PS1 style Dreamcast Controller

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

PS1 style Dreamcast Controller

Post by Anthony817 »

I just bought one of these bad boys here and it has surprisingly great reviews too!

I will test it out with Bleem games to see if it recognizes the L1 and R1 but I kind of doubt it. Anyways here is the review of them from over at Dreamcast Junkyard.

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2 ... oller.html

And if anybody else wants some you better jump on it he only has 3 left!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161840176646

I know not how rare these are so if there are any collectors here grab one while you can!
Last edited by Anthony817 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DreamcastHaven
undertow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Don't have a DreamKey :( or keyboard and mouse :(

Re: Game Heaven PS1 Dreamcast Controller

Post by DreamcastHaven »

What we really need is a dual analog controller, like a dreamcast controller with a second analog stick under the ABXY buttons! Then the FPS (I'm looking at you Quake III ) will be easier with the keyboard and mouse right?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

Yeah but unfortunately it wouldn't make any difference with an extra stick. Sega did have a twin stick joypad driver coded at one point I believe but they never released any hardware for it.

As for FPS games, sticking with mouse and Keyboard is hands down the best way to play them. I have both of them and playing all of the awesome Half-Life mods in glorious 480p on my 43 inch plasma Pioneer is quite the sight.

Anyways it matters not to me that this has no analog stick on it at all. I got this to be a unique rare alternative to the ASCII fight pads.

The total control plus adapters would be good too but I really like the simply clean plug in nature of it no daisy chaining a controller to an adapter. Also, it would be nice to fit the innards of this into a real PSX pad shell.

I bet with some slight modifications the controller PCB would fit like a glove into it sans the turbo keys.
Last edited by Anthony817 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post by lastcallgames »

I'm pretty sure it uses a third party PS1 controller shell. If it had an analog stick I might be interested, but then again the PS controllers are the worst controllers of the past 20 years.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

Eh, I am not a fan of the dualshock joystick layout myself either but they do have a better D-Pad than any other console on the market at this time. The PS4 controller is still not perfectly to my liking but I do like it much more than I did the PS3 controllers. I do prefer the Xbox controllers myself as they are a more evolved Dreamcast layout.

Like I said though, this is just a rare cheap alternative to something like an Ascii fight pad for me since I would have to pay a lot just for them, and I can't stand daisy chaining things together like I would have to do with a Total Control so that is why I got it. Besides this controller is perfect for emulating SNES.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: PS1 style Dreamcast Controller

Post by Anthony817 »

Ok guys I finally got it in! I must say, this thing is GREAT! I played Street Fighter 3rd Strike, Gunlord, Metal Slug, and many other games with it. I was really happy playing with it.

The D-pad and buttons all have a nice satisfying click to them. They have rubber under the buttons so it feels good, not too much resistance just enough. The controller is as comfortable in the hands as any other PS1 controller. The D-Pad, shoulder and face buttons all feel really responsive and nice.

Combos are MUCH easier to execute on a game like Street Fighter, as the controller makes it easier to do combos requiring diagonal inputs. Also Gunlord and Metal slug were great in this respect too. More so Gunlord, as it has true 8-way controls in the game, so aiming diagonally up to the left or right is super easy now.

Overall the build quality is really good for a 3rd party controller. If you are like me, and hate daisy chaining adapters and controllers to the system, for $10 you can't go wrong. It is the most affordable alternative to those pricey ASCII fight pads, Agetech Joystick or the Total Control adapters.

Roel
Developer

Post by Roel »

Anthony817 wrote:Eh, I am not a fan of the dualshock joystick layout myself either but they do have a better D-Pad than any other console on the market at this time.
Sadly that really says more about the other consoles' D-pads than it does about the dualshock's...

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: PS1 style Dreamcast Controller

Post by Anthony817 »

Yeah, unfortunately even the Xboxone D-pad leaves a lot to be desired. If they all adopted the D-pad from the Saturn controller it would be idea.

After playing with this controller for a while it really isn't too far off from the Saturn D-pad, the 8 way movement is really great. It was a blast playing it with Zero Gunner 2 earlier. Way more comfortable and accurate than with the standard controller.