Does Vonage work?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tripletopper
blackout!

Does Vonage work?

Post#1 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:46 pm

I got some people saying Voip only works for web browsing, and others saying Voip is a completely 100% compatible with Dial up. I've gotten mixed results.

On Maximum Pool, I was able to log in to a room with the pre-provided user name, but no one was online. I was able to set my DNS settings via Planet web to 46.101.91.123, but as soon as I used my original file, or changed the pre-provided name to one I want, it crashed.

On Alien Front Online, I was able to see my user name "Latari" and my record one time.

On Chu Chu Rocket, I've gotten what seems to be like a "no players present" error ( I forget hat it was exactly called).

I'm getting thrown off. Since long distance is no object, maybe I should use a Detroit dial in number, because I heard a Rhode Island voip Dreamcast user got a better connection fro California than Rhode Island. Maybe I should use the California service or a bigger city than a Michigan border town.

Also my internet is not that consistent, if somethibg like Xbox Live is using the internet I'm screwed. maybe I should turn off all downloads before I play Dreamcast.

Any other advice someone can give?

Xiden
Developer

Re: Does Vonage work?

Post#2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:44 pm

Voip only adds a huge layer of lag to your gameplay. If you have broadband, invest in a dreampi and save yourself the headache!

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#3 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:30 am

The only problem with Dreampi is I don't know how to build one, and there is no place for ready-made dreampis. It seems easier to use Vonage than DreamPi.

I notice the thing that helped most was a Modem Init code of "AT&T0", not the standard "AT&F0" I'm able to see my registered name from back in the day. Alien Front Online name "Latari" Next Tetris name "latare4atari" If I'm able to my wins and losses like I did one time with Alien Front online, does that mean I successfuly logged in and just didn't have an opponent to play?

Also I might have a broken Alien Front Online Disc. Recently, it gets to a connection speed of 46k - 48 k and then reboots. Do I have to sign up to the Dreamcast-Talk online servers, meaning my original back in the day Dreamcast account no longer works?

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:54 am

tripletopper wrote:The only problem with Dreampi is I don't know how to build one, and there is no place for ready-made dreampis. It seems easier to use Vonage than DreamPi.

dreamcastlive.net/shop my friend :) You might email PCWizard on his site to see when he's getting his stuff back in stock. Or I could even build you a dreampi kit too. I'd just charge for supplies + shipping. Trust me voip will make your games unplayable

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#5 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:12 pm

also trying dreamcasttive.net/shop o my Xbox One, but getting the "404 search engine page paid for by your DSL provider" page with possible search options. I'll try my Macintosh os 10.12.3 , and just wondering, is there any special set up you have to do to get it working with the network. Most of te talks are about PC. When it comes to computing, I'm like Ardian Monk and don't want to catch any PC germs, so I don't use Boot Camp for a PC operating system on my Macintosh.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#6 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:41 pm

I was going to look up buying a DreamPi, but the link doesn''t work. Can anyone tell me if I was able to get the the server and not find an opponent, or if it was in a Pre-connect state. Also, do I have to "unify" my Dreamcast identity and register with Dreamcast-Talk.com 's servers, or should my "Bac I The Day" Dreamcast save files work, because I was "latari" on Alien front Onine, and "latare4atari" on Next Tetris, those were the 2 games I was able to log in. Alien Front one time put me in the room where i can see my wins and losses, and Next tetris ha a disconnect problam after I saw my online identity. My main question is , "Can I use my original Dreamcast identities, or must I register my identity with the modern servers of the Dreamcast? If that's the case, then Vonage might work.

Xiden
Developer

Post#7 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:28 pm

you had a typo in your link its dreamcastlive.net/shop not dreamcasttlive.net/shop :)

dreamcast-news
Prince of Persia

Post#8 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:00 am

There are also Dreampi for sale here : Dreampi RTU for sale. It may be simpler and faster for Europeans.
For french you have the Dreampi A to Z.
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -