Raspberry Pi PC-DC Server

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: My PC-DC Setup

Post#11 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:34 pm

^

Gumbo
lithium

Post#12 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Igor Isaias Banlian wrote:Gumbo, you could provide us a copy of your SD card, with the entire system ready? I also have a Raspberry Pi and would like to test it! :mrgreen:

Your system only works with the model of USB modem you mentioned, or works with any USB modem model? :geek:

Sorry for my bad english! :oops:

Regards,
Igor Isaias Banlian

Hey thanks for your interest, I have made an SD image that you can download from this link
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pi2dc/

Look through the README and make sure you have all the requirements, Its only been tested with WiFi and the USRobotics USR5637 Fax modem, But may work with other modems.

Gumbo
lithium

Post#13 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:25 pm

--- UPDATE 1 25/01/2015 ---
Added dial-tone generation to the answer script, It will generate a 4 second dial-tone before answering the call. This is for games that don't support blind dial, I have tested it on a few games and it works perfectly well, Due to adding the dial tone timing is quite strict (especially with Max Pool), but basically just press the button (or run the script) a split second before press the connect button on the Dreamcast.
Once again, this has only been tested on a USRobotics USR5637 USB Modem.

If you wish, instead of downloading the new SD img, you can just replace the answer.sh in the edit folder with the new one available at sourceforge.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pi2dc/files/

Gumbo.

Favrenation
Outrun

Re: Raspberry Pi PC-DC Server

Post#14 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:00 am

This is pretty sweet. I thought this might work but I didn't know if the modems would work well with the arm processor. I'm assuming the modem you are using is a hardware one? I have a hard usb rosewill with similar size that I might try out. Is the pushbutton just attached to a GPIO pin?
PS2 Online Gaming

Gumbo
lithium

Post#15 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:29 pm

Favrenation wrote:This is pretty sweet. I thought this might work but I didn't know if the modems would work well with the arm processor. I'm assuming the modem you are using is a hardware one? I have a hard usb rosewill with similar size that I might try out. Is the pushbutton just attached to a GPIO pin?

It is indeed a hard modem, in theory when you attach it to the pi it should give it the device name ttyACM0, which is good cause that's what the image is set up for, Just read the readme and you will find out more info about the button and the config files, but yeah, the button is attached to pins 5 and 6 of the gpio, but that can be changed to any pin in the python file found in the "edit" folder of the boot partition.

Gumbo.

dude2207
lithium

Post#16 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Looks nice, might try it.
EDIT:
Is it possible to use the PI's ethernet instead of a wi-fi adapter?

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#17 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:43 pm

I would assume it so. Pretty sure its just a regular pc-dc server setup with some scripts and voodoo magic ;). Can't remember off the top of my head if the setup actually references to a specific network port but if it does you would need to switch it to eth0 or something similar. Otherwise it might just work as is.
PS2 Online Gaming

uglybuddy6
lithium

Post#18 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Just curious can any USB modem work? I have a zoom 3095. I am must interested if it can make a dial tone. How would one go about changing the file to use ethernet instead of wifi. Keep up the good work this is very cool!

Gumbo
lithium

Post#19 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:08 pm

dude2207 wrote:Looks nice, might try it.
EDIT:
Is it possible to use the PI's ethernet instead of a wi-fi adapter?

I'm not 100% sure if it will work out of the box, but i cant see no reason, i don't think I've set it to only use wifi.

uglybuddy6 wrote:Just curious can any USB modem work? I have a zoom 3095. I am must interested if it can make a dial tone. How would one go about changing the file to use Ethernet instead of wifi. Keep up the good work this is very cool!

Unfortunately, not any usb modem will work, I have tried with 3 different modems, Hardware modems will work, but are more expensive, and soft modems would work.. if there was any drivers available for ARM devices, I have attempted to contact a couple of different company's regarding ARM based drivers but had no response, so I'm not counting on anything to appear any-time soon.

TacT
Uber

Post#20 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:39 pm

That's great to hear about the dial tone I was wondering about that for a while. I knew there was a command to generate a tone over the modem but only certain modems supported it.

Would you ever consider making and selling these as devices in the near future? For all those people out there that want to get back online but can't use a dedicated computer or find a netopia or similar device setup is too costly! This little thing couldn't be too expensive right?

If I knew how to make them with the right instructions =) I could help assemble some of them if I could get all the right parts. I don't know much about little boards like that.
Even I have a good bunch of friends that say they would love to play it back online with me but they have no way to get dialup =;( .

Edit
Looking more into it this seems pretty simple to make once i have a little extra money i might try it out. =)

it's still thinking.