Dreamcast Live Game Suggestion Thread

Official Dreamcast Live competition forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Dreamcast Live Game Suggestion Thread

Post#131 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:46 pm

CD AGES wrote:But how would that go about... speed run, score attack???

I don't really know as I'm not that familiar with the modes in PS2. In order for it to be "eligible" for a competition, you need to be able to easily take a picture of your score or time. As long as that's the case then it will work fine for a competition.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#132 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:50 pm

Game modes for PS2
-1 on 1
-Original (Versus mode)
-Adventure
-Arcade

I think arcade mode would be the most suitable for Live competition.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#133 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:59 pm

Yeah, I guess Power Stone 2 would work. I just looked at my Dreamcast anniversary live stream replay and it did show your score at the end of the game, albeit very briefly. You would have to make sure to have your camera ready.
PSO Characters:

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#134 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:26 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:Yeah, I guess Power Stone 2 would work. I just looked at my Dreamcast anniversary live stream replay and it did show your score at the end of the game, albeit very briefly. You would have to make sure to have your camera ready.

They also show a records table at some point, so if one was to miss it, the score could probably be taken from that.

I think it would be better suited to a speed run, since otherwise we'd have to blunder around the stage collecting all the money. Perhaps on a harder difficulty as well, since we might otherwise just end up button mashing and backing the enemies into corners, which wouldn't take much skill.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#135 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:31 am

They also show a records table at some point, so if one was to miss it, the score could probably be taken from that.

I think it would be better suited to a speed run, since otherwise we'd have to blunder around the stage collecting all the money. Perhaps on a harder difficulty as well, since we might otherwise just end up button mashing and backing the enemies into corners, which wouldn't take much skill.

Money!? The game scores you for MUCH more than just currency collected. As a matter of fact, Money only plays a major factor in Adventure mode, not arcade mode (money barely pops up in Arcade mode). With that said. I wouldn't be against a speed run. In regards to difficulty, by level 5 difficulty setting, the game becomes quite challenging for those that aren't accustomed to the game, so keep in mind pcwzrd.

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#136 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:31 am

CD AGES wrote:Money!? The game scores you for MUCH more than just currency collected. As a matter of fact, Money only plays a major factor in Adventure mode, not arcade mode (money barely pops up in Arcade mode). With that said. I wouldn't be against a speed run. In regards to difficulty, by level 5 difficulty setting, the game becomes quite challenging for those that aren't accustomed to the game, so keep in mind pcwzrd.

Actually, you're right. I'd forgotten about the arcade mode, since I used to play adventure mode so frequently. I retract my previous statement.

everynewday84
Nemesis

Post#137 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Resident Evil: Code Veronica's Battle Mode

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#138 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Hm. I just played arcade mode in Power Stone today. It seems there's quite a bit of money. And while you're right about the difficulty increasing radically with each setting, don't you think it might be an issue that contestants might resort to cheap tactics?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#139 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:19 pm

everynewday84 wrote:Resident Evil: Code Veronica's Battle Mode

Hmmm, looks like it would work perfectly for a competition. Only problem is you have to unlock it by completing the game. I don't usually like to have competitions that require you to unlock something but if enough people agree with you then I would consider it. Anyone else want to vote for CV Battle Mode?
PSO Characters:

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#140 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:09 am

Hm. I just played arcade mode in Power Stone today. It seems there's quite a bit of money. And while you're right about the difficulty increasing radically with each setting, don't you think it might be an issue that contestants might resort to cheap tactics?

I never said money never pops up in arcade mode, it's just not as prevelant as Adventure mode where you can literally farm for money as you suggested in one of your posts which makes sense for this mode considering the purpose of this mode is to collect items and currency which in turn allows you to buy even more items. Cheap tactics!? I don't see how that can play a role in a scenario where the purpose of competing for a high score is the name of the game. Advance (cheap) tactics like tech chasing for example are beneficial to inflict maximum damage and defeat the opposition as swiftly as possible, with little emphasis on scoring, as the real nature of this game is to knock out the opponent as any fighting game encourages.