Dream in the Dark (New Port)

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

krssn
Metallic

Re: Dream in the Dark (New Port)

Post#11 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:13 am

First view!... :D

And liked...

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:39 am

Looks pretty good!

Corbyn
Developer

Post#13 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:22 pm

Thanks, glad you guys are enjoying it so far. I know the second part doesn't look promising, but the first game is miles ahead of Alone 2 anyways, and that's what counts right now.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#14 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:24 am

Keep up the great work old friend, You are great at porting things. Looking forward to the final product! :mrgreen:

Corbyn
Developer

Post#15 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:38 pm

I've made some minor progress porting Alone in the Dark 3, but they made so many engine enhancements (read: bug fixes) between Alone2 that it's in shambles currently. I can't get it to read LISTBODY correctly, so the models don't show up, but I've had minor success with the cameras debugging properly. The only way to get it to read was mirroring the Alone2 data structs and loading the same pak files, so that's probably what happened. There was hardly ANY work done to load it independently...it's a miracle it even runs in the first place. I was scratching my head for hours yesterday trying to figure out the algorithm that was used to load the other two games (seriously, it's a C-ified disassemble), so much that I was punching random numbers in to the StartGame module, but it seems it can read off of Alone 2 combination (why wasn't this done before? hmmm)

I've gotten the Alone II menu sort of working but it reads off of the Alone1 ITD file, but it looks OK I think. Still no listings but at least we have graphics here, I'll upload a shot in a bit.

Also, unfortunately it seems only the English version of Alone 1 will work - the French/etc versions read the wrong music, and are more prone to crashing, and you can't even make it past the introduction sequence. I still have no idea why this is (maybe internal data pointers were changes for the fonts, etc). I've also had trouble rendering the "TATAOU" in the beginning (the Infogrames logo morphs into a 3d Render) but I don't think anyone cares much about that.

I've been toying with the idea of porting this game, along with the model format that was decoded, to an empty Quake engine just so everything is organized and read in-order, but I probably won't ever have time to do that.

atreyu187
brutal

Post#16 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Simply amazing is all I can say and a VERY welcomed addition to the DC library.

krssn
Metallic

Post#17 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:33 pm

I could say I only understood half of what you said, but I would be lying.

I barely understood anything you said... :lol:

Still, really looking forward to AITD 1 and 3. As far as I'm concerned, they should have priority over AITD 2 since that one already had a console port.

And I already finished that one... :mrgreen:

Corbyn
Developer

Post#18 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:57 pm

The thing is that AITD2 was already supported in fitd - the problem lies in Alone3 using the majority of Alone2's code. Therefore, in order to support Alone3, I need to fix the second game first. I personally agree the second game would be anyone's last priority (just based on the game itself) but it's crucial I get it working before supporting the last one.

The copy protection method AITD3 uses is cd-based. I went online and found a cracked DOS (non-CD) version of Alone3 to work with first. I don't consider this piracy as I own both the original AITD3 release and the GOG.com release. I'm only really using it for debugging purposes. Since fitd doesn't read CD data, the crackers had to manually patch it in - it's finding that patch in this new executable that's going to take some time if I decide to implement it automatically. The crappy thing is that since AITD3 is entirely CD-based, no voice-overs or music will translate over, so I'll eventually have to (or have someone else) slap in a read method for that. It's beyond my scope of knowledge when it comes to that stuff.

It would be much easier if the source code to the Alone engine was released, but since this is a disassemble...things take time and don't work properly. I can get it to emulate the original about 90% of the time. But that's OK, because when it's working I'm not sure anyone will care THAT much.

Jenkins
MicroMidget

Post#19 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:58 pm

Thank you for the updates. Please keep up the good work! :)

Conatus
dark night

Post#20 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Great job :) Alone in the Dark is one of my favourite games ever. Are you planning on releasing the source code so it can be ported to other sistems?