Recent Dreamshell Disc,+microSD reader asking questions

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tripletopper
blackout!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Alien Front Online
Chu Chu Rocket
Maximum Pool
Ooga Booga
Next Tetris
Sega Swirl
Worms World Party

Recent Dreamshell Disc,+microSD reader asking questions

Post by tripletopper »

Hello. Recent purchaser of Dreamshell.

When I tried to put ROMs on a microSD card I tried two different extremes I tried my 512 GB micro SDXC card, (I understand there are three different standards of SD cards there's SD vanilla, which is up to 2 GB, SDHC which is 4 to 32 GB, and SDXC which is 64 GB to 2 TB. ) The other extreme I tried was a 2 GB full size SD vanilla card. Neither seem to be able to read the games well. Am I doing it wrong or do I need specifically an SDHC card?

Is there a way you could hook up the Sega serial port to something like a SATA hard drive without dismantling the GD ROM drive? I have a spare one terabyte drive that could hook up to a Dreamcast. By the way those mini SATA loafers don't work for my large SATA hard drive

When people complain that SD cards are slow, are they usually just using non name brand SD cards. For example if I buy a SanDisk micro SD card from B&h photo or from BJ's wholesale club or from Best buy is it more likely to play the Full GD versions of the games at the correct speed than if it were an eBay special?

Also is the only reason you need to flash the DreamShell on the SD drive is if you're planning to run dream shell directly off the SD card and planning to bypass the optical drive?

Also how does one run this? I assume the GD Drive will not be harmed if you just load a CDR of the dream shell just to load the dream shell operating system and then access the game through the SD card.

Also what format does my SD card have to be in. If it is ntsf, I might be unable to do it is I don't have a PC. But I do have a Macintosh and an Android.

I also tried flashing dream shell thinking I had to do that to run the ROMs I'm thinking if I run it directly off CDR it might work without having me to do anything special with the SD card.

Holsten
killer

Re: Recent Dreamshell Disc,+microSD reader asking questions

Post by Holsten »

Isn't dreamshell just generally not that great for playing retail games?
Holsten knallt am dollsten.