Tahi - The Arocean War (9-9-09)

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.
Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Barrys_Bapz
killer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Shenmue

Re: Tahi - The Arocean War (9-9-09)

Post by Barrys_Bapz »

The indie scene for the Dreamcast is fairly basic with 2-D graphics and nice package I'd just like to see a company that takes the scene a bit further with the quality of the end product. there's a couple games coming soon that are looking very interesting, and hopefully there is some more half-life mods coming soon.
THIS IS HOW IT ALWAYS ENDS

cOcOoO
Ore hitori de, juubun da
Dreamcast Games you play Online: pso and quake 3

Post by cOcOoO »

There are 2 half life "mods" that are going to be released by override pretty soon

Half-life (i don't know if it will have another name): optimized version. Changed textures from BMP to PVR, making it smaller and loadings FASTER

Half-life 1.5: same as above, but with new skins for the weapons and the soundtrack from half-life 2
(>'-')>=|======> t('.'t)

ImageImageImage
PSO char:
Alegrina!
Lvl. 44
HUnewearl
REDRIA

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Post by Dr. Pariolo »

Barrys_Bapz wrote: I'd love to see that brought to the Dreamcast at this stage but I think if the company focuses too much on the online side it will forget about the story of the game if this series is a success off-line and it catches the eyes of the media
I think its normal nowadays companies focuses on the online part of the games. When it comes to mmorpgs, the reason is obvious: monthly fee.

But in general, even if the game is free online, it just makes people play it over and over.

Speaking in concrete terms: best offline games ive ever played are shenmue and mass effect. I played shenmue twice, and the second time i played it is because i just got back a dreamcast. If i still had the original dreamcast, i seriously doubt i would have played it again. Mass effect, played once.

Re-playing offline games is like re-reading books, theres not the half of the excitement, when you know perfectly whats gonna happen on the next page.

Instead, within an online game, every party is a different story. When every character is played by a human being, and every of its action has consequences on the game.

Best online games ive played: pso. I have never completed it not even once offline. I keep playing it online 9 years after its release.
Gears Of War 2: played the campaign offline, because the first day i had it none of my friend who had it were online.
On the other hand, i play it online almost everyday i play.

I agree adventures/rpg games NEEDS a GOOD storyline. Otherwise it would be like nowadays movies, with eye candy special effects and hot chicks but no story. Thats poor. But online fonctions is almost a most. And if we are speaking of a game thats gonna be on a console that has very limited active players, something as attractive as an online mode would attract people's attention.

That if the online functions both supports dial up and bba... Otherwise, its gonna make most people not being able to play it. I dont know anyone who can use both.
Last edited by Dr. Pariolo on Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barrys_Bapz
killer

Post by Barrys_Bapz »

That is good news I can't wait, are the mods going to be free of charge?

does anyone have a link of all the half life mods? they are getting a bit hard to find

Dr. Pariolo

Post by Dr. Pariolo »

Barrys_Bapz wrote:That is good news I can't wait, are the mods going to be free of charge?

does anyone have a link of all the half life mods? they are getting a bit hard to find
Theres a couple at dcisozone:
http://dcisozone.com/downloads/1489/Hal ... anoia.html
http://dcisozone.com/downloads/1490/Hal ... unger.html
http://dcisozone.com/downloads/1491/Hal ... k-Ops.html

Barrys_Bapz
killer

Post by Barrys_Bapz »

That does sound great making a Dreamcast game to go online in 2010 would be a dream but it's early days yet

Barrys_Bapz
killer

Post by Barrys_Bapz »

Thanks for the links

Dr. Pariolo

Post by Dr. Pariolo »

Barrys_Bapz wrote:Thanks for the links
You are welcome. But maybe you should search for updated versions, they may exist. As for the "paranoia" one, im pretty sure ive seen a long time ago somewhere it was at final stage. At least the PC version, i dont know if that also applies to the dreamcast port. The one posted on dcisozone is beta.

Dihnekis
Quad Damage
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO
Quake III
Starlancer

Post by Dihnekis »

I think Override is going to be adding save support to all the Half life mods, vastly improving them in my opinion. I'm waiting to burn them until then.

And I would be extremely interested in a new online game coming out for dreamcast. I'm curious why it hasn't been done yet!

Dr. Pariolo

Post by Dr. Pariolo »

Dihnekis wrote: And I would be extremely interested in a new online game coming out for dreamcast. I'm curious why it hasn't been done yet!
Because its incredibly hard. On pc its hard enough already, in despite of all the tools floating around, like for instance, the new free sdk unreal has released, UDK. Yet with that, they arent that many homebrew games, that are worth playing i mean.

And theres no sdk for dreamcast(correct me if im wrong). So making anything compatible with its hardware is some piece of work you got in front of you, and you start from scratch. And from what ive heard, the fact is that the hardest hardware to make homebrew application compatible with is the bba. So thats why there hasnt been any internet compatible homebrew game made so far.