Tahi - The Arocean War (9-9-09)

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Re: Tahi - The Arocean War (9-9-09)

Post by mazonemayu »

cause back then internet wasn't as widely spread as it is now, & online games merely had a frew 1000 or 10000 players

back in 1999 I knew of only 1 or maybe 2 paople who even had broadband
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Post by Dr. Pariolo »

mazonemayu wrote:cause back then internet wasn't as widely spread as it is now, & online games merely had a frew 1000 or 10000 players

back in 1999 I knew of only 1 or maybe 2 paople who even had broadband
Yeah thats another point. And think you are speaking in american numbers. I in europe, when i had dial up in 2000, i was one of very few xD. Sad but true yeah

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post by mazonemayu »

actually I was speaking in european numbers :mrgreen: I'm from belgium myself
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit:

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, AFO, PBA, 4x4 Evo, IGP, Planet Ring and Max Pool

Post by Bob Dobbs »

Well, Shenmue is the one that sticks out for me due to the balance between music score, visual detail and most of all, a good story with the ability to speak and play within in. I'm not the kind of guy who just gets involved with the pretty effects like in the movies where the script is missing, but "did you see the special effects, dude"...not my style (example: I like Star Trek TV series over Star Trek - TNG or any other...better scripts).

I hope this helps, but others before me said it better.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Jaseman
Prince of Persia
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None yet!

Post by Jaseman »

RETICON wrote:Thank you folks!

Great suggestions thus far.

It will definitely have our own feel that is for sure, I've been carefully planning out the layouts, feel, controls and plot very, very carefully.

It will have an open feeling to it, kind of like Elder Scrolls - Morrowind, however not too open. It would best be described as if Zelda Ocarina of Time met Morrowind in exploration standards.

So you would be able to explore most places but not all.

Also, just as a heads up, I will be online in the chat room here in the forums, beginning at 10pm Pacific Time if anyone has any questions or comments, hop on in and ask away!

- Frank

The day I heard of the Dreamcast I wished it had Morrowind (I heard about the DC in 02). This looks awesome. I'll buy it, if I have the money.

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Post by Dr. Pariolo »

mazonemayu wrote:actually I was speaking in european numbers :mrgreen: I'm from belgium myself
Doh! I had no idea. Well, we made our point :mrgreen:

RETICON
Developer

Post by RETICON »

Wow!

All of this talk in regards to online has us rethinking our plan slightly, maybe we may release it as a straight to online adventure.

Here is what my plan would be if that was the case.

Since the majority of Dreamcasts out right now have the dial up modem (correct me if I am wrong in regards to this). If this is the case, the best way to connect in modern day would be to take the dial up line from the dreamcast and connect it to a PC in which the PC would be a gateway to the broadband or cable/T1/T3 connection. So if we were to make an online game, (IF we can at this point since there is basically no knowledge online or anywhere else on how to do this), it would have to come with a secondary CD which would allow some software to install on your PC to open a communication bridge from the Dreamcast to the PC.

What do you guys think, would this make it easier for you?

Again, I stress that doing an online feature would be going in completely unexplored territory for us and may take a long time if we do a first release simply online but the replay value of making it online would be BOUDNLESS, I mean, just look at Phantasy Star Online, it has been ten years and people are still playing it and having FUN!

So as of right now, we're still aiming for the RPG but with all of this online talk we may rethink our plan, it's still early enough in development to do so. I'll talk to my other programmers this week and see what may need to be done. =)

Thanks guys!
Frank

cOcOoO
Ore hitori de, juubun da
Dreamcast Games you play Online: pso and quake 3

Post by cOcOoO »

That'd be the SHIT! I mean, no new games have the online features, you'd enter the DC hall of fame with this... and yes, the second disc would be another great idea.

Cheers up m8
(>'-')>=|======> t('.'t)

ImageImageImage
PSO char:
Alegrina!
Lvl. 44
HUnewearl
REDRIA

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post by mazonemayu »

problem is that with the phone modem, that it requires win xp or lower to set up a pc-dc server (so the dc will run online through the pc), a lot of folks (myself included) don't have that anymore & i'm pretty sure they aren't gonna format their new vista/7 machines for the sole purpose of playing a dc game online.
I'm not sure (as I can only speak for myself) but don't the majority of dc online players have bba's?

or won't you guys be able to make it run on both the phonemodem & the bba (like its still the case with pso & quake3)

anyway, I'm (& I'm sure I'm not the only one) pleased & surprised that you're even willing to consider making this an online game. it would of course be the dc's supreme victory, that even in death there's new stuff released for it that even works online :lol: :lol:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit:

Jaseman
Prince of Persia
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None yet!

Post by Jaseman »

Don't get too exited guys -- I somehow don't see any online features possible without some kind of SDK ... You could reverse engineer Phantasy Star Online's method of getting online--you want Crono for that--and that might work.

I am pretty sure that online features will not make it into the final game, or it's sequel. I am not being pessimistic, just realistic.

Sorry if this made anyone mad :oops: