How to connect dreamcast?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
skaredmask
noob

How to connect dreamcast?

Post#1 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:09 am

Hay guys my frist post here and it's late so sorry ahead of time for spelling errors or funny sentance stuctor....lol

K I have DSL and I was wondering if I had to connect the dreamcast to the pc for internet or can I use a phone jack?

I'm also wondering how to earse the internal memory on the dreamcast. I bought a used one after mine acted really funny and it has all the pervious owners information on it (like all his conntection information).

I really need to learn more about how to play PSO (ver2.0 US) through computer conection if I have to use my computer for the connection. Thanks for everone's time.

Skaredmask

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Re: How to connect dreamcast?

Post#2 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:16 am

you have DSL so you might get free dial up. call your DSL provider and ask if you get dial up as part of your internet package. if you do you can use it to connect your dreamcast. as for erasing hte internal memory? you can erase it with planet web 1.0. i forget the exact buttons to press but someone else might remember. if not ill see if i can figure it out again.

skaredmask wrote: I really need to learn more about how to play PSO (ver2.0 US) through computer conection if I have to use my computer for the connection. Thanks for everone's time
the US version 2 is no longer online. you can how ever use the US v1 and if you want to play v2 you can use the PAL version.

skaredmask
noob

Post#3 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Hay again I called my ISP and they said I could not use dial-up because my DSL is useing my phone number. So I have to use my computer I found a example on how to do this at

http://www.maturion.de/dreamcast/mterlouw/

I'm goning to try it out but if you have any input please post and thanks again.

Skaredmask

max4242
dirty sailor

Post#4 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:06 pm

skaredmask wrote:Hay again I called my ISP and they said I could not use dial-up because my DSL is useing my phone number. So I have to use my computer I found a example on how to do this at

http://www.maturion.de/dreamcast/mterlouw/

I'm goning to try it out but if you have any input please post and thanks again.

Skaredmask

Not many people have much success with that
Pso- max (schthack)
4x4- max4242
Quake 3 - maxkill42
Starlancer - maxkill

PM any time you want to play!

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#5 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:33 pm

skaredmask wrote:Hay again I called my ISP and they said I could not use dial-up because my DSL is useing my phone number.
this is crazy. i never seen a DSL line that prevents phone use. when i had DSL i could make phone calls while my computer was connected to the internet, hence being able to use dial up and DSL internet at the same time. what service do you have? and there is no reason you couldn't use dial up! even if it means not being able to use the DSL line at the same time.

i have a PC-DC server set up right now. if you can't use dial up then it is your best bet. its not easy to set up and the easiest OS to use it windows 98.

K_I_R_E_E_K

Post#6 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:40 pm

I had the same problem, making a call using the telephone would disconnect my computer, however i had something similar to this:

Since dial up is basicly the same as a phone call then i could use both at the same time, however i needed to have that "double microfilter" to assure that.

skaredmask
noob

Post#7 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:59 pm

Thanks for your Posts!!!

what service do you have?

Verizion

i have a PC-DC server set up right now. if you can't use dial up then it is your best bet. its not easy to set up and the easiest OS to use it windows 98.

luckly for me me I have actrual win95/98/XP/vista CD and a old school computer since most win95/98 games dont like XP/Vista

Thanks and keep them coming
Skaredmask

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#8 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:44 pm

sounds like you have the big stuff taken care of. now all you need is a line voltage simulator or a model A dreamcast modem. and maybe an external PC dial up modem.

for my set up i use an internal PC modem. this works with out a line voltage simulator too. having the model 670-14140A Dreamcast modem is key in my set up. when i try using it with the 670-14140B modems it will not connect.