Finally, A Reality Check on the DC Controller

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.
Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, AFO, PBA, 4x4 Evo, IGP, Planet Ring and Max Pool

Finally, A Reality Check on the DC Controller

Post by Bob Dobbs »

I often wondered why all these so-called experts on YouTube always trashed the DC controller for lacking two joysticks. Like Shenmue, most of these have no sense of time or understanding the reality of what they cover. Most games never took real advantage of it at that time as explained in this aptly stated review.

https://youtu.be/Udpgko69ND8?si=5zN8rmST1OJZEl5B
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Errythan except Tetris o.0

Re: Finally, A Reality Check on the DC Controller

Post by mistamontiel »

Without knowing exactly the trash I will assume the genre of FPS

Shooters are always ass regardless every remote every controller. Why KB+M were made for them

Snake79
lithium

Post by Snake79 »

For its time the DC controller was okay, but it had some quirks. This was still relatively early for analogue controllers and not well refined. It was basically an evolution of the Saturn analogue controller with the addition of the VMU. Being critical because it doesn't have a second analogue stick is silly as they were not widely used at that time. Sony had released an update to the PS1 controller with dual analogue sticks in 97 but the Dreamcast was in development earlier than that for launch in Japan in 98. Had the Dremacast been around longer, it's possible we may have had a revision to the controller with dual analogue sticks.

The keyboard and mouse combo for FPS is the way to go as it has been tried and tested on PC.

While I could hold it or extended periods, having it narrow towards the base was not really comfortable on the wrists. The hard, convex analogue thumb stick could often be slippy despite the texture, and I never liked the d-pad. It was a disappointment coming from the excellent Saturn d-pad. The button layout and triggers were good though.

Years of refinement have seen many improvements to controller ergonomics with the wireless Xbox 360 controller being my personal favourite.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post by SMiTH »

I'm still a fan of the original dreamcast controller.
I've never had an issue with it.
Some of the newer controllers might be cool.
but, I don't really care to buy one.

For a wireless controller use the original ps1 dc controller adapter (total control) and the original logitech wireless ps2 controllers.
For a better controller for d pad and 6 button use the original saturn dc controller adapter (total control)
Then if you prefer an arcade stick you have several options with original and 3rd party dreamcast arcade sticks.
If none of that works for you, then there are so many other options you can go with as well.

either way an original dreamcast controller is a good controller.
the n64 controller sucks!
lol

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Errythan except Tetris o.0

Post by mistamontiel »

I despise the L3+R3 'button' trend; the butchering of analogs

b-b-but I rely on them for my Grind Turismos! My PS5 came with BF2042 alas I retired it

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: ChuChu Rocket!
Daytona USA
F355 Challenge
Quake III Arena
Racing Simulation 2
Worms World Party

Post by OlivusPrime »

Honestly its biggest flaw is the D-pad - it's bad enough that you pretty much need to get a different controller for any games that require it, which is quite damning after the fantastic Saturn D-pad.

Wildmage
shadow

Post by Wildmage »

Eh, the GameCube has two, but barely any of the games ever figured out how to use it at all, much less properly.

Maztr_0n
fire
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Nothing Just Yet... But Likely 4x4 Evo will be First!

Post by Maztr_0n »

sadly havent gotten to actually play the dreamcast with the controller yet, hoping to soon but i have fidgeted with it before and honestly its better than i thought, sure i would prefer 2 sticks and 2 additional buttons (be it shoulder buttons or 6 face buttons) i'm sure if the DC was around for longer it would have gotten a radical upgrade. But besides the VMU theres one thing nobody can deny about it... ANALOG TRIGGERS! That changed everything for racing games!
||| She/It ||| Another 365 days to completely waste..! |||

Maztr_0n
fire
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Nothing Just Yet... But Likely 4x4 Evo will be First!

Post by Maztr_0n »

Maztr_0n wrote:sadly havent gotten to actually play the dreamcast with the controller yet, hoping to soon but i have fidgeted with it before and honestly its better than i thought, sure i would prefer 2 sticks and 2 additional buttons (be it shoulder buttons or 6 face buttons) i'm sure if the DC was around for longer it would have gotten a radical upgrade. But besides the VMU theres one thing nobody can deny about it... ANALOG TRIGGERS! That changed everything for racing games!
okay i finally got a very nice one in the mail and i sat down with trail version of SA on the generator disc, no vmu yet but so far, better than expected!
||| She/It ||| Another 365 days to completely waste..! |||

Snake79
lithium

Post by Snake79 »

Maztr_0n wrote:
Maztr_0n wrote:sadly havent gotten to actually play the dreamcast with the controller yet, hoping to soon but i have fidgeted with it before and honestly its better than i thought, sure i would prefer 2 sticks and 2 additional buttons (be it shoulder buttons or 6 face buttons) i'm sure if the DC was around for longer it would have gotten a radical upgrade. But besides the VMU theres one thing nobody can deny about it... ANALOG TRIGGERS! That changed everything for racing games!
okay i finally got a very nice one in the mail and i sat down with trail version of SA on the generator disc, no vmu yet but so far, better than expected!
I think it also depends what you have used before the Dreamcast. For me coming from the Saturn, it was an evolution on the 3D pad so it felt relatively similar. If you have used more modern controllers and have come to the Dreamcast in the last few years it might feel a bit awkward. The triggers are good though, they sit a bit further back in the hand compared to most modern controllers and are comfortable to use. With the VMU in the controller, I think it is one of the most distinctive controller designs ever created.