Lilium Arena Classic - ioquake3 fork compatible with Dreamcast Q3

Talk about PC and Mac games, etc. here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ufdm
shadow

Lilium Arena Classic - ioquake3 fork compatible with Dreamcast Q3

Post#1 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:19 pm

I recently learned of a fork of ioquake3 (open source version of Quake 3) called Lilium Arena Classic, which is compatible with Quake 3 1.16n, unlike ioquake3. This means it is able to join the same servers as Dreamcast players, which was otherwise only possible with the old closed-source version.

I ran it as a client and was able to connect to the same servers as on my Dreamcast with no problems. I can't get a server hosted with it to work, but I don't know for sure if that's a limitation of it or if I've configured something wrong.

It currently only supports x86 processors so it can't be ported to phones or Switch or similar yet, but maybe someone could make an Xbox port of it, as there's a homebrew Xbox port of another version of Quake 3.

kagabim
noob

Re: Lilium Arena Classic - ioquake3 fork compatible with Dreamcast Q3

Post#2 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:34 am

I love it and the recent update on Dreamcast Q3 cookie clicker

fixeddozene
noob

Post#3 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:17 pm

ufdm wrote:I recently learned of a fork of ioquake3 (open source version of Quake 3) called Lilium Arena Classicsurvivor io, which is compatible with Quake 3 1.16n, unlike ioquake3. This means it is able to join the same servers as Dreamcast players, which was otherwise only possible with the old closed-source version.

I ran it as a client and was able to connect to the same servers as on my Dreamcast with no problems. I can't get a server hosted with it to work, but I don't know for sure if that's a limitation of it or if I've configured something wrong.

It currently only supports x86 processors so it can't be ported to phones or Switch or similar yet, but maybe someone could make an Xbox port of it, as there's a homebrew Xbox port of another version of Quake 3.

What device do you use? I can still connect to servers on other Dreamcasts normally without any problems.

ufdm
shadow

Post#4 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:34 pm

fixeddozene wrote:What device do you use? I can still connect to servers on other Dreamcasts normally without any problems.

I used the x86-64 Mac build, and servers hosted with it didn't work correctly. Dreamcast couldn't join. It had no problem joining servers hosted by the original 1.16n. I haven't tried a newer version since posting to see if hosting works now.