Shenmue Passport Is Back Online!!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

OpossumQueen
shadow

Re: Shenmue Passport Is Back Online!!

Post by OpossumQueen »

Robfozz wrote:
jial wrote:Can you try again robfozz?

Server connection was down
Still just loading endlessly for me.
Were you ever able to get it back up? Mine connected just fine very recently, but when I flashed my DC to connect with a new PSO serial, Shenmue Passport stopped connecting, just the same as you--it doesn't attempt for more than a second or two before saying it won't work, but everything else is fine. Since flashing my memory initially is what started this problem I can't imagine that'll fix it, but I'm trying to figure out what else could possibly be the solution aside from just trying with a new save.

jial
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online
Chu Chu Rocket
Worms World Party
Quake 3 Arena
Toy Racer

Post by jial »

Do you show you some error message? Flashing memory shouldn't produce that problem, but I will test the server to see if is the website down

OpossumQueen
shadow

Post by OpossumQueen »

jial wrote:Do you show you some error message? Flashing memory shouldn't produce that problem, but I will test the server to see if is the website down
Yeah, it's the same thing--it tries to dial for just a second, and then says "Could not connect to the access point. The line may be jammed, engaged or your telephone line may be disconnected." I was able to access it the day before I flashed my DC and it hasn't worked since, but all other online games as well as planetweb still work fine.

As a test, I loaded up my save, put in a different VMU, and then saved it to there (hoping that a freshly-created file might work even if it wasn't a new game), but that didn't do it. Following some recs in this thread, I flashed my DC again and then as soon as I set up the internet setting in planetweb 2 I went straight to the shenmue passport, but it does the same thing.

For my final test, I just created a new game on a different vmu entirely from scratch, made a save after the opening cutscene, and loaded up the passport, but it still did the same thing, so it doesn't even seem like the save file is the issue. I can't say for certain that flashing the DC caused the initial problem, but I downloaded some Goodies animations just on the 5th, so it was working then--I flashed my DC on the seventh, and the next time I tried the Passport was yesterday when I had this issue. Again, other games and browsers work online, and it doesn't even try to connect for more than a second before giving up, but reflashing, new save, and new vmu all failed to fix it somehow, so I'm kinda at a loss!

OpossumQueen
shadow

Post by OpossumQueen »

And for the record, I'm playing off of an NTSC GD disc. Is there any chance it's a similar issue to this? Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... =3&t=16765

jial
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online
Chu Chu Rocket
Worms World Party
Quake 3 Arena
Toy Racer

Post by jial »

Have you try to reinstall dreampi image? Seems a dreampi issue. Do you try with other games like Sonic adventure or jet set radio?

OpossumQueen
shadow

Post by OpossumQueen »

jial wrote:Have you try to reinstall dreampi image? Seems a dreampi issue. Do you try with other games like Sonic adventure or jet set radio?
I'll try that tonight or tomorrow, but again everything else is working--I got onto both PSO online mode and Sonic Adventure 1's website (through the SA1 disc browser) last night though, so I don't really think that's the solution, especially since robfuzz also mentioned that he reflashed his pi when he was having the same issue and that it didn't solve it--the things is, like we both mentioned, it only tries to connect for a second before saying the phone line is jammed. Before I got the pi setup, it would spend quite awhile trying to connect before giving a different message that the network settings weren't set up or something like that, and once I got the pi (up until about a week ago) it would spend 30 sec or so dialing before connecting, so it seems like the passport isn't actually trying to dial before sending back the message that it's jammed?

Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Post by Xiden »

OpossumQueen wrote:
jial wrote:Have you try to reinstall dreampi image? Seems a dreampi issue. Do you try with other games like Sonic adventure or jet set radio?
I'll try that tonight or tomorrow, but again everything else is working--I got onto both PSO online mode and Sonic Adventure 1's website (through the SA1 disc browser) last night though, so I don't really think that's the solution, especially since robfuzz also mentioned that he reflashed his pi when he was having the same issue and that it didn't solve it--the things is, like we both mentioned, it only tries to connect for a second before saying the phone line is jammed. Before I got the pi setup, it would spend quite awhile trying to connect before giving a different message that the network settings weren't set up or something like that, and once I got the pi (up until about a week ago) it would spend 30 sec or so dialing before connecting, so it seems like the passport isn't actually trying to dial before sending back the message that it's jammed?
I had an issue like this awhile back, the only way I fixed it was to erase my Dreamcast flash memory. This will erase pso and isp settings so keep that in mins before using. https://dreamcast.wiki/Flash_Memory_Eraser

I did verify shenmue passport is up and running eariler today though

OpossumQueen
shadow

Post by OpossumQueen »

Xiden wrote:
I had an issue like this awhile back, the only way I fixed it was to erase my Dreamcast flash memory. This will erase pso and isp settings so keep that in mins before using. https://dreamcast.wiki/Flash_Memory_Eraser

Unfortunately, I did try that already--it was working two weeks ago before I flashed the memory for a PSO serial, and since then it's been giving me this problem. I flashed it since as per this threads instructions and after setting up isp through planetweb 2 I went straight to shenmue passport, with the same result

Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Post by Xiden »

OpossumQueen wrote:
Xiden wrote:

Unfortunately, I did try that already--it was working two weeks ago before I flashed the memory for a PSO serial, and since then it's been giving me this problem. I flashed it since as per this threads instructions and after setting up isp through planetweb 2 I went straight to shenmue passport, with the same result
Are you using a cdi rip of the game? Also could you try uisng XDP browser to setup instead of planet web?

OpossumQueen
shadow

Post by OpossumQueen »

Xiden wrote:
OpossumQueen wrote:
Xiden wrote:

Are you using a cdi rip of the game? Also could you try uisng XDP browser to setup instead of planet web?
Sorry to be clear I did use XDP custom planetweb, and I'm running the game off an actual GD--nothing changed other than me flashing the memory (and setting the isp settings back up the same way) since when it was last working for me ten days ago so idk! It wouldn't work with a new save on a new vmu either, before or after reflashing it again