Finish the PC version.
3 to 6 months after: Release of the Dreamcast version, which will ported directly from the finished PC version.

Depending on the game success, add COOP first, and then add a new mission (4 levels + boss) later.

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#114 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:52 pm

I am happy that Shadow Gangs is now entering it's second phase, where the levels will be created, and I wanted to share this news with you!

All the levels will be created from scratch, and by the same artist as the characters one, I am personally expecting some beautiful levels (which I will be designing myself).

It will be an action exploration kind of game, with big large levels full of secrets etc.. A blend of Shinobi for action, Gods for levels size, puzzles and secrets and more heritage from other games 8bits and 16 bits ones etc...

There will also be a story with many twists (one team member actually wrote a short one for Shadow Gangs), where Freddy and all characters will have something to tell :)

The levels number and settings are discussed here: http://www.shadowgangs.com/forum.html#/20170910/level-ideas-5531098/.

If anyone has any idea that he wants to see in the game, I am more than happy to hear.

For example, I am planning to have posters of Obama and Trump in the first level (New York), with Obama saying "Yes, we can", "make America great again" right next to it from Trump :)

In the end, there will be 15 normal levels, 5 boss levels, 1 first person perspective bonus stage (Shinobi arcade style), 3 side scrolling bonus stages (final fight style).

krssn
Metallic

Post#115 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:51 pm

shadowgangs wrote:For example, I am planning to have posters of Obama and Trump in the first level (New York), with Obama saying "Yes, we can", "make America great again" right next to it from Trump :)

Genius. I love it... :lol:

Not very 80's though...

Also, what happened to the existing levels?...

There was some nice stuff there already from what I remember.

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#116 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:45 pm

krssn wrote:Not very 80's though...

Also, what happened to the existing levels?...

There was some nice stuff there already from what I remember.

The game will be about now not the 80's.
There was one demo level, that's deprecated now.

The new levels will be bigger, richer, more inspired etc... and most importantly, drawn by the same artist who did the sprites.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#117 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:47 pm

Has any work actually started on the dreamcast version?

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#118 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:55 pm

mrneo240 wrote:Has any work actually started on the dreamcast version?

Yes, I posted about it here and the website some time ago.

The game (small demo level) is compiling and running with graphics, input, sound and music on the Dreamcast (NullDC emulator for now).
I also from time to time compile the game from the Dreamcast to keep it updated for when the Dreamcast port will be the target , which will be the case after the PC version is completely finished.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#119 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:10 pm

That's super! I'm assuming using kalistios? Or the actual SDK stuff?

Either way I'm impressed

shadowgangs
Doom

Post#120 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:10 am

mrneo240 wrote:That's super! I'm assuming using kalistios? Or the actual SDK stuff?

It's Kalistios, I would like to thank the guys behind it :)