Dreamcast Games Translation - Megathread

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

gilvan666
lithium
Dreamcast Games you play Online: QUAKE III ARENA, UNREAL TOURNAMENT.

Re: Dreamcast Games Translation - Megathread

Post by gilvan666 »

Hi guys, I'm translating MK4 gold to PT_BR, but I stopped in a big problem, the texts of 1st_read.bin didn't find the pointers of the texts, could someone help?
example:
Press Start
Aperte Start
the translation is longer than the original text.
Dreamcast NTSC, MOD BIOS, MOD VGA, MOD IDE.

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

gilvan666 wrote:big problem, the texts of 1st_read.bin didn't find the pointers of the texts, could someone help?
example
find text "PRESS START", offset in HEX 0x30d154
add to offset 0x8C010000 (base adress in RAM for 1ST_READ) 0x30d154+0x8C010000=0x8C31D154
find all value 0x54D1318C in little endian and replace

gilvan666
lithium

Post by gilvan666 »

megavolt85 wrote:
gilvan666 wrote:big problem, the texts of 1st_read.bin didn't find the pointers of the texts, could someone help?
example
find text "PRESS START", offset in HEX 0x30d154
add to offset 0x8C010000 (base adress in RAM for 1ST_READ) 0x30d154+0x8C010000=0x8C31D154
find all value 0x54D1318C in little endian and replace
Thank you very much for replying.
I will try to modify the text as you said.
Text starts at Offset 0x169FFC + RAM value 0x8C010000 = 0x8C179FFC.
Little edian = FC9F178C am I right?
Do you doubt that base RAM value is the same for all Dreamcast games?

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

gilvan666 wrote: Text starts at Offset 0x169FFC + RAM value 0x8C010000 = 0x8C179FFC.
yep
gilvan666 wrote:Do you doubt that base RAM value is the same for all Dreamcast games?
some games use 0x0c010000
there are games that have a fixed text length
there are games that use a pointer to the beginning of the text and a table of offsets

gilvan666
lithium

Post by gilvan666 »

megavolt85 wrote:
gilvan666 wrote: Text starts at Offset 0x169FFC + RAM value 0x8C010000 = 0x8C179FFC.
yep
gilvan666 wrote:Do you doubt that base RAM value is the same for all Dreamcast games?
some games use 0x0c010000
there are games that have a fixed text length
there are games that use a pointer to the beginning of the text and a table of offsets
Perfect it worked, now it's trying to automate the editing of the pointers. Thank you very much megavolt85.

streeker
fragger

Post by streeker »

SnowyAria wrote:So Mr. Nobody and I have been working on a short translation for "Former Managing Director Yukawa's Treasure Hunt" (Yukawa Moto Senmu no Otakara Sagashi)! It happens to support a nice font out of the box and has overall been fairly simple text-wise. I attached a preview image of the translation below. All text is translated and inserted.

The one downside is that the images appear to be compressed and we haven't had any luck trying to pull them out. So we wanted to ask here if anyone might be able to help us out! The game itself is only two files, so any images are embedded in the data itself. We can do the editing of the images themselves, we just need help getting them out and back in. There's not too many images that need to be done, mostly the title screen, Yes/No/Okay/Cancel buttons, and a "remaining action points" message when playing the game.

If you can help out, feel free to message me here or over at our translation discord here - https://discord.gg/bewGNtm

Thanks! :D

Looks like this translation has been released :)
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6507/

colgate
Doom
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO

Post by colgate »

I always wanted to play this game as it is a piece of DC's history, glad to be able now, kudos to the group.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Elias
noob

Post by Elias »

Hi all. Above in the topic there is a screenshot of the game with the translation "Panzer Front" where you can see how the program is used "GSMT - generic sjis manipulation tools". Can anyone tell me more about her? Thank you in advance.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post by dubcity »

How are everyone's translations coming along? Panzer Front has released. We got surprise releases of Chaos Field, Radirgy and Yukawa's Treasure Hunt. I know Rent-A-Hero and Nakaruru are close. What about everyone else?

vimiani
noob

Post by vimiani »

I've been working on a translation for the Berserk Dreamcast game (Japanese version), and I want to repack the game to .cdi format for play on real hardware. But when I do, everything is fine except for character models, which gain new very buggy animations. I have no idea why this happens, and it happens even with no modified textures (like in this image).
I am new at this and this is the only thing Dreamcast related I have worked on in any capacity, if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.