Gunlord - "The Biggest Retro Game Launch Ever!"

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.
DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online
Quake 3 Arena

Re: Gunlord - "The Biggest Retro Game Launch Ever!"

Post by DCUltrapro »

oh yay I need to add this to my watch later, I'll check this out on my lunch, thanks Maz, is it a positive review? I can't help my curiosity lol
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Post by mazonemayu »

obviously he is, at one point he even say if released in the 90's it would've been a hit & I tend to agree with him.
in fact I think I might go for some Gunlord again roght now ;)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online
Quake 3 Arena

Post by DCUltrapro »

lol, I need to play it again soon, though its hard juggling capturing from my other systems and playing the games I want to just play for the hell of it
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

CD AGES
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: http://www.youtube.com/user/CDages

Post by CD AGES »

Well I just got the game today and I've been playing thru it. I know a few here also have the game so I have question. In the 2nd stage (which becomes horizontal shmup level) theres these what I'm assuming are spacecrafts that spawn randomly and disappear out of no where. This object doesn't seem to be an enemy, but its very freaking distracting. It even apears durng the boss battle of this stage. Its increadibly annoying! Does the Neo Geo port also have this? Anyone here know?
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

I don't know exactly what you are talking about, but there are videos of the neogeo version on youtube, and I don't think the second level differs in any way between the two versions. I would also say the second level is one of the least hard levels in my experience (wait till you get to the "mouth" boss at the end of level 5 or 6). There are fewer enemies on the top half of the screen compared to the bottom so if I want a simpler time of it, I spend most of the time in the top or the middle of the screen (then go towards the bottom during the big space craft with the four turrets part) and then for the boss, I stay almost exclusively above the line of where he shoots his big horizontal blast for the duration of the boss fight.

A crazy thing about gunlord is that almost the entire game minus the CDDA soundtrack is loaded into the DC's ram when the game starts. If you take the CD out during gameplay, you can still view all the cut scenes/intros/attract mode and play the levels with some glitched graphics, but the game doesn't crash or need to load an entire level before you play.

Actually, just popped the game into my cd-drive, and it looks like all the data and sound files (minus the music) are only around 6-7 megabytes.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post by CD AGES »

Well here's a sweet little update. This issue is def a bug for sure as it doesn't seem to be happening after going back to reproduce it. I don't what's triggering it, yet, but I will keep trying to reproduce this issue. Trust me the result of this is annoying and while stage 2 is not a real hard level (yes all your tips are pretty spot on, how I originally beat the level), this bug def fucks shit up (this aircraft overlaps so much oscreen and the way its spwans in n out of the screen is distracting beyond belief!).
Now that you mention it, that's another part of the game that bothers me.. why doesn't the music loop proplerly. You'd think that because the game promotes exploration and goin thru some of the levels at you own pace, they'd make the music loop properly during slightly long durations of playtime. Another damn issue is when you die in the first stage after the music changes into that slow and somber remix, when you die the song reverts to the original track even though you don't respawn back to the start, it makes no sense!
Oh, and btw dark, you were right about the games packaging, the case feels of very cheap quality! Nowhere near as good as Fast Striker release back in 2011!
I'm not shitting on the game jsut to hate, I'm actually finding it rather fun! But a lot of these issue cannot be ignored!

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post by CD AGES »

Actually, just popped the game into my cd-drive, and it looks like all the data and sound files (minus the music) are only around 6-7 megabytes.
I'd believe it. The game isn't really anything technically impressive (by Neo Geo standards of course).

dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

I expected it to take up a little more space. There is a lot of diversity in the artwork, each of the levels has plenty of unique graphics (imo if they had the time or effort, I think they easily could have gotten away with making 2 levels per each tileset, a la the sonic the hedgehog series, doubling the length of the game - although what am I talking about, I can barely make it past the halfway point currently :lol: )

I've never wanted to do this for other platformers or shooting games, but I prefer using the joystick over the d-pad for Gunlord. It makes it much easier to swirl in a circular manner and jump and shoot diagonally at the same time. Usually I want the precision of a D-pad, but I find myself playing better and not getting hit as much by off screen monsters if I keep holding down the shooting button and move with smooth circular movements of the joystick.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

CD AGES wrote: I'm not shitting on the game jsut to hate, I'm actually finding it rather fun! But a lot of these issue cannot be ignored!

Agreed, it's fun and I like the game. Though have you gone into bomb wheel mode and pressed up at the same time yet :D Overlooking the effect of that was kind of a blunder imo.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post by CD AGES »

I do like the case artwork, and the design of the case.
Oh def! The artwork is all fine and dandy (good stuff even on the artworks CDs). I'm taliking about the quality of the actual DVD case. It just feels real cheap is all especially when compared to Fast Striker.

Looks like I stumbled into another bug in Stage 2! It appears sometimes enemy bullets won't scroll away from the sceen and just get stuck somewhere on the playfield. I though that perhaps the bullet would be inactive, I was wrong lol! As approaching it killed my ship. Afterwards it did dissappear.

Looks like this game didn't get much attention in the QA dept :?