is sega the new atari?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
everynewday84
Nemesis
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, Quake 3

Re: is sega the new atari?

Post by everynewday84 »

MrSega wrote:
AlecRob wrote:i think we should all just sit back, relax, and watch how things play out.
I would agree about that.
Please do that then. Endless speculation and fantasies should stop here.
This is a message to you:
Do what you love; Love what you do.

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post by #1phoenixsunsfan »

Anybody buying aliens shooter game by sega ? Hey what was last game amc2 had a hand in, like sonic 4 app no that was sonic team, hmmm virtua fighter 6 am2 did ? Idk.

Logic
core

Post by Logic »

djvectorman wrote:Anybody buying aliens shooter game by sega ?
What you mean colonial marines?
Honestly, when they brought the game back for the first time I was excited. However as time progressed with showings and delays, It's looking and sounding worse every time they show it again.

No/removed Acid Blood Damage
Weak aliens
Too much lighting removes suspense
Lazy animations
Alien count on screen is usually too low.

It's just not something I can look forward to anymore. I'm waiting for ASRT and Rome 2 from Sega. At this point I'm not following Colonial marines much anymore nor looking for a purchase.
Freedoms:
1,2,3,4. The whole can benefit

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Logic wrote:
djvectorman wrote:Anybody buying aliens shooter game by sega ?
What you mean colonial marines?
Yup.

http://www.sega.com/alienscolonialmarines/?t=EnglishUSA
Honestly, when they brought the game back for the first time I was excited. However as time progressed with showings and delays, It's looking and sounding worse every time they show it again.

No/removed Acid Blood Damage
Weak aliens
Too much lighting removes suspense
Lazy animations
Alien count on screen is usually too low.

It's just not something I can look forward to anymore. I'm waiting for ASRT and Rome 2 from Sega. At this point I'm not following Colonial marines much anymore nor looking for a purchase.
Brought the game back, meaning from Jaguar game ?

Can you link me to new footage ?

I might buy Sonic 4 E2 and Nights for pc :

http://www.sega.com/news/?n=5725

" It will also feature an optional Saturn Mode that will let players experience the game with the original graphics intact."

Ha, cool.

If I didn't have emus I'd buy this too :

http://www.sega.com/games/sega-genesis- ... d-edition/

You guys interested in this ?

http://www.sega.com/games/house-of-the-dead-4/

Logic
core

Post by Logic »

djvectorman wrote:
Brought the game back, meaning from Jaguar game ?

Can you link me to new footage ?

You guys interested in this ?

http://www.sega.com/games/house-of-the-dead-4/
The last new footage I saw of the game was shortly after E3. Ever since then I've only seen trailers and update stories(with screenshots) which don't catch my eye. If I do end up looking at it again I'll wait till after release.

As for HOTD4. Yes I am VERY interested in it, however I won't go out to buy a PS3 for it. If it doesn't make it to Steam or some other DD platform(that's worth putting with anyway) I won't be purchasing a copy of it.
Freedoms:

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Oh I thought you could just buy and download pc hotd4 game as a exe file from Sega site. What is steam, sorry I'm retro I don't too tech savy on new stuff.

Logic
core

Post by Logic »

djvectorman wrote:Oh I thought you could just buy and download pc hotd4 game as a exe file from Sega site. What is steam, sorry I'm retro I don't too tech savy on new stuff.
Steam= Biggest DD platform on PC.

And Nah. The page lists HOTD4 as PSN only. It's not listed on Steam and not even Sega's own Digital store has HOTD available for download.
Freedoms:

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond

Post by Comrade Snarky »

I'm kind of excited for Colonial Marines, but I hate that they're saying it's picking up after Aliens and then the shit talking they did about Alien 3. Personally, I hated Aliens and I think James Cameron is no better than Michael Mann is. The Assembly Cut that attempted to recreate Alien 3 from David Fincher's original cut before he was fired is a far better film than Aliens. Aliens is just so far out of place with every other movie in the series. If you want to talk about the game having weak xenomorphs, then that's Cameron's fault with Aliens. The thing was damn near invincible in Alien but then in Aliens there were millions of them and they just popped like bugs.

Logic
core

Post by Logic »

I don't think the hive mentality bugs me as much as the overall nerfing.
I'm generally used to Bug-like enemies in general being weak, but dangerous in larger groups.

The problem is that so far CM has one but not the other. Aliens are weak, but you know when they are coming and only one of a few of them get you at a time. With a standard rifle that has 99 rounds per clip, this is not scary at all. It seems no one has figured out how to do a proper Aliens game since AVP2 in the early 2000's.

They're focusing so much on standardizing gameplay with their other titles or on graphics that they are boning everything else. Aliens games should be punishing for those who are not aware/playing it COD style. If the Aliens are weak then they should be at every convenient place imaginable ready to harass the player. If the enemies are moderate then they should be ready to harass at the very least near important objectives. If the Enemies are difficult then they should be stalking the player the entire game, making it a living nightmare. The movies were suspenseful. Why no one has managed to realize this is baffling.

Facing 1-6 weak enemies is not scary.
Facing 1-6 moderate enemies may be a challenge
Facing 1-6+ difficult enemies is gripping.

If you can't make them strong or are going to take away abilities at least compensate them for it. Yes I want to have fun with the game, but blasting guns first through and Aliens game is not my idea of fun.
Freedoms:

MrSega

Post by MrSega »

Comrade Snarky wrote:I'm kind of excited for Colonial Marines, but I hate that they're saying it's picking up after Aliens and then the shit talking they did about Alien 3. Personally, I hated Aliens and I think James Cameron is no better than Michael Mann is. The Assembly Cut that attempted to recreate Alien 3 from David Fincher's original cut before he was fired is a far better film than Aliens. Aliens is just so far out of place with every other movie in the series. If you want to talk about the game having weak xenomorphs, then that's Cameron's fault with Aliens. The thing was damn near invincible in Alien but then in Aliens there were millions of them and they just popped like bugs.
You should be. The game took 4 YEARS to develop. That is the longest duration of time and budget for any other SEGA game.