Turbo Duo

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

shinerbock
fire

Turbo Duo

Post#1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 pm

So, I was thinking I might buy a Nintendo Switch when it comes out in March, but realized that there was a reason I never bothered with the Wii or Wii U; so instead, I just ordered a Turbo Duo off eBay. I had a TG16 + CD back in the day, and even had an adapter for it that let me play Japanese Super CDs, so I'm really looking forward to playing some of my old favorites again as well as some new games that I didn't even know existed back then (hello, Dracula X!).

Anyway, it should arrive later this week or early next week. Gonna start with Forgotten Worlds, a game I played a bunch on the Genesis but never experienced on the TG16. Supposedly it's better than the Genesis version? Guess we'll find out. Any of you guys/girls TG16/PCE/Duo owners? Would love to hear what you think of the system.

Shiner

Xiden
Developer

Re: Turbo Duo

Post#2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:19 pm

I'm a Duo owner, mines RGB/Region modded. I recommend obtaining a TG16/PCE Flash cart due to the rapidly increasing costs of TG16 games. Rondo of blood probably the best game on the unit, if you ever obtain a Super Grafx, get Ghost and Goblins (considered the definitive port)

shinerbock
fire

Post#3 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:28 pm

Cool, thanks. Mine will be RGB/Region modded as well (recapped too, which apparently is important). I've played Rondo of Blood on the PSP (Dracula X Chronicles) but it's never the same when it's not on the original hardware. No Super Grafx yet, but GnG would definitely THE reason to get one.

I'm a big shooter fan, so I'll be looking into Gate of Thunder/Lords of Thunder, Macross 2036, Gradius 2, others...I had Super Darius, Download 2, and R-Type Complete CD back in the day so would love to find copies of those as well. My bank account hates me.

Shiner

shinerbock
fire

Post#4 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:35 pm

BTW, is your RGB mod for SCART or Component?

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#5 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:41 pm

I still own Magic Engine, does that count? :x
The PC Enigine is by far the best console of its generation imo
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:39 am

shinerbock wrote:BTW, is your RGB mod for SCART or Component?

Mine is rgb scart :).

Mine is a turbo duo -R which was made with better caps and components. If yours is an R or RX you likely wont need to recap. But if you have a regular duo then its pretty much mandatory to get recaped. The caps are as bad as gamegear caps lol

shinerbock
fire

Post#7 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:38 pm

Yeah, technically I bought a PC Engine Duo (NOT an R), not a Turbo Duo, which I guess was the US release of the PCE Duo. But it's already recapped, so that shouldn't be an issue for me. Oh, and mine is SCART modded as well, so I'll need a converter to play it on my non-SCART compatible display. It's all totally worth it, right? ;)

Xiden
Developer

Post#8 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Framemister!

shinerbock
fire

Post#9 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:13 am

Xiden wrote:Framemister!

No joke, still need to find one of those...

On another note, I sure find shopping for used games on Amazon to a be a real pain, at least for the PCE. Sellers don't seem to want to tell you straight up if the game includes just the disc, or the original case/manual/spine card, etc. Many times they'll just have a generic message saying "Game is in used condition, may not include one or more parts..." or something to that effect. Annoying.

shinerbock
fire

Post#10 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Well, so much for Forgotten Worlds...I had bought the game + 3-button controller package. Opened the box, controller was there, but not the game. Seller doesn't have another copy. I swear...

Return to “Other Consoles”