List of 60FPS Dreamcast Games

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Re: List of 60FPS Dreamcast Games

Post by segata sanshiro »

Crazy Taxi is 60fps almost all the time, the thing is that when there is a lot going on, the game slows down, the 'slow motion' is compensating to keep up the framerate, when frames drop the game becomes choppy, not slower. For example (out of my memory) Ecco, Omicron, they skip frames to keep up the speed of the game, CT slows down the game to keep the framerate... more or less, like SHMUPS (but in shmups is a blessing). Personally i think slowdown is more noticeable, but easier on the eyes and doesnt affect gameplay, on the other hand skipping frames makes the game look even faster and almost impossible to control.

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Here are some more:

The House Of The Dead 2
The Typing
Confidential Mission
Ikaruga
Zero Gunner 2
Sturmwind
Airforce Delta
Rent A Hero

Basically all NAOMI ports run at 60.

I think Suzuki Allstare is not 60 either, looks more like 40~45

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Update: Added E.G.G. Elemental Gimmick Gear, ESPN International Track & Field, and Floigan Bros.. I'm also now sorting by region and indie releases.
lastcallgames wrote:I've heard Toy Commander does
Just tested and it's actually 30fps.
segata sanshiro wrote:Here are some more:
Added! Thanks!
segata sanshiro wrote:I think Suzuki Allstare is not 60 either, looks more like 40~45
I don't own that one yet but I'll give it a test when I get a copy.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

CD AGES
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: http://www.youtube.com/user/CDages

Post by CD AGES »

Suzuki and Toy Commander most def DO NOT run at 60 FPS. They run at around 30FPS.

Crazy Taxi does run at 60 FPS, its just not locked in so it dips when it needs to to accomodatewhen too much is goin on onscreen.

Most Fighting games tend to run at 60FPS. Its usually a standard to genre considering the how frame dependant they can be at high level play so...
MK Gold
Project Justice
MvC2
SF III
FV 2
GGX
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

Aleron Ives
Outrun
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online
Phantasy Star Online Ver.2

Post by Aleron Ives »

There isn't really such a thing as being "locked" to 60 FPS. If the game tries to draw more on the screen than the hardware can handle, you're going to get slow motion. The only way to avoid slow motion (aside from designing your game within the limits of the system's hardware) is to aim for a lower frame rate when the scene gets too demanding. Dynamic FPS is used in pretty much all modern games, but older games are usually oblivious to how well they are running and just slow down. Choppy animation is generally more playable than slow motion (since it ruins your timing), so it's the standard now.

PSO only runs at 30 FPS, but it slows down all the time. :lol: Some game engines are more efficient than others.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

CD AGES
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: http://www.youtube.com/user/CDages

Post by CD AGES »

VOOT is def locked at 60FPS

Split screen multiplayer need not apply.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Thanks CD! I've added those fighting games and removed Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing.
PSO Characters:

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post by GameOverYeah »

I know Sega Rally slows down a lot but when it's running smoothly it certainly hits 60fps

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

GameOverYeah wrote:I know Sega Rally slows down a lot but when it's running smoothly it certainly hits 60fps
The Japanese version does that, thats why for the western release they capped the max framerate to 30 so the choppiness is not so obvious. I personally think the J release is better despite the frame oscillation between 60 and 10.
Choppy animation is generally more playable than slow motion (since it ruins your timing), so it's the standard now.
For me is the other way around (its a matter of taste i guess), in shmups if i get choppiness, enemy bullets flicker and teleport, making it much harder to dodge. Slowdown is kind of a cheat, like shooting with goPro at 120fps, then replaying at 30. In action games with dynamic camera movement is the same, if the framerate is jerky, they become unplayable.
For example in Ecco, the tunnel part with the fans, the framerate gets very bad... the air is running out, sharks are attacking, its dark and the game skips frames like crazy. On one frame i'm facing a shark, on the next i'm stuck into a dark corner, in the next i'm dead... i just wish it kept the 30fps at slow motion.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Added the Japanese version of Sega Rally 2, NBA 2K, NBA 2K1, NFL 2K, NFL 2K1, and NCAA 2K2.

Oddly enough, NHL 2K only runs at 30fps. Not sure about the sequels though.
PSO Characters: